regarding oak interiors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #1

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
regarding oak interiors

What is your taste in FGRV woodwork? Snowed in this weekend by Snowzilla, I've been poking around window shopping for my next trailer (a five to ten year plan) and I'm a little amazed that the wondrous Escape uses oak, which reminds me of my family's dining room in the 1980s.

Scamp at least offers a birch option.

Isn't oak one of the heaviest of the woods? To me it's like putting a real granite kitchen countertop in a travel trailer - a pointless increase in overall weight. I hope Escape decides to diversify their wood choices in the next decade because I really like them otherwise!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's not solid oak- mostly veneered.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It's not solid oak- mostly veneered.
Oh, that's good to know - makes a lot more sense. Though I'm afraid oak-look still is so weirdly antiquated.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
So are a lot of trailer buyers...

Did you see the used Scamp for sale in CA with walnut cabinet doors? Don't know if it's really walnut or just walnut stained, but it sure looks sharp against the white fiberglass with stainless steel accents.

Name:   Scamp Reno.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  20.3 KB
Old 01-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All themes and wood cabinetry in homes is cyclical.

I don't even notice the oak in Ten Forward. Only the cabinet doors are solid oak, the walls are a printed look veneer (to save weight). Bigfoot has used walnut and cherry and I find those to be dark. If I had my druthers, I would prefer a white pickled oak. But with my fabric choice, Formica color of my choosing, throw rugs and throw pillows... the cabinetry is secondary.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Amish made Cherry

I our previous 2011 Scamp 13 standard we had Amish made cherry cabinet doors and solid table.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...lbums1226.html

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
The MDF boards used, with or without real oak/birch trims are themselves VERY heavy. Lifting or lowering an MDF board for a dinette is similar to weight training at the gym. There is so much MDF induced weight injected into these FGRVs. While Scamp's "deluxe" appears to have nice wood (and it does) so much of it, largely the panels, are still MDF. The interior hatch covers too. It all adds up.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Oh, that's good to know - makes a lot more sense. Though I'm afraid oak-look still is so weirdly antiquated.

Trends come and go to everything but any kind of real wood is a thing of beauty to a woodworker. Certain woods work better than others for the theme you're going for.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #9

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
I love oak.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The oak doors in The Scamp we owned came unglued.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post
I love oak.
Me too. With the right stain it is a nice warm color that is not too dark. If I ever get around to setting my woodworking equipment up where I can properly make some cabinet doors I will probably use Oak. Although I have quite a bit of Hard Rock Maple on hand. There is not enough wood in all the cabinet doors to make a lot of difference weight wise. And some nice panel doors shouldn't really be any heavier than the original plywood.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Me too. With the right stain it is a nice warm color that is not too dark. If I ever get around to setting my woodworking equipment up where I can properly make some cabinet doors I will probably use Oak. Although I have quite a bit of Hard Rock Maple on hand. There is not enough wood in all the cabinet doors to make a lot of difference weight wise. And some nice panel doors shouldn't really be any heavier than the original plywood.
That's one of the reasons I love the fiberglass interiors. Doors are an easy sway, and you can have any look you want.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
The oak doors in The Scamp we owned came unglued.
I would venture the guess that the problem with your oak doors is due more to the type of material used / construction method and the glue used to assemble the cabinets / doors than the type of wood used (oak , Ash ,cherry hickory etc.). I built 40 ft of oak / ash cabinets 5 Years ago using Titebond II glue. The doors are glued and doweled and have been subject to temps from 30 below to 100 deg and none of the doors have deteriorated.
I have never had good luck with veneered MDF holding up to humidity and large temperature changes.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #14

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would venture the guess that the problem with your oak doors is due more to the type of material used / construction method and the glue used to assemble the cabinets / doors than the type of wood used (oak , Ash ,cherry hickory etc.). I built 40 ft of oak / ash cabinets 5 Years ago using Titebond II glue. The doors are glued and doweled and have been subject to temps from 30 below to 100 deg and none of the doors have deteriorated.
I have never had good luck with veneered MDF holding up to humidity and large temperature changes.
I replaced all of the MDF doors in our Scamp with paneled doors of cherry. Since I use Titebond II for all of my woodworking, that is what I used for these doors. I found that the new solid Cherry doors are in fact, lighter in weight than the original vinyl clad MDF.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #15
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
We like the look of the oak in our Escape , it's light and oak is a good hard durable wood that can take a fair bit of wear . Love cherry but I think the cost would go up considerably and wear and tear would be more noticeable . Maple or birch.....natural they get pretty yellow over time ( especially birch - which is often used in place of or passed off as maple ) .... Painted wood ...something I wood do if it were very worn out looking . Foil coated doors ...hmm ..that's just MDF or HDF .....no thanks ....( MDF is heavier ) . Everything ETI uses is really well thought out and cleanly put together . It is easy enough to add " fluff stuff" to dress up and personalize ..... Yup we really like our Escape with the light Oak !
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
I was buying some lumber for a project a few days ago and as I was lifting some fairly small pieces thought how heavy the campers are with full wood trim. Granted I love wood and they look great but that weight thing. I did replace all my doors with birch wish I could afford birds eye maple! Love that stuff.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #17

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Our LiL Snoozy has light oak cabinetry. There is no MDF or particle board in this trailer. it is all solid oak or oak plywood.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #18

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
The red oak stile-and-rail doors I made for my Casita weigh less than half the weight of the OEM composite.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I like all species of real wood, but dislike mdf. The fake oak-look mdf doors in our Scamp are still there only because they are in excellent shape and I have about 700 other projects!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #20

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
For me(and this is just me) I think hickory with a clear or "cider" finish is the most beautiful. The lighter tones and varying hues just looks so good. But I haven't seen it done in a trailer. We re-did a bathroom in Hickory in our present home and a complete kitchen in our last home and never tired of it. It appears more natural (and expensive) to my eye.
OhTom is offline   Reply With Quote