Renovation/Fix-Up... Easier or Harder than you thought? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 MKP Grandesse T (made in Denmark)
#@*%! harder than I thought it would be... just try to find a part for a european egg of which there are maybe three in the US
a lot of creative imagineering going on in my garage!

Old 02-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Shawn:
WOW! That certainly IS a project! When the reassembly stage comes - what are your plans? Putting it back pretty much as it was - or are you going to go custom? In my thinking - after you've gone to the trouble of pulling EVERYTHING out and doing major structural repairs - doing major or moderate customization is pretty easy and fun.

Buck:
I've probably already asked this - but how close is your Uhaul to fitting in the garage? Some folks have swapped tireless rims onto their trailers in order to make them fit - or dropped them down onto skateboards (well... not skateboards - the little gizmos they use to shove cars around in commercial garages). You can lose almost all the space between the ground and the shell that way. I'd hate to have to do that every time out - but just to get it safe and dry at home to do the work might be worth it.

Mike

Old 02-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot
HOLY COW SHAWN!! I don't feel like mine is such a big job now!!! I wish you the very best of luck with your remodel!!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #18

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
We are to the point that we can use our Scamp, took a year and a lot of work, I'll get some recent photos soon. Starting to get cabin fever wanting to take her out but it is -20C with lots of blowing snow right now Those photos were actually taken in the winter, was surprised that the little heater kept her warm enough to work throughout the winter unless the wind was the right direction when I had no floors I am doing a restore as far as my insurance company is concerned, they told me they could not cover a custom rebuild and I am no good at wood work anyways.

Done for this winter as it is the bathroom and bedroom's turn for a remodel in the house
Old 02-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #19

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Shawn-Did you come over to my place and take pictures of my Love Bug 2 years ago??? No, it can't be mine, I had more hole and mold. It sure is nice to show people before and after pictures. The response if always satisfying. I think that I enjoy using my FGRV more because I know that "I" brought it back to life.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
Buck:
I've probably already asked this - but how close is your Uhaul to fitting in the garage? Some folks have swapped tireless rims onto their trailers in order to make them fit - or dropped them down onto skateboards (well... not skateboards - the little gizmos they use to shove cars around in commercial garages). You can lose almost all the space between the ground and the shell that way. I'd hate to have to do that every time out - but just to get it safe and dry at home to do the work might be worth it.

Mike
I have 6'6" of clearance and the U-Haul is around 7'8" high.

I don't think removing the wheels and putting it on casters is going to eliminate 14 inches.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 1978 UNIK
Registry
Hi Shawn, You took on quite a project!! I'm looking forward to the "after" pictures. We have experience fixing up a 1978 Canadian UNIK (look under "Before and After" at our site
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/sallywag...bal.net/albums
The UNIK was made at St. Jerome, Quebec. Have you seen any up where you've gone camping? We haven't come across anyone else who has one. I'm sure your hard work has paid off and this Spring you'll get to really enjoy the fruits of your labor! Happy trails. Terry Sergison
Old 02-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft / Ford Explorer
Registry
Hello and our remodel has gone good so far. We are just remodeling as we go with our goals set for 2 years complete remodel.

check us out as we go on www.photoshow.net/libbycal under renovation for the trailer.

We bought our Boler off of Ebay also. Knew ahead that they had frame troubles so had planned on building a new frame anyways. New one cost us about $1000 and paid $2800 for the trailer. When we are done we expect to have put about 5-6 thousand into it. Still far cheaper then buying new or even a used newer model all fixed up. The pride of showing off your fixes it well worth the labor involved. Hope things work out for you.

Cheryl
Old 02-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #23

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
It depends on what you mean by "remodel." Most of my changes were cosmetic, although we contracted for some window repair and exterior painting. It's amazing what a good clean-up job, a fresh coat of paint, and nice colored fabric will do.

The hardest (read: most time consuming) part was the clean-up. For example, the previous owners covered the backsplash (ensolite) with at least 2 kinds of silicone, glue-gun glue, rubber cement, some unidentified black goop, wall-paper, vinyl, 2 different colors of whitish paint, and a few other things that turned the air blue when I tried to remove them. Then, because it looked like crap, they spray-painted over the whole thing with blue-chip granite paint, which started to flake off because it was put on an unprepared surface. I used every solvent known to man to get it off, and scraped to get in the grooves with a brass bristle brush (looks like a glorified toothbrush). Although it took a fair bit of time to remove, I was in a frustrating headspace at the time and the "cleaning treatment" was therapeutic. More important, the results were worth it.

Yes, it took longer, but I didn't HAVE TO do it to go camping, and had left it like it was for 2 years before tackling the deep clean-up job. The upholstry, curtains, bedspreads, pillows, etc., were done in the winter. Refinishing the cupboards took longer because after I was almost finished (after 2 weeks of sanding), I tried pickling them with bleach, which brought the traces of dark brown stain still imbedded deep into the grain to the surface, and left HORRIBLE tide marks. The whole thing had to be re-sanded - another two weeks, less 3 days spent wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Here's the before and after:

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Surfside.jpg Views: 55 Size: 38.3 KB ID: 6438" style="margin: 2px" />

Click image for larger version

Name:	414289227XrGhKd_ph.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	6439