Repairing from the wind storm - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Thumbs up

We've recently been working on a gated gravel parking pad in the back yard for the trailers (Mitchell ran the packer even). I just got the gates up on Thursday, but they were not secured with drop bolts yet.

Yesterday while we were out at the hardware store getting the last few things a wind storm came through and the 100 kph gusts ripped ripped the gates down and tore the fence posts right apart

The high point here is that I hadn't moved the trailers yet, so they didn't get damaged.

Now I'm hoping to get the repairs done as soon as I can as winter is just around the corner. I'm wondering how I'm going to get the old cemented in posts out since there is nothing but the broken stumps there and I don't know to grab onto that to pull them out? Any of you handy folks have any helpful ideas besides spending a very long couple of days with a shovel? I think the concrete will need to come out also and then I can put in heavier posts than what was used originally for the fence. Thanks
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A sledgehammer and a shovel... don't forget to wear safety glasses! OR, you maybe able to rent a concrete jackhammer. I've just read (isn't Google wonderful!), you may be able to drill into the concrete (concrete bit) to help with the sledgehammer part.

Sorry for the problem. I often find myself going three steps forward and two steps back on projects.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Lainey... You could try drilling a hole thru the pipe/wood post stump/attach a chain via a bolt&nut then use an old bumper jack from the wreckers to pull the chain/pipe/wood post/cement up out of the hole!!! Good luck and remember never turn your back on a Chinook!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
I often find myself going three steps forward and two steps back on projects.
Donna, I hear you on that! Just when I think a project is done... wham

Al: The fence posts are (were) wood, not metal, but maybe I can get down far enough to the good wood to try to drill and put a chain through. Do you think I could attach the chain to the hitch on my truck to do the pulling, or am I asking for more trouble?

Just got the today's paper and the front page has a picture of a cracked power pole in Red Deer where they had only 85 km/h winds. 102 km/h winds in Edmonton resulted in one fatality, tree vs car. Crazy weather.

At least if it were truly a Chinook we would have some warmer weather, today is below seasonal with a high of zero degrees C (that's freezing for you south of the border folks)
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Lainey... The truck might work if you go at it slow... I once had our local towing co. come out to tow a landscape rock(1000#) to firmer ground!!! He had the time&winch... I had the $$$'s!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
MAN, that really sux Lainey!!

If money isn't too much of a concern there are some VERY small back hoes available to rent that would get the job done fast and not make much of a mess.

The chain to the back of a truck might work as well but it might depend what the truck was parked on to do the pulling. It might just sit n spin IF its on a lawn area making yet another mess. Is parking it on a HARD surface driveway an option? Instead of pulling with the truck, you could use the truck as an anchor and just use a come-along to hoist the set cement out of the ground and just pull the cement out slowly using the come-along. Either way, some heavy duty digging is going to be needed to get this chain involved somehow.

If you plan to re-do these posts and still rely on wood posts (I'm assuming they are 4X4's?) you might consider using these new 'super spikes' (I'm sure they have another name) They are basically heavy gauge metal fence post brackets that are welded to the top(s) of metal 'spikes' that are meant to be submerged in ground/cement. When you set these spikes in whatever medium you decide to use, you install the posts in the spikes 'saddle' then simply tighten the two nuts n bolts that form a clamp to hold the posts stationary. This makes removal (or replacement) of the wood posts (for whatever reason) a snap to do. ....just a thought
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton

http://postpullers.com/
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
That's basically an engine hoist. If you have any car-buff friends they may have one.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote