Regular RV Pros and Cons - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
When I started thinking about it two, three years ago, I quickly concluded that fiberglass shell is it. I saw the neighbor spreading buckets of goo on the roof of his RV, and I knew immediately what I do NOT want.
The point I would like to make is that the FG roof does not do much for you if it is a windy, rainy day or, if you have to travel in rain. With head wind, your air speed could be 80 miles per hour or more! We have done it

From noaa.gov:
Category 1
Sustained Winds 74-95 mph
Types of Damage Due to Hurricane Winds Very dangerous winds will produce some damage: Well-constructed frame homes could have damage to roof, shingles, vinyl siding and gutters. Large branches of trees will snap and shallowly rooted trees may be toppled. Extensive damage to power lines and poles likely will result in power outages that could last a few to several days.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Claustrophobia is a disorder characterized by an irrational fear of enclosed spaces.
The best therapy for a case of ersatz claustrophobia is the purchase and use of a small fiberglass travel trailer! After a few nights the "fear" melts away and becomes a sense of snug security!
Caution... After a year or so of owning your small fiberglass trailer, you may start to develop a sense of agoraphobia upon entry into a large stickbuilt, which only adds to the queasy feeling when buying fuel!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Regular RV Pros are cost (initial), features, availability, and layout. I can go out any day of the week and find a brand new stickie that meets my camping needs and style and they will be glad to finance it on terms my budget can afford. If it is not at my local dealer somebody near by will have one or they will be quick to get one here. I would have to order a new FGRV, wait months, pay more (perhaps a lot more), go to the factory and get it or pay somebody to bring it to me (from maybe wwwaaaayyyy off), and live with a limited number of layouts. Used is a different story, I am not really interested in a used stickie now that I know all the construction advantages of a FGRV.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #24

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Oh I love all the above answers. My two cents have been said before much more eloquently.
1. Less Weight 2. Better gas mileage 3. Future value 4. Better built
I live outside also, don't need a bigger camper, don't want TV's, Stereos, microwaves, fireplaces etc.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Not mentioned is that the trailer in question has corrugated siding which means hundreds of little places to leak at the front and back ends of the side panels. It got so I refused to even attempt and wall repairs on RV's with that construction as in fond on many Dolphins

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Isn't it grand how very much alike we all seem to be... but at the same time very different?

I'm approaching "retirement" age, whatever that may be. What I desired and wanted 10-15 years ago is different than today. I'm looking at an ever narrowing tunnel.

I'm just waiting for a roll-up 60" television so I can carry it into Ten Forward, unroll it on the lounge, crawl up in the loft... and watch the Super Bowl while I'm eating popcorn that I've cooked in my microwave! All the while, it's 37 degrees outside and the rain is coming down sideways. Yep, that's what I want. Oh, and give me a built in vacuum cleaner too please.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dreams can come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Isn't it grand how very much alike we all seem to be... but at the same time very different?

I'm approaching "retirement" age, whatever that may be. What I desired and wanted 10-15 years ago is different than today. I'm looking at an ever narrowing tunnel.

I'm just waiting for a roll-up 60" television so I can carry it into Ten Forward, unroll it on the lounge, crawl up in the loft... and watch the Super Bowl while I'm eating popcorn that I've cooked in my microwave! All the while, it's 37 degrees outside and the rain is coming down sideways. Yep, that's what I want. Oh, and give me a built in vacuum cleaner too please.
It's nice that everything you want is reachable.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #28
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
You can have fun with either style of trailer
So true Steve

IK123.... The other day my gal says to me she misses the out door feel of camping that we had with the Coleman pop up. She did a Kijiji search and came up with this idea.

OMG, a sticky hybrid.

What the heck was she thinking?? Wally Byam I'm sure rolled over in his grave (as we have an Airstream).

To appease her we went to the local RV dealer just 2 hours ago and checked out this 08 18' Cub. I have to admit. The space inside was nice....... actually it was very nice, considering it was 6' shorter than our current trailer.

Anyway the thought of towing a big white box with leaf springs put a chill up my back. Stay tuned, who knows what the future may bring when the will of a women prevails. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
2008 Aerolite 185 cub.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It's nice that everything you want is reachable.
YEPPERS! And no slide-outs or stickie seams to deal with. It's NIRVANA
Old 08-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #30

Florida
Our first 7 years we traveled in an RV that contained 100 gallons of water and 100 gallons of waste tanks, a huge fridge, real furniture, a home sized shower, a walk around queen bed. Our Scamp has about the volume of the motor home's bedroom. We traveled far, 100,000 miles, and comfortably in our Bounder. We had a really good time. Yes it leaked, and it's roof required maintenance

The amazing part is we're no less happy in our Scamp. It hasn't been the rig but rather the adventure.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
So true Steve

IK123.... The other day my gal says to me she misses the out door feel of camping that we had with the Coleman pop up. She did a Kijiji search and came up with this idea.

OMG, a ... hybrid.
BUT, you know there WAS an all molded towable hybrid.. right? The Northern Lite. The front end bumbed out into a tent. And you could use it or NOT. The rear dinette changed back to a bed... if needed.

Isn't it cool?
Attached Thumbnails
97-Exterior.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #32
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
BUT, you know there WAS an all molded towable hybrid.. right? The Northern Lite. The front end bumbed out into a tent.
Hummmmm, that is interesting news Donna. Will look into the NL. I have to admit though, they are not common trailers around here.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #33

And they're few and far between. But at least if you see a Northern Lite for sale on Craiglist or... you know you should check it out, if that's the build you desire.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #34

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
So true Steve

OMG, a sticky hybrid.

What the heck was she thinking?? Wally Byam I'm sure rolled over in his grave (as we have an Airstream).

To appease her we went to the local RV dealer just 2 hours ago and checked out this 08 18' Cub. I have to admit. The space inside was nice....... actually it was very nice, considering it was 6' shorter than our current trailer.

Anyway the thought of towing a big white box with leaf springs put a chill up my back. Stay tuned, who knows what the future may bring when the will of a women prevails. LOL
I honestly think she would be disappointed with the hybrid. That one tent end is not really the same as having tent screen all the way around you. The only time it would feel similar to your prior popup would be when in the popped-out bed... and then it's probably dark and you can't see anything, but I guess you can hear the canvas flapping if that's what she misses.

Maybe you will have to buy an older used popup on the cheap just to have around for an occasional trip, so she can work it out of her system.

Or better yet, buy a tent like this Coleman Instant Cabin Tent, 6 Person: Outdoor Sports : Walmart.com and a good camp cot or two, like this Coleman - Coleman- ComfortSmartā„¢ Deluxe Cot - ComfortSmartā„¢ Deluxe Cot . Pack them in the tow vehicle, and when you reach the campground you can set up the tent next to the trailer. If she can sit and sleep in the tent but walk into the trailer for the galley and bathroom, this might satisfy her "back to nature" cravings without breaking the budget. I actually have done this very thing myself recently because I have been having some of those feelings, but I don't want to give up hard sides entirely. The tent goes up in about 2-3 minutes, has generous windows on all four sides, and is large enough to very easily hold a cot plus a zero gravity lounger. And the cot (surprisingly comfy with a bit of memory foam added) means no sleeping on the ground.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #35
MC1

Ontario
Mike, some good thoughts/ideas.

BH and myself both like the sounds of nature and I think that is the attraction of having some fabric in the mix.

We do have a Canadian Tire tent which we have been setting up in the back yard for the grandson to sleep in. As you suggested that may be a good idea to take with us when we want get the urge to get the natural ambiance.

I guess another thing to consider is that I myself have recently solved a sleep problem issue (insomnia) and now actually sleep when we go to bed, instead of laying there half the night listening to the sounds of nature.

I really don't want to tow a White box sticky.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #36

Florida
Wayne-

I was looking through Odyssey options and on etrailer came across tents like this for the Odyssey, Certainly the back of the Odyssey would make a great bed, see Frederick's post on the subject.

Rightline Gear Universal Tents - Best Price on Universal Fit SUV Tent & Universal Truck Tents

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #37

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
08 18' Cub. I have to admit. The space inside was nice....... actually it was very nice, considering it was 6' shorter than our current trailer.
So, if it rained on you just before breaking camp what happens to the water on the "tent" end when you fold it up to go home? Does it end up inside the trailer? I have seen these hybrids around here and wonder what somebody in Florida was thinking when they bought one. It rains a lot here you know.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #38

Florida
Tim,

I never thought much about an Odyssey/Tent combo until we purchased the Odyssey and Ginny said it's so large we could live in it. As well in Newfoundland their were two long range travelers in our last Provincial park using their minivan for camping.

Since MC1's wife was interested in more primitive camping environment I thought I'd throw this out. I recall that a storage bag is provided for the tent to take care of a damp tent. Of course most of the new tent fabrics do not absorb water.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #39

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
It really simple the solution to the partner wanting the "feel" of real tent camping. Same thing you do with the teenagers or grandkids. Here is your tent and sleeping bag. With less need to tell your adult partner to stop making so much noise horsing around with the cousins or they won't get smores tomorrow night.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #40

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Wet tent material is always a problem with rain and packing up wet. When tent camping (no trailer), one has little choice about the weather forecast. But I think that with either a tent end on a hybrid trailer or a more simple tent as a supplement to a trailer, one could be mindful of the forecast and only use the tent part when the weather is cooperative. A person might get surprised sometimes, but with due care one could probably avoid the wet-canvas-pack-up situation almost every time.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote