Responses and advice given here... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Need to add "Murphy's Law" into the equation as well.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Murphy was an optimist.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Smile... tomorrow will be worse.

Spanke
Old 06-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #18

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
You can lead a horse to what you believe to be water. An old horse will know by the smell whether to accept the libation. Internet diagnoses and prescriptions engage the nose for all it's worth! Develop a good nose.

jack
"You may lead a horse to water, but before you do remember what a wet horse smells like."

Drinking (or not) is but one possible outcome...
Old 06-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #20

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm a jack of all trades, master of none.

If people come to a forum for advice, they need to decipher if they're capable of doing said tasks (as long as the advice isn't completely wrong). IMHO, it's up to them to decide that, not anybody else.

If they can't figure out if they're capable of doing welding, wiring, propane work, etc., on their own, there's really no helping that.

This is the first time I've ever worked on a camper. I don't have near the experience of most people on here, but I'm comfortable doing any possible work on it, so I don't think you can necessarily go by experience, either.

I subscribe to the "jump in head first, and then you have no choice but to swim" approach.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I'm a jack of all trades, master of none.

If people come to a forum for advice, they need to decipher if they're capable of doing said tasks (as long as the advice isn't completely wrong). IMHO, it's up to them to decide that, not anybody else.

If they can't figure out if they're capable of doing welding, wiring, propane work, etc., on their own, there's really no helping that.

This is the first time I've ever worked on a camper. I don't have near the experience of most people on here, but I'm comfortable doing any possible work on it, so I don't think you can necessarily go by experience, either.

I subscribe to the "jump in head first, and then you have no choice but to swim" approach.
Exactly! Combined with an acceptance that I may make mistakes or get less than "professional" results. An awful lot of what I know was acquired by making mistakes. Taking on something new is often an ideal "learning" opportunity. Swallowed a lot of water learning to swim you might say.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scarecrow.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	60231

Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.

Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?

Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Poking fun at myself here gang. I'm NOT an expert, but I read a lot and try to point folks to appropriate posts that others have written. And I NEVER stay at a Holiday Inn because I have an all molded towable!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #23

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Here is what I should post following any of my input/suggestion about...technical work: Please be aware and I am no expert. You might not achieve like what I did because before doing any paint/gas/electrical work I realize that I could be ended up on.....WHEELCHAIR or worse...
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #24

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
There are quite a few folks who do that believing failure is not an option. Many (like yourself) do well. Others learn that failure IS an option. This is the source of all of the totally gutted trailers on Craigslist...
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And I NEVER stay at a Holiday Inn because I have an all molded towable!

Even better! The egg shows that you're smart, thrifty, AND stylish!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #26

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think and this is only my opinion, that some of the responses to questions posed here on the forums should have some type of disclaimer or warning or other comment that such advice in not necessarily the best or the safest...
Greetings Jim.

I resemble that remark!

AND as stated at my thread i appreciate your honesty and posting basically the same advice over there. Because of your post i have included _some type of disclaimer_.

As i shared in that reply i agree 100% with your thoughts along these lines.

In addition, IMO, none of us are responsible for the actions of those who happen by any of our build threads, blogs, websites, or a post-it on our fridge; None of us could sleep a night if we really thought otherwise. Though admittedly, this statement comes from one who is a compulsive reader/researcher, and one who typically measures twice/cuts once only after a fair amount of due diligence.

In context of "disclaimers"...I've had my domain up since 1996 and have had tens of thousands of visitors. Since inception the front page of the website has had this in place:

The accrete.com crew
Reserves all rights
To be completely misinformed
Hold completely inaccurate views
And express completely insane opinions.
All without being corrected ;-)

The site is quite eclectic in nature and my friends know i have no shortage of "opinions"
... and as one other poster here said of himself "I'm a Jack of all trades, and master of none." IMO Each visitor should research and take 100% responsibilities for their own life... To go blindly following anyone's opinions/suggestions without due diligence is recipe for failure, though i suppose quite common ,(

The web as a tool for betterment has proven itself over the years. Most of us can agree we are all a bit wiser because of it and the interactions with fellow NetQuaintances. I appreciate this forum as a resource for further research into life with our egg and the personal interaction with many of its members. In the words of Jim in his OP"

"Good luck and happy camping."

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #27

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I feel there is a vast resource of knowledge to be tapped by reading this forum. Sure, it is also entertaining following the opinions and banter, but the collective pool of experience is a valuable asset for us. As internet users, we do have to develop our own personal "filtering" system to rate validity to the posts we read. In matters of health or machinery topics where safety is absolutely required we should try to find other sources of info in agreement as back up. On this site many people probably never post, but just read the topics that may pertain to their interests. Others are skilled in specific areas of expertise and feel they can add value to the site by posting. I started in the former group reading about other's experiences with their molded trailers. After a while I felt I could answer a question, or ask a question and had a desire to contribute and become a part of this wonderful resource. It did cross my mind about exposure to a lawsuit if someone was injured due to my advice. If we all worried too much about this FGRV wouldn't exist. I really dislike how unfair our legal system can be, and how it cripples exchanges like we have here. Perhaps a blanket disclaimer regarding all posts could suffice to warn people that can't stay out of trouble on their own to not trust anything they read here as gospel. The whole benefit to a site like this is the sharing of ideas and experiences with others. It makes you feel good to shed some light on another's problems, even if it is incandescent....
Russ
Old 10-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #28

Name: Marsha
Trailer: Oliver
Michigan
Registry
I think the best, and shortest disclaimer is

YMMV