Repose fire logs Test - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Repose fire logs Test

Repose fire logs

Since my last post I have obtained the re-loadable Repose fire log to use in our home potbelly stove.. This fire log looks almost exactly like the closed fire log except it has an opening on top where you can add pellets at any time provided you have a safe scoop to do so.

I can tell you this, I have used both the end loaded and open face fire logs and found they are of the highest quality and burn most efficiently.

I highly recommend both of them and assure you that you will get the utmost enjoyment out of using them.

As you know, in some states it is against the law to bring your own firewood along and with these fire logs all you need is a bag of wood pellets like they use in pellet stoves and you’re set for an enjoyable time around the fire pit.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Thanks for the review.

Incidentally, anyone buying these should plan on buying their wood pellets NOW. Stores around my area have run out and will not restock until late autumn. I did get a 20 lb bag of Hickory pellets for cooking, but they cost $19/bag versus about $5 for a 40 lb bag of common fuel pellets.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Repose fire logs aren't marketed for cooking use, but I decided to try anyway.

This July 4th I cooked with the Repose fire logs. I was curious to see how they would work in a Weber round BBQ kettle grill. So I loaded hickory pellets into the smaller 3 (left out the biggest one) and started them with a fire starter near one end. This did not work out ideally; one end was nearly done burning by the time the other end began burning. But by moving burger patties around every few minutes, I was able to grill a bunch of patties in about 20 minutes.

The nearly smoke-free flames would lick out beyond the cooking surface if the grill cover was up. With the lid closed, the fire lacked oxygen somewhat and therefore produced tremendous amounts of smoke. After 20 minutes the burgers were juicy, medium (pink inside) and well laden with hickory flavor. Everyone but my wife said they were very good (my wife hates wood-smoked anything).

My conclusion is that this method is not ideal by any means but the end result was still really tasty (to me and to our guests). I can see now that the wood pellet grills must have this thing honed to a science, with their temperature-controlled pellet feeds and everything.

I'm not sure how well the Repose logs would work for cooking in an open campfire, but one of these days I hope to try that out too. First, though, I will need to get a grate positioned high enough to take advantage of the flames' heat; one does not truly get a bed of coals from pellets, the way one does from a real log.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A camping friend in the site next to us has a set of the pellet burning logs. I didn't get to see them burn start to finish, only at the end of their burn, so not familiar with how they work overall. But for cooking over a fire, we bought at Walmart a tripod setup that has a 16" or so round grill that hangs on a chain and can be raised and lowered over a fire. Made by Coghlan and cost about $20. We cooked a couple steaks one time and burgers another time and it was OK. Should work with the Repose logs too.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Not marketed for cooking?

They show cooking over them on the website:

Repose Fire Logs

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Hmm, roasting hot dogs. I guess they do, at that!

Bob, thanks for the tip on the tripod.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:24 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We often cook or heat our lunch over a fire when deer hunting in MI's Upper Peninsula. We use a swing grill. Simply pound a pole into the ground at the edge of the fire, and attach the grill to the pole at the elevation you want. You load the grill with whatever your cooking and swing back over the fire. It adjusts easily to the fires changing heat. Here's a link:

Amazon.com : Texsport Heavy Duty Swivel Grill : Freestanding Grills : Sports & Outdoors

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #8

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Interesting....might invest in one this fall for next year. How long does a basket of pellets last burning?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #9

Oklahoma
I cooked a batch of burgers, then a second batch, and still had fuel burning. I would say close to 1 hour of burn time.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

we use them in the winter in our pot belly stove and they really work well. I ordered 3 of the large ones and one open type for the fire place. I think they are well worth the price because they are made of the best material and the pellets eliminate the need for fire wood.

In many states you are not allowed to bring in your own wood so the pellets and the Repose fire logs would be the perfect way to have a camp fire without the hassel and high price of campground wood.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Interesting....might invest in one this fall for next year. How long does a basket of pellets last burning?
I've never used the repose logs. We use dead trees found near our lunch site. The swing or swivel grill was in response to Mike's post #3

"First, though, I will need to get a grate positioned high enough to take advantage of the flames' heat; one does not truly get a bed of coals from pellets, the way one does from a real log."

It's just a very good way to cook over an open fire. We typically heat soup, make coffee, burgers, or set pie irons on it. It will hold quite a bit of food at the exact height you want it.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You might want to ask what substance is holding the pellets together ( whatever you buy ) before using them for cooking.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Glenn, I used hardwood hickory pellets from Traeger, sold specifically for grilling. No added substances in them. But I agree that standard heating pellets can have additional substances included.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #14

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
When the cheese is gone the holes go on hold, but next piece of cheese and "magic" There back!!
Black magic (or Black Diamond Cheese ) ???????????
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #15

Where does the holes go when U Cut The Cheese?
Old 07-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #16

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You might want to ask what substance is holding the pellets together ( whatever you buy ) before using them for cooking.
Glenn, I've been heating my home with a pellet stove for 10 years and according to the bags labels it's all natural with no additives.
I buy them at Lowes or Home Depot.
I guess the high pressure extruding holds them together.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's OK.
I use a propane grill and don't ask what's in the gas.
Just curious. Some fire logs have paraffin in them and would make a marshmallow taste awful.