Regular RV Pros and Cons - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
One thing I thoroughly enjoy about being a fiberglass travel trailer owner (Bigfoot) is being able to walk right by the rather extensive aisle at the local RV shop where all the roof sealing material lives. It's amazing how many different sealing products there are, all claiming to solve the woes caused by your leaking RV roof. I can't help but chuckle every time I walk by that section of the store.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #16

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
They are RV ing not camping .

Amen, and again, amen.

To each his own.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There's another pro/con. When we started RVing we drove a gas powered motorhome, we got 7.5 mpg. At today's prices and worse yet future prices, it would have been less affordable for our type of travel.

Though 5th wheels tend to get better mileage, not much better. Most of the 5th wheel trucks are diesel with even higher fuel per gallon fuel costs. It encourages
most people to drive somewhere and stay put.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #18

Florida
Quote:
I agree, but to some our fiberglass eggs are too small , to the point of being claustrophobic. Many when traveling want to bring home with them .They are RV ing not camping . Many only stay at resorts with full hookup .. plus Expensive is relative to their personal finances. I could have purchased a 24 ft trailer with a lot more amenities for less than the cost of my 17ft Casita . My friend who just purchased a 34 ft fifth wheel is well over 70 years old, so long term resale value was not a factor in his decision . His biggest concern was " Creature Comforts"
Our fiberglass trailers are a niche in the total RV market and our often sparsely equipped when compared to stick built trailers . You can have fun with either style of trailer
Steve,

We have tons of Escapee full-timer friends who traveled all of North America in large RVs, having sold their homes. For us when we started it was hard to consider that kind of travel in a Scamp sized rig (not so many any more). (Most of them traveled before fuel costs got so high.)

I think I would have had difficulty coaxing her to start a new lifestyle in a Scamp. On the other hand had we started by tent camping it would have been easy. Sometimes it's where you come from.

As to stick built versus fiberglass we. like many, have owned small trailers of both types and almost identical ages. The stick built was totally destroyed by water, though a great little trailer. Our fiberglass trailer is maybe better than new. An old fiberglass trailer can be easily brought forward because the core is usually strong and the part that isn't, is easily repairable.

I guess we're not claustrophobic, maybe because we 'see through walls' to the outdoors around us. Really not kidding, there's a bigness about camping, frequently no one around, usually quiet, often the feeling of just the two of us and the world. Whatever it's a good life and a fiberglass RV is a good choice. Today one can get a fiberglass RV with practically any amenity I expect the years to continually provide improved layout and style.

This really the case if you include our cousins the Airstreams. There is nothing to prevent the amenity level of an Airstream but buyer demand and time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #19

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
size limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Steve,

We have tons of Escapee full-timer friends who traveled all of North America in large RVs, having sold their homes. For us when we started it was hard to consider that kind of travel in a Scamp sized rig (not so many any more). (Most of them traveled before fuel costs got so high.)

I think I would have had difficulty coaxing her to start a new lifestyle in a Scamp. On the other hand had we started by tent camping it would have been easy. Sometimes it's where you come from.

As to stick built versus fiberglass we. like many, have owned small trailers of both types and almost identical ages. The stick built was totally destroyed by water, though a great little trailer. Our fiberglass trailer is maybe better than new. An old fiberglass trailer can be easily brought forward because the core is usually strong and the part that isn't, is easily repairable.

I guess we're not claustrophobic, maybe because we 'see through walls' to the outdoors around us. Really not kidding, there's a bigness about camping, frequently no one around, usually quiet, often the feeling of just the two of us and the world. Whatever it's a good life and a fiberglass RV is a good choice. Today one can get a fiberglass RV with practically any amenity I expect the years to continually provide improved layout and style.

This really the case if you include our cousins the Airstreams. There is nothing to prevent the amenity level of an Airstream but buyer demand and time.
You and I have different expectations from a travel trailer than many others . Many of the features in a larger trailer will not physically fit in our small fiberglass eggs such as a 10 cu ft refrigerator with freezer or an apartment size oven or a bed with the space to walk around the bed or a dry bathroom with seperate shower or full size reclining chairs to relax in.. I could go on and on .Our fiberglass trailers are rather Spartan when compared to a $200 K Class A motor home . My wife and I like the intimacy of our 17 ft Casita but we can understand that it's not for everyone . Sometimes on this forum it seems that we look down on people with larger NON fiberglass trailers with self righteous moral disdain . I have friends who have stated that if they had to spend more than a weekend in our little 17 ft. Casita they would stay home. Our small fiberglass trailers are a personal choice just as the choice made by others to travel in a 36 ft fifth wheel. I admire those who can fit 2 adults , a couple of kids and a dog in a 13 ft egg but it does not work for us.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Considering the extras and amenities of that specific camper. Outside shower, sound system, double door fridge yada yada yada. Seems like a lot of money went into the shiny knobs, and blinky lights you can see. The manufactures cost for that stuff had to come from somewhere, my guess is it would come from the money spent on building the actual trailer. Looking at it no way to tell how thick (or thin) the aluminum sides are for example, or are the doors essentially cardboard & contact paper. You get the idea.

Resale matters as does maintainability and is independent of who owns the camper. Usability matters, but usability is very specific to the person. Weight and size as it impacts on fuel economy and TV required, amenities and features, flexibility for different types of camping you want to do. All have different relevance that is owner specific.

I know folks that really liked their all electric EggCamper. Would not work for me and my boondocking ways. A wet bath would simply not suit my sister. I may get twice her gas mileage but she likes a living room and full bath ( I could fit my scamp in her 5th wheel living room)

Can't really compare a two door Mercedes (scamp) to a full size Kia (that sticky). Except to point out the things that are different and let the person decide how much weight to give each of those differences.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
When I started thinking about it two, three years ago, I quickly concluded that fiberglass shell is it. I saw the neighbor spreading buckets of goo on the roof of his RV, and I knew immediately what I do NOT want.
The point I would like to make is that the FG roof does not do much for you if it is a windy, rainy day or, if you have to travel in rain. With head wind, your air speed could be 80 miles per hour or more! We have done it

From noaa.gov:
Category 1
Sustained Winds 74-95 mph
Types of Damage Due to Hurricane Winds Very dangerous winds will produce some damage: Well-constructed frame homes could have damage to roof, shingles, vinyl siding and gutters. Large branches of trees will snap and shallowly rooted trees may be toppled. Extensive damage to power lines and poles likely will result in power outages that could last a few to several days.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Claustrophobia is a disorder characterized by an irrational fear of enclosed spaces.
The best therapy for a case of ersatz claustrophobia is the purchase and use of a small fiberglass travel trailer! After a few nights the "fear" melts away and becomes a sense of snug security!
Caution... After a year or so of owning your small fiberglass trailer, you may start to develop a sense of agoraphobia upon entry into a large stickbuilt, which only adds to the queasy feeling when buying fuel!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Regular RV Pros are cost (initial), features, availability, and layout. I can go out any day of the week and find a brand new stickie that meets my camping needs and style and they will be glad to finance it on terms my budget can afford. If it is not at my local dealer somebody near by will have one or they will be quick to get one here. I would have to order a new FGRV, wait months, pay more (perhaps a lot more), go to the factory and get it or pay somebody to bring it to me (from maybe wwwaaaayyyy off), and live with a limited number of layouts. Used is a different story, I am not really interested in a used stickie now that I know all the construction advantages of a FGRV.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #24

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Oh I love all the above answers. My two cents have been said before much more eloquently.
1. Less Weight 2. Better gas mileage 3. Future value 4. Better built
I live outside also, don't need a bigger camper, don't want TV's, Stereos, microwaves, fireplaces etc.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Not mentioned is that the trailer in question has corrugated siding which means hundreds of little places to leak at the front and back ends of the side panels. It got so I refused to even attempt and wall repairs on RV's with that construction as in fond on many Dolphins
Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Isn't it grand how very much alike we all seem to be... but at the same time very different?

I'm approaching "retirement" age, whatever that may be. What I desired and wanted 10-15 years ago is different than today. I'm looking at an ever narrowing tunnel.

I'm just waiting for a roll-up 60" television so I can carry it into Ten Forward, unroll it on the lounge, crawl up in the loft... and watch the Super Bowl while I'm eating popcorn that I've cooked in my microwave! All the while, it's 37 degrees outside and the rain is coming down sideways. Yep, that's what I want. Oh, and give me a built in vacuum cleaner too please.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #27

Florida
Dreams can come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Isn't it grand how very much alike we all seem to be... but at the same time very different?

I'm approaching "retirement" age, whatever that may be. What I desired and wanted 10-15 years ago is different than today. I'm looking at an ever narrowing tunnel.

I'm just waiting for a roll-up 60" television so I can carry it into Ten Forward, unroll it on the lounge, crawl up in the loft... and watch the Super Bowl while I'm eating popcorn that I've cooked in my microwave! All the while, it's 37 degrees outside and the rain is coming down sideways. Yep, that's what I want. Oh, and give me a built in vacuum cleaner too please.
It's nice that everything you want is reachable.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #28
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
You can have fun with either style of trailer
So true Steve

IK123.... The other day my gal says to me she misses the out door feel of camping that we had with the Coleman pop up. She did a Kijiji search and came up with this idea.

OMG, a sticky hybrid.

What the heck was she thinking?? Wally Byam I'm sure rolled over in his grave (as we have an Airstream).

To appease her we went to the local RV dealer just 2 hours ago and checked out this 08 18' Cub. I have to admit. The space inside was nice....... actually it was very nice, considering it was 6' shorter than our current trailer.

Anyway the thought of towing a big white box with leaf springs put a chill up my back. Stay tuned, who knows what the future may bring when the will of a women prevails. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
2008 Aerolite 185 cub.jpg