Refrigerator Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #1

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Refrigerator Question

Greetings all,
Let me start off by saying it is my plan to remove the dead refrigerator out of my Scamp, including all the guts. I was a Home Depot today and saw a mini refrigerator (mind you, I don't know the exact size) which seemed to be bigger than the unit I plan on removing. That being said, it was a tempting 159.00 for a Magic Chef electric refrigerator. NOW, I understand the the units in the Scamp are propane run, but considering the cost of a new one it is something I think I could do without. BUT, would it be a good deal to buy this electric Magic Chef knowing that unplugging it and plugging it in time after time will undoubtedly ruin the refrigerator sooner than later. However, if I got a few years out of it, than maybe it is a good deal after all. Please give me your thoughts on the matter.
Thanks
Guy
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A number of people have installed the mini - bar type refrigerators in FG trailers. You need to make sure the refrigerator will have enough ventilation, as many don't have a coil on the back like a big refrigerator, but instead dissipate heat through the side walls.

Plugging it in each time you go to a new campground should not hurt it. The downside is that you can't run it without 110 volt electricity.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...igerator&sa=Go
Old 05-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Scamp also sells an ice box that fits in the same location. Much less $$ than a propane fridge. at $105 it is less than the electric your considering.

http://shop.scamptrailers.com/p-160-ice-box.aspx

Someone posted awhile back that by adding insulation around the back top and sides of ice box when installed that their ice lasted four days.

I guess how well ice box would suit you depends on how long you camp, how far you travel in a day, and if the campgrounds you go to always have electricity at the site.

Blue ice packs in freezer can help electric fridge stay semi-cold while traveling if freezer is metal box inside fridge, re-freeze when you plug in for the next days travel. Ice box don't care if you driving or parked it stays the same temp.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator