Reservations starting to be required - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I think most national forest CGs are first-come, and I tend to take advantage of that. If I travel to the MN North Shore again some time (and I hope to do so), I will stay at Eckbeck or one of the other nf cgs. But then, I don't figure on a need for hookups... some folks gotta have 'em.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:06 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Work has its advantages and disadvantages. When I was working, I was frequently called back from vacation for this emergency or that. And I couldn't take more than a one week vacation at one time. So planning trips was a problem. And going very far was tough too. On the other hand, I had nice disposable income. And I had good medical benefits.

Now I am retired. No paycheck, $1100/month for medical insurance, etc., etc. But I can plan stuff way ahead. And I can take a month long trip (if I can afford it).

Its just how it goes. Parks, state and federal, are not keeping up with growing demand. Entrance fees and camping fees do not cover all their costs either.

When I was working for a living, forest service campgrounds were a favorite choice.

Also part of it is knowledge. Whether working or retired, knowing the system, where reservations are required, when you can make them and more is just as important or more important than free time. There are plenty of working people that are great planners, take great trips, and are really prepared. I was never one of them.....
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:05 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I really wish you would avoid the use of "Ressies." I have never heard that before and neither the Urban Dictionary nor Google were any help in decriphering the meaning. I did not read this thread initially because I figured that a "Ressie," whatever it is, was nothing that interested me. But I am always interested about making reservations, since most of my "camping" is in high demand areas, and/or time critical. Colloquialisms usually do not translate well.
I too was very confused, having never heard the term, so I changed the thread title so others might understand the content of the thread.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:29 AM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks Jim!!! That's ONE word this ole suthun boy will never be using. Sounds so "sissy"! (that's the best I can do at staying 'politically correct')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too was very confused, having never heard the term, so I changed the thread title so others might understand the content of the thread.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:07 AM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
I have a love/hate with reservations. I love the ability to get a site and not have to worry on the way to. But, I have a lot of reservations with reservations.

Reserve America, which is used by many places I feel can be improved in a number of ways. First off, $9 or so per reservation? For being computer generated is a bit heavy. With huge cancel fees. And then, no shows at the campground go unfilled as a result. I know if it was cheap and easy to book and cancel all the time, many would take advantage. But it would be great that at least resell the open sites at the last minute for the spur of moment, lets get out people? This is just one of my rants about reservations.

I think Reserve America is a joke. It's time for a competitor who thinks like campers.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:14 AM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I see both sides, having a reservation is peace of mind knowing you have a spot when you get to your destination, I remember going on a trip without a hotel reservation and couldn't find a room driving from hotel to hotel...

But, I am also very spontaneous, especially with last minute trips including camping as I am self employed running a small business and can't always "plan" a trip as I don't know when my business will allow me to take a day off here or there. So many times when we find ourselves caught up on Thursday and nothing on the schedule for Friday we quickly pack up and leave on a Thursday afternoon or early on Friday.

So forced reservation do present a problem for many campers as I am sure we are not alone. And as I have learned with Atlanta traffic, sometimes interstates can be shut down for hours causing a significant delay that could result in a wasted reservation...for that reason I try not to plan a trip even last minute by using any interstates around Atlanta if I can avoid it.

But, again, being spontaneous campers and self employed is why I decided to set our Boler up for boon docking so if we do decide to take a last minute trip we don't have to have hookups. Our rig includes (2) 6 volt batteries, all led lighting, propane tankless water heater, 16 gallon on board water and 12vdc Seaflo water pump...but that does mean we don't have a/c or refrigeration so we use a traditional cooler and are planning on adding solar to top off the batteries and a generator for a/c. In Georgia there is plenty of US National Forest, so we have plenty of places to boon dock for free, and not just in Georgia, you can boon dock for free in any US National Forests unless it is specifically posted otherwise or a designated pay campground which are usually less than $20/night.

We just came back from a trip to Sopchoppy Florida and stayed in one of their state parks with no reservation, Ochlockonee River State Park we were only 1 of 3 campers there the whole weekend, but when I called ahead to see if we could come as a walk in the ranger forgot to tell us there was a gate with a code so when we pulled in at 12 midnight we were forced to find a Walmart for the night...we won't make that mistake again as "GATE CODE?" is now at the top of our checklist...

I have learned that while there is an abundance of reservation only campgrounds with little to no walk up available sites, I have found the internet to be very useful in finding sites that do not require reservations, particularly with the U.S. Forestry Service campgrounds...
Old 07-31-2017, 09:10 AM   #27

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
I actually LOVE the reservation system. Perhaps it's because we are in Colorado where it seems impossible to get a weekend campsite without a reservation, or the fact that I really do love to plan. I have already begun making reservations for our vacation 2018. Some places are already allowing that, some won't for a few months, but I have a spreadsheet with the dates I need to make those reservation taped above my computer and entered into my google calendar.

Our kids summer schedules don't change to much, and we know that they both have an "off" week with sports the same week every year (how we got so lucky that it is the SAME week for both of them I'll never know but it makes me so happy!!) and while summer is a busy work time for my husband, his employer is one who truly believes in vacation time creating better employees, so encourages vacations to be taken.

All that being said, I will often make reservations and take the change fee or cancellation fee hit if I have to. Because I'd rather know that we have a spot then not need it, then want to go and not be able to. I think I've only ever cancelled three in the past 10 years, though, and I usually try to do it as early as I know so it can be released back into the system.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #28

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Did you check on the National Forest campgrounds in Minnesota? I know the ones in Colorado have sites that are not reserve-able and are first come first serve. For the weekends they go fast and are usually occupied on Thursday for the rest of weekend. Many of the reserve-able sites are available during the week but not on weekends.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #29

Name: Clay and Cait
Trailer: Escape 5.0
Florida
As full-timers with spontaneous movement, it has been brutal out there trying to camp. My parents are flying into Minneapolis next week to camp with us, which I was so excited about until I tried to find a campground about a month and a half in advance. It was completely impossible.

There's no viable alternative I can see though. It's just painful watching all the first come first served sites disappear
Old 07-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #30

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Rowland View Post
Did you check on the National Forest campgrounds in Minnesota? I know the ones in Colorado have sites that are not reserve-able and are first come first serve. For the weekends they go fast and are usually occupied on Thursday for the rest of weekend. Many of the reserve-able sites are available during the week but not on weekends.
I didn't look at any National Forest camping in Minnesota. We reserved Gooseberry Falls SP, MN and Judge CR Magney SP, MN a YEAR in advance for camping along the North Shore. At Voyageurs NP, we stayed at Woodenfrog State Park, non-reserve-able, but we had arrangements at another place (an overflow campsite at a resort, which we could cancel at any time) in case there weren't any available. It's so far North and out of the way, that it was only half full on a Saturday night.

I printed off the entire list of Colorado National Forest first come first serve sites, but we always make reservations, so have yet to use them.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #31

Deep South
I have actually seen people drop a trailer mid week pay the fees and leave just so they will have one of those "first come first serve" sites available for the weekend. I think that shouldn't be allowed as it takes up a site (fees paid or not) that another camper could actually use.

I am also disappointed that a growing number of campgrounds require a reservation, but I have seen where some campgrounds on Reserve America that have spaces available won't let you reserve them just a few days out, leaving those available to first come first servers...but they have to be out by "X" of the month too as someone else has it reserved...
Old 07-31-2017, 12:42 PM   #32

Name: Wenonah
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
I refuse to camp at Walmart or Cracker Barrel , it just goes against my conscience.
Just wondering why that would be a matter of conscience?
Wenonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I refuse to camp at Walmart or Cracker Barrel , it just goes against my conscience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenonah View Post
Just wondering why that would be a matter of conscience?
We choose not to eat at Cracker Barrel and we seldom shop at Walmart (Avoid Walmart if at all possible )
If we won't spend our money at these businesses then we don't think it right to freeload in their parking lot.
Goes against our sense of right and wrong . YMMV
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:05 PM   #34

Deep South
Some Walmarts/Cracker Barrels provide a somewhat safe place for an overnight, however, there are Walmarts in areas I know of that I would never feel safe at for staying in the camper overnight.

That said we did stay in a Walmart overnight in Crawfordville FL as the Ochlockonee River State Park was gated and we didn't have a code to get in as we arrived around midnight (ranger didn't tell us that on the phone earlier that day...just to "come on in and get your spot and pay in the morning"...right). We had our bikes (3) inside plus chairs and a table on the bed so we had to unload all of that in order to sleep inside. We put the table & chairs in the van and chained the bikes to the tongue. We opened the window and turn on our Hengs fan using our battery but it was still very hot and not a very comfortable nights sleep. Not to mention the noise of cars going by with the window open...
Old 07-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #35

Deep South
Quote:
I don't eat at Cracker Barrel and I seldom shop at Walmart
(Avoid Walmart if at all possible )
If I won't spend my money at these businesses then I don't think it right to freeload in their parking lot.
Goes against my sense of right and wrong . YMMV
I can understand your reasons for avoiding Walmart, but why Cracker Barrel? They have some great food and I have never had a bad experience there. Matter of fact the last one we went to one of the corporate office "big whigs" was in that location checking to make sure everything was as it should be...they always appear very clean, excellent and friendly service from the staff too. Can't say the same for many other chain restaurants we have walked in to and walked back out of...
Old 07-31-2017, 01:26 PM   #36

Name: abcde
Trailer: noneofyourbusiness
British Columbia
Booked out state parks is bad news

This is sad news but not entirely surprising. Many folks on both sides of the border seem wedded to the idea of low taxes and constantly push to get taxes lowered even more. But they never stop complaining of a lack of government services - be it education, better roads or more state park campgrounds.

But freezing out tourism also hits state economies. As a Canadian, as it gets harder and harder to get into US state parks and no new US National Park or State Park campgrounds get built, then we simply travel less to the US. It's all rather silly.

Smart moves to try and control abuse include limiting stays in any campground to a maximum number of nights (e.g. 3-7 depending on the type of state park) and raising prices significantly so that the camping operation is self funding and can be expanded more easily. Many parks seems to close down too early in October, which is another problem, given that the weather is much warmer in the fall than it was 25 years ago.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #37

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Sounds like its time to open up a campground!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #38

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
We had no trouble getting into MI state parks on the lake when gas was almost $5, guess we could hope for that again. Making reservations is cheaper.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:06 AM   #39
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When travelling, spending each night in a different place, we try to avoid destination campgrounds like state parks. Not only are they likely to be busy but they tend to be expensive because they provide amenities we are not likely to use but have to be paid for. Because of the senior discount we like NFS and Army Corp campgrounds but more and more of these are now taking reservations and fill on weekends. One option not mentioned are the numerous county and city park campgrounds. These tend to be first come first serve and in general are less expensive than state parks. To find them you really need a campground app. The one I use is Allstays. Though limited, the version I have can be used without an internet connection. We've never stayed at a Walmart but they are listed too.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:15 AM   #40

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
You might not be surprised to learn that you not only need a reservation for this campsite, you also need to make the reservation within about five minutes after the booking window opens. Its a case of supply and demand, with a very great demand.
Attached Thumbnails
Kring Point State Park.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote