Replacement windows for 85' U-Haul 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #1

Name: Darrel
Trailer: Uhaul 13' camper
Texas
Replacement windows for 85' U-Haul 13'

Hey guys im new to the forum and just purchased this camper and am doing some restoration.

I'm looking for replacement windows. I need to replace the two sliding side windows at the back of the camper and also the sliding window on the door.

Does anyone know where i can find them. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
DarrelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another UHauler is always welcome!

Lots of information here and the best way to access it is to use the Google search function (the bottom window of the pull down under "Search".

The good news is that these windows are easily rebuilt. The bad news is that the brief source of new old stock windows has dried up. Currently another member is pursuing a reasonable cost custom made window from an eBay vendor. Another option is to pay full freight for custom made Hehr windows at about $500 per pop.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42722.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post352362

Easy RV Window Replacement
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Your best option is to see the results of member Higginra. The price estimate he got is way much better than any other sources that I found. They will most likely be the clamp ring type windows, as your front and rear windows are, rather than mouting in the rubber weatherstrip, but you can make them work. I installed a Scamp window in the side of our Uhaul, but it required making a filler piece because the window was smaller than the hole in the trailer. You can use a Scamp rear window to replace your rear window by enlarging the opening. What's the problem with your original windows, leaking?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #4

Texas
Mary and Bob, Yes all three are leaking pretty bad. I have found the scamp windows and wasn't sure if they would fit. Just have not had time to pull the old windows out to measure and make sure they would fit.

Thomas, Thanks for the links i will check them out.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #5

New York
The Scamp side window I would say is not the way to go. It's around $150 and is too small for the opening. Somewhere on here is a picture of ours, thread title may be "pictures of our Uhaul ". As for the Scamp rear window, the Uhaul opening has to be widened about 1/2" on each side and the corners rounded out a little. Also the clamp ring has to be installed backwards. From my experience, DO NOT use the foam tape that Scamp sends with the window, it will leak. Instead use the black butyl tape. Another member here also replaced their front and rear windows with the Scamp rear window. Window price is around $150 or so, plus shipping. There is an old post somewhere by Bridget T on how to rebuild the side windows, real good info. However it is my opinion that she used the wrong weatherstrip, I used the AS 1456 and AS 789 on mine, it more matches the Uhaul original. Leaks have been my biggest ongoing problem, finally resolved almost all of them. The marker lights will leak water in too.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

Texas
i found some windows on ebay i just need to pull out the old ones first to make sure on the measurements. The marker lights leak now but none of them work. The only lights that work are the tail lights. I am going to replace the rest and hopefully i will be able to seal them real good.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrelK View Post
i found some windows on ebay i just need to pull out the old ones first to make sure on the measurements. ...........
Make sure you know the wall thickness that the windows are designed to fit. The fiberglass trailers have very thin walls compared to the stick built trailers, so you need a clamp ring designed for a thin wall.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #8

New York
The marker lights leak now but none of them work. The only lights that work are the tail lights. I am going to replace the rest and hopefully i will be able to seal them real good.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you realize that the marker lights are not all on the same circuit, they are operated by two separate wire circuits. I forget just how the original wiring was set up because I rewired all the lights on our Uhaul. Besides being two circuits, it may also have been separate wires to the tongue.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #9

Name: Robert
Trailer: CT13
Indiana
Smile Update on window

The business owner told me he received his glass shipment yesterday. He said they would be starting production soon.
Higginra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higginra View Post
The business owner told me he received his glass shipment yesterday. He said they would be starting production soon.
Robert, thank for the follow up. Please let us know how it works out.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #11

Indiana
I have received the window and will be installing next weekend. So far it looks good. The window came wrapped in bubble wrap.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
I have received the window and will be installing next weekend. So far it looks good. The window came wrapped in bubble wrap.
Excellent. Did you have them custom made to fit the existing opening? Is it attached with a clamp ring as opposed to the older weatherstrip retention?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #13

New York
Same questions as Tom. Use the butyl tape to seal it if it's a clamp ring type. Pictures if possible. This will be valuable info for other Uhaul owners, and others needing this type window, as the price was more reasonable than any I could find.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #14

Indiana
I am ready with the Butyl tape. It is the Trim Ring the seems to be 1/8 taller than opening. That seems to be the fiberglass is not square when ot was made. I will send pics as I complete it. It didn't come with the screws but I think I have some stainless ones. The drain hole is much larger than the original Uhaul windows had.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #15

Indiana
Pics of trim ring

I have attached some pic of the trim ring. I have to cut some where the fiberglass was not square.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #16

Indiana
Attached pic

Trim Ring
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #17

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I replaced my front and rear window screws with stainless ones from Home Depot - they are standard screws - #10, I think.

When you get done can you post the pertinent information to help the next person?

Window size and specifications, dealer name and address would be great!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #18

New York
Trim ring sets against the inside wall, screws go through it into the window frame to hold the window in. Should be a groove in the window frame that the screws go into. Just make sure they are not too long so that they go right through to the outside. I had to use different screws than what came with the Scamp window because of the difference in wall thickness. And while we are talking about screw length, a previous owner used too long screws for the curtain rods and a couple went right through the outer shell.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Trim Ring
Humm, what are we looking at? From outside to the inside? The clamp (trim) ring should be on top of the fiberglass, this picture looks like it's between the hulls... or what? The fiberglass should be like a sandwich (filling) between the window on the outside and the clamp (trim) ring on the inside.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #20

Indiana
Note:

When ordering I would give a rough opening of 24 5/8 x 19 1/4. I may be installing today.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Tags
u-haul, windows