Repelling bugs in Canada - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #21

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
There is not a single mosquito in Canada. They are all married and have large families.
How big are they? 4 or 5 can carry away a team of horses.

Cutters repellants used to work well.
The gnats have been fierce here in eastern Iowa. Vanilla Extract does work!
This is just a legend, they are not as big as they say ...:RÉ
Attached Thumbnails
Mosquitos in Canada.jpg  
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:22 AM   #22

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Repelling bugs in Canada

Hi I live in New Brunswick and use Deep Woods Off mostly. This works on all the pests that bite. Friends told me listerine will work too but I haven't used it. You will need something, especially mornings and evenings. Coastal areas do not have as many biting insects due to a sea breeze and cooler weather. I have been "feeding" these pests all my life and I'm still here ! I do not like them either !!! Not all ticks carry lyme disease just so you know . I have never had a tick bite and I travel in the woods often. I'm nearly 70 years old .
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I have found the calendar works best. Go in August instead of June. Bugs are well fed by then!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We just got back from a road trip through the region (no Scamp, unfortunately). Bugs were very hit-or-miss. There were a couple of places where they quickly drove us back into the car (followed by a lot of swatting and smears on the glass!), but most places were fine. Inland near water was consistently the worst. Camping in such locations would have been almost not worth the trouble. Bill has a point there.

On the other hand, the scenery was spectacular and the weather splendid in early June. No crowds anywhere, but tulips in bloom everywhere!
Click image for larger version

Name:	25AF8BDF-533E-4AF8-8193-A2FF8412388F.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	129922

Name:	DBE1AF13-52E9-4BA3-8E45-F4477DF96048.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	129921

Name:	C4017C28-B70F-4262-BEA4-4CACF9602076.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	129930
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
My brother was vacationing/ adventuring in Guatemala years ago. He related that they were buying a quart of vanilla every day or two and said it was a cheap beverage and would make you pretty goofy. Never tried it myself.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #26

I spend a lot of time in “wild” areas due to my passion for nature photography. I used to just accept the misery of all the bugs. The DEET products would help but always seemed to be temporary requiring multiple skin applications. My “go to” product is now Permatrin. I treat a light long sleeve shirt, my outdoor pants, a couple of pairs of socks, a lightweight “crush” hat, and a very light pair of gloves. Mosquitos, gnats, and ticks are not a problem any longer. The protection lasts through multiple washings. Permatrin is available in several commercial products, available in all the big name outdoor equipment providers. Careful at farm supply stores as it is also a component of sheep dips and similar products. The insect repellant product is generally applied to clothing and allowed to dry prior to use. It is colorless, odorless, and effective. It is not applied directly to skin. I have been out with other photographers where they are lost in a cloud of bugs, where I am in the clear.
joecf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecf View Post
... My “go to” product is now Permatrin...
Assuming you really mean Permethrin then I agree 1 hundred percent. I use it frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecf View Post
... It is not applied directly to skin. ...
I agree 10,000 million percent.

Anyone who uses it should review the instructions, this guide and the MSDS.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #28

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
Used to be able to get a product called D15 from Amway. Excellent DEET repellent. Don't know if they make it anymore. My mother used to practically bathe us in the stuff. The mosquitoes just love my Dad for some reason and it was the only repellent he ever found effective.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
White cream may have been Avon Skin So Soft... just guessing.
I got a bottle of Brittanies Thyme organic bug repellant last spring, and it seems to work for me against skeeters... but it wears off after 2-3 hours. The stuff smells minty and pleasant. I read that catnip essence works also.
Thanks, Mike. I was hoping someone had a low-toxicity, natural recommendation. DEET and conventional chemical repellents give me awful headaches and sadly, I seem to attract every biting insect within a mile. Have tried some essential oils, but not Brittanies thyme.
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:45 AM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
DEET works best if you don't share it with everyone if everyone is wearing DEET the bugs will have to bite /someone/ to survive, but if someone isn't wearing any, then they are the prime target.

ultraviolet bug zappers work great, btw.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #31

Name: james
Trailer: In the market
WI
please don't

please don't "fog" the forest and kill everything that moves. all your anti-bug actions should applied to your person only.
jim60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #32

Name: judd
Trailer: Vixen 21 SE, Trailmanor 2619
Minnesota
The Best Natural Mosquito Repellent is Pennyroyal Oil, just don't take it internally.
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #33

Name: Vince
Trailer: Fleetwood , Trillium
Manitoba
Sure fire cure

Alexander Keith’s beer or Capt Morgan’s dark rum. If it doesn’t stop them you won’t care!!
Seriously, Deet is the only answer. The stronger the better. Applied as often as necessary.
Enjoy your trip. That’s my home stomping grounds.
Gasaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Eat lots of garlic , don’t bathe and a heavy coat of 100% Deet .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #35

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Get one of those handheld bug zappers that look like a tennis racket from Harbor Freight or Walmart.
Might not keep all the bugs off you, but all the flashes from zapped ones can be entertaining. Also the smell of burning mosquito flesh seems to repel them.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #36

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Any area that is infested with the Lyme disease Tick should be of concern.

Having been unlucky enough to live in the region of Connecticut that first was infected with the Lyme Tick (Lyme, Connecticut)...I managed to contract Lyme disease....not a very pleasant experience!!
Once you contract Lyme disease there is a long battle taking antibiotics quite often for months.

Yes DEET does repel mosquitoes but ticks can be another matter.

Best method is to find a specialized spray that contains “PERMETHRIN”
This product is not for application to human skin.....it is sprayed on the exterior
surface of clothing and allowed to dry. The method I used was to put all my outdoor clothing on hangers and hang them outside in a tree ....spray them well and then allow them to dry.......this application will last through several laundry cycles.

When a Tick hitches a ride on your treated clothing he dies in a matter of minutes. I have seen this on many occasions.

When in Tick Country try to wear light colored clothing...long pants...long sleeve shirts....tuck pants into your socks....this is serious stuff.
Lyme disease can mean high fever....severe headaches...severe mussel pain.
It is a nasty disease that often returns again and again for years.
My town in Connecticut held public information seminars to educate residents as to the dangers of Lyme disease.
Bad news is most doctors do not know how to treat this disease. They prescribe a 21 day antibiotic treatment of low dose antibiotic and that has been found to be ineffective.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:12 PM   #37

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Thanks Uplander, that's very good and timely information.
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:38 PM   #38

Name: Jessica
Trailer: airstream
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
DEET works best if you don't share it with everyone if everyone is wearing DEET the bugs will have to bite /someone/ to survive, but if someone isn't wearing any, then they are the prime target.

ultraviolet bug zappers work great, btw.

do u mean if everyone is wearing DEET, the bugs will in the end still go ahead and bite someone?
won't they die or something?
sassyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:39 PM   #39

Name: Jessica
Trailer: airstream
New Jersey
argh so much bugs at my site area
sassyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:11 AM   #40

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Any area that is infested with the Lyme disease Tick should be of concern.

Having been unlucky enough to live in the region of Connecticut that first was infected with the Lyme Tick (Lyme, Connecticut)...I managed to contract Lyme disease....not a very pleasant experience!!
Once you contract Lyme disease there is a long battle taking antibiotics quite often for months.

Yes DEET does repel mosquitoes but ticks can be another matter.

Best method is to find a specialized spray that contains “PERMETHRIN”
This product is not for application to human skin.....it is sprayed on the exterior
surface of clothing and allowed to dry. The method I used was to put all my outdoor clothing on hangers and hang them outside in a tree ....spray them well and then allow them to dry.......this application will last through several laundry cycles.

When a Tick hitches a ride on your treated clothing he dies in a matter of minutes. I have seen this on many occasions.

When in Tick Country try to wear light colored clothing...long pants...long sleeve shirts....tuck pants into your socks....this is serious stuff.
Lyme disease can mean high fever....severe headaches...severe mussel pain.
It is a nasty disease that often returns again and again for years.
My town in Connecticut held public information seminars to educate residents as to the dangers of Lyme disease.
Bad news is most doctors do not know how to treat this disease. They prescribe a 21 day antibiotic treatment of low dose antibiotic and that has been found to be ineffective.
Article about "PERMETHRIN" for fighting ticks in Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...nada-1.4718278
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote