Reserve or Walk In at State Park - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Name: Barry
Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Reserve or Walk In at State Park

We are planning to make a trip to the North Shore by Duluth in late Sept. I saw on the MN DNR website that many of the specific spots were filled but some had open spots all through the month (does that mean they are not desirable?) but some spots were "walk in" (no reserve)

My question is... would it be a good chance that we would get one of those walk in spots if we were there early enough... around 8 am?

Thanks for any info on this!

barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
In National Park parlance "Walk In" means just that, tents only, no vehicle access.
What you are looking for is sometimes called "Space Available" or "First Come-First Served".
You might check with the park itself about chances of access in the morning.
But I don't know squat about the area you are asking about....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
I agree with Bob... call up the park in question and just ask. Some of those parks, though, might be in grim shape after those storms earlier this summer.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Barry,

Hope you can come to the Duluth Egg Fest, Sept 19-22.

There are some campgrounds on the North Shore that one uses hand carts to reach their tent campsites. Not sure which campgrounds you are looking at.

The week after our gathering we will head to Grand Marais for fall colors on the North Shore. We go to Grand Marais the last week of September every year we can.

This year I thought about stopping at Tettegouche on the way to Grand Marais. One should really reserve at this time of year, especially on the weekends. Up on the hill behind the park is where some of the red maples can be found.

At the Duluth Gathering I will try to have a North Shore fall color guide for people interested.

Hope to see you in Duluth, if not maybe I'll see you up the road. If you are able, be sure to walk the Oberg Mountain loop. If not able to walk be sure to ride the gondola up the ski hill at Lutsen. The color up there is one of the best sites to see around Sept 25.

Also we have never been turned away at Grand Marais municipal park. They have a parking lot by the campground and ball field. When full they let me dry camp as overflow the once I arrived late and they were full.

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Name: Barry
Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Thanks Nancy! Those are some great ideas. We were thinking of staying at Tettegouche Thurs then hanging out in Duluth down by the harbor & then going to Temperance River state park the next 2 nights. My wife has never been to the Duluth area. That Lutsen gondola ride sounds great also.

How far is Grand Marais from Duluth? I think Temperance is about 2 hours towards Grand Marais from Duluth right? Thanks again!!
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Name: Cheryl
Trailer: 2008 Scamp Deluxe 16 ft
We had success getting a non-reservable site this June on a weekday at both Tetttegouche and Temperance River State Parks. Tettegouche didn't have any electric sites available, but Temperance did so we chose to head up to Temperance. I think we arrived about 9 in the morning. There's no guarantee of course, but if you arrive early, especially on a weekday, you should have a good chance of finding something.
Cheryl C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey

We would use three hours to go from Duluth to Grand Marais if not stopping. It can be a slow road.

If you are short on time you might prefer to stay and see more of one area instead of trying to see it all. We have two favorite short hikes. In Sept. it is the Mt Oberg loop not far from Lutsen. Any time of the year we love the Shovel Point walk at Tettegouche. You don't even need a park pass for that as you start at the rest stop at the parking lot on the highway. Shovel point is on the shore to the left of the parking lot. To the right of the parking lot you can walk to the mouth of the River.

Be sure to read Mike's Trip Report Northern .... In General Chat. He did an excellent job of reporting and his pictures are great. I believe his Eckberg campground is forest service and I doubt it has electricity if that is necessary to you.

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
5 years ago on the north shore I managed to get the very last campsite at Cascade River about mid-afternoon on an early August weekday. Weekends, no way.

This year in middle of July, weekday campsites were again very scarce, those with electric were long gone, and weekend sites were out of the question. This is for the north shore state parks.

I was told by the park folks at Tettegouche that the Eckbeck (Finland State Forest) CG just up the road toward Finland rarely fills completely; however, not all sites are large enough to accomodate a trailer, either. As Nancy said, no electric hookups there, but it's nice. There's also another SF CG nearby (drive to the W edge of Finland, turn N at sign), so with 2 so close together a person stands a good chance of finding a suitable spot at one or the other. Only $12 per night.

If you don't mind camping farther from the shore, there are many national forest CGs up that way also; all are rustic (no hookups). The East Bearskin CG was very quiet and did not fill up, even on Friday night, while I was there. Devil Track Lake CG is another one, considerably closer to Grand Marais than Bearskin is.

For those who need it, there is a free municipal dump station and fresh water fill-up in Silver Bay. Drive a half mile or thereabouts west into town and watch for the sign pointing to the left (south), and you'll see it a block or so up on your right.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote