Refrigerator issues - and resolutions - 2005 Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Refrigerator issues - and resolutions - 2005 Casita

Well I wanted to give back to the forum. I had 2 fridge issues and I worked thru them - just wanted to share with the community in case anybody else can find the info useful.

Rule of thumb - if the fridge cools in ac but not gas, or gas but not ac - the unit does not need replaced! Find the specific ac or gas issue - but the fridge itself does not need replaced.

First problem - Last year I kept having issues in 110v. It was blowing the breaker on whatever I was plugged into. Or tripping the ground fault. I plugged the fridge into a separate extension cord and it worked! Narrowed down to the problem being the Casita, not the fridge! After looking around and seeing my rv outlet being kinda black, I tried the easy step first - I replaced the 110v outlet behind the lower cover the fridge plugged into. Problem fixed!

Second problem - fast forward to this year. Fridge cools great (34*) on a/c but only cools to (48*) on gas. Check the flame. It burns fine I think. I blow out the burner with compressed air to clean it. No luck. Next I take out the orifice and clean it with a spray "electronic cleaner" which is fast evaporate. Hole looks clear. Blow out burner again. Put her back together. No luck! Take burner completely off! Clean it to like new! Reinstall. Flame still, but (48*). No luck! So next I look at stove - I notice burner flames are ok, but not so big. I decide $50 is better than a service call. I replace the LP regulator between the LP tanks on the tongue with a new regulator. Big flames on stove, and fridge cooled down to (33*). FIXED!!

I hope this helps! They are easy DIY fixes before you take her into a repair shop!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
Thanks for the tip, never thought about the regulator.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Good info, thanks for sharing.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry