Repelling bugs in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 04:31 AM   #1

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
Repelling bugs in Canada

I will be camping in the maritime provinces in Canada in a couple of weeks. Best ways to protect against Black Flies and mosquitoes? I have ordered netting hats and bracelets. What else?
Thanks!
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We like a product called Bug Soother for gnats. Skin so soft from Avon works for gnats. For Mosquitoes if you do not like deet containing repellants, I have used the thermacell product when hunting and fishing where mosquitoes are a.distraction. Deet works but some folks have a problem with negative effects on them. Otherwise hope for windy weather. Vanilla works for gnats too. But don’t use it all or you won’t be able to make a good banana creme pie.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Deep woods OFF or any other DEET product. The best stuff was some that I had when I was in the army which I think was 100% DEET but it would repel everyone around you as well
Also be aware that there has been a warning for southern New Brunswick about ticks that may carry Lyme disease so if you are walking in the bush then long pants and socks. Also helps with the mosquitoes.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavery View Post
I will be camping in the maritime provinces in Canada in a couple of weeks. Best ways to protect against Black Flies and mosquitoes? I have ordered netting hats and bracelets. What else?
Thanks!
Jean

Probably the same way you would prep for a camping trip at home!
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
There is not a single mosquito in Canada. They are all married and have large families.
How big are they? 4 or 5 can carry away a team of horses.

Cutters repellants used to work well.
The gnats have been fierce here in eastern Iowa. Vanilla Extract does work!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Maine
bugs

Living in Maine, I suspect we share the biting critters with Canada.
The most effective commercially made product we have used is Insect Shield repellant towels. Made by Dymon, ITW Professional Brands l Olathe, Ks. Usually available on EBAY.
Jim Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #7

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
We went camping on the weekend. It was very windy on Saturday and there wasn't a mosquito in sight. They all came back on Sunday!

I generally use OFF but on the recommendation of a friend I'll be trying
a Thermocell repeller in a few weeks. I had it going in the garage last night and it seems to work well.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t...aw.ds#store=69
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I am way bigger than most bugs, so don't worry too much.

I am one who hates wearing bug repellent, so don't. I also am not keen on the cost. Mosquitoes are the worst I usually deal with, and even if I get bit now, I just swat them and can't even tell where I was bit. I used to swell up as a kid, but think I have developed a natural defence to them.

Most others around me do use bug spray, some WAY too excessively IMO.

Too each their own though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #9

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
black fly repellant

I'm a DEET fan, used it hiking in Belize, Amazon jungles. I also pre-spray my outer clothing (pants, shirts, jackets, hats, boots), backpack with Premethrin spray.

But, Deet didn't work for those tiny black flies that took chunks of flesh when they bit during a white water rafting trip in upper NE Quebec. They will attack any flesh not covered and can make life miserable.

The Canadian guides used a white cream that worked perfectly along with wearing mesh hat covers. The cream stayed white on the skin...but no one cared when not being bit.

Perhaps our maritime Canadian FRG friends can tell us the name of this cream?
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #10

Name: Cathi
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Nova Scotia
Lyme ticks

Lyme has arrived in the Maritimes...so please dress accordingly (pants tucked into socks) and check for ticks every night. Some of the ticks are as small as one millimeter...teeny tiny.

Hope you have a wonderful trip with very few insects...wind can be a blessing!
Tillie and Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #11

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Deet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Deep woods OFF or any other DEET product. The best stuff was some that I had when I was in the army which I think was 100% DEET but it would repel everyone around you as well
Also be aware that there has been a warning for southern New Brunswick about ticks that may carry Lyme disease so if you are walking in the bush then long pants and socks. Also helps with the mosquitoes.
Worked for Sarasota Co. FLA Mosquito Control til retirement. DEET is your best defence for bugs including ticks. I personally do not apply it to my skin though. I have a hat and a loose fitting Columbia shirt I keep in my garage on a hanger. Wash only when they get gross. I will spray hat and shirt down with deep woods Off while on the hanger, and let it gas off for 5 minutes before putting on my body over tshirt and on head. I do wear netting when bass fishing or working around the mangroves if the bugs are bad. Fine enough mesh to keep the no seeums out. Tick season spray your ankles and tuck your pants in socks or gators . Worst time is the 1/2 hour before and after sun rise/set for the flying bugs. I do have a propane fogger I have malathion in(like it for it's short half life) . Right at sunset/rise best time to fog. Can give hours of bug free, but read the directions and follow to them to the T, (label is the law). Might double check with Canadian laws. If around other campers would skip the fogger and just do the deet.
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #12

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie and Tyler View Post
Lyme has arrived in the Maritimes...so please dress accordingly (pants tucked into socks) and check for ticks every night. Some of the ticks are as small as one millimeter...teeny tiny.

Hope you have a wonderful trip with very few insects...wind can be a blessing!
AGREE! ... and get a tick remover and check your pets too.
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #13

Name: Pete
Trailer: U-Haul 1986 -- got it 7/2013
Virginia
Registry
We have deer ticks - the kind that carry Lyme - in Virginia, too. As the OP wrote, they're TINY - less than 1/16th" long. So they're really hard to spot, especially if (like me) you're covered with flat brown moles (what my dermatologist calls "old men's barnacles").

We have other kinds of ticks, too... "lone star" ticks, and the regular old brown "dog tick". One or the other of them transmits another nasty ailment that results in your being allergic to RED MEAT. (Heaven Forfend!!)

I remember reading a while back that repellents that contain Picaridin are more effective against ticks. So it might be worth an online search for that ingredient.

I also heard - just this morning - that taking a shower within 2 hours of coming inside will eliminate nearly all the ticks that might be piggybacking on you. (I suppose a dunk in a lake would work, but it might take some more scrubbing.)

Basically, stay out of long grass, keep moving, and blouse your pants into your stockings. And spray your pants and sox with repellent too.
Pete Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #14

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The mesh net hat, long sleeve shirt, long pants and gloves is another way to reduce insect bites. Secure all access openings with masking tape for a better seal. I used a strong product with DEET years ago in Alaska and it did keep the insects away but I accidently spilled some of it on a heavy duty vinyl bus seat and it melted the vinyl.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
During my backpacking years we used 100% DEET and some extra B vitamin.

Some people worry about DEET on your skin because it melts plastic. I would worry too if I was made of plastic.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #16

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
DEET will also melt some synthetic fabrics.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I'm a DEET fan, used it hiking in Belize, Amazon jungles. I also pre-spray my outer clothing (pants, shirts, jackets, hats, boots), backpack with Premethrin spray.

But, Deet didn't work for those tiny black flies that took chunks of flesh when they bit during a white water rafting trip in upper NE Quebec. They will attack any flesh not covered and can make life miserable.

The Canadian guides used a white cream that worked perfectly along with wearing mesh hat covers. The cream stayed white on the skin...but no one cared when not being bit.

Perhaps our maritime Canadian FRG friends can tell us the name of this cream?
White cream may have been Avon Skin So Soft... just guessing.
I got a bottle of Brittanies Thyme organic bug repellant last spring, and it seems to work for me against skeeters... but it wears off after 2-3 hours. The stuff smells minty and pleasant. I read that catnip essence works also.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
AGREE! ... and get a tick remover and check your pets too.

Get one of those sticky lint rollers that you peel off a sheet at a time. We got ours at IKEA but the $ store also sells one. After being outdoors roll it all over you and your clothes. It will grab any ticks or bugs sticking to you. Then you can peel off the sheet and toss it in a dumpster.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Then you can peel off the sheet and toss it in a dumpster.

Thank god for landfills eh?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #20

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I am guessing that none of you who posted about vanilla extract has bought any of it recently. The prices have jumped considerably. Go buy it in Mexico when you visit if you want to use if for bug repellent. Madagascar had a major natural disaster that has brought a 5x price increase.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote