Rest area protocol.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I parked on the truck side. Did not want to park on the car side because you pulled into curb and it may be hard to back up. The Ohio and In turnpike had some awesome rest stops. Carl

Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
With a tandem axle I try to avoid turnpikes, the tolls are triple. But yes some truck stops and toll roads have coin parking with electric, something like $10 for 12 hours.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When towing our teardrop or Uhaul I usually park on the car side, but down from the main area. I'll park sideways in angle spaces if there is plenty of room but won't do it unless there are a lot of empty spaces at the far end of the lot where I'll park. With the Casita I go in with the trucks. I don't get way up to the end of the space so that any truck next to me has plenty of turning room to get out of his space. I worked on those big rigs for years and drove them occasionally so I try to be considerate towards them. Notice that when trying to merge into traffic when you come out of that rest area or an on ramp that it's the trucker that will pull over and let you in. And if there is a cop or a broke down vehicle on the shoulder of the road, the trucks will pull over to the left lane but many of the cars won't. Everything we use comes to us by truck, appreciate them, it's not an easy job.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
We follow the rules since we are all too familiar with "courtesies" being extended and withdrawn because of people who don't follow the rules.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1970l Airstream
New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to MisterBilliam
I think either side...but I also think the most important action is to be on alert because you actually never know if something was going to happen.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #20

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
In the Southeast, most rest stops direct cars with trailers to park with the trucks, and like some others have said, I feel safer among the truckers anyway.
I also prefer overnight stops at truck stops like Pilot/FlyingJ with the truckers rather than Walmart parking lots where I feel very vulnerable

Some states, I think Virginia? have signs restricting time to two hours with no overnights.

Walt
Old 03-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Some states, I think Virginia? have signs restricting time to two hours with no overnights.
I have seen this around here too. They discourage overnight stays, probably because it would end up being abused by many, making it tougher to find a spot for those that want to stop for a short rest break.

If I am in need of an overnight stop, I usually look for a side street, or community hall/arena parking lot to use. I have even asked at a service station with a large lot, but not designed for trucks, and have usually got a go-ahead, as I am usually leaving bright and early anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #22

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I go where the signs tell me. It's just plain rude to take up multiple car spaces with your car & trailer when there are wide open spaces available in the truck/rv section. When I park amongst the trucks, I try to pick a spot to make sure I'm not likely to block these guys from getting out, or accidentally hitting me. Often these guys don't offer us the same courtesy, but oh well, what are you going to do?

Each rest area is a bit different. Many will have a loop on the outside with park along a curb against a grassy or wooded area. Often I'll try there first, as it can be the easiest to park, is generally out of everyone's way and may be a bit more peaceful. Also easier on me with the dog too.

I'm certainly not worried about truckers. In fact, one time I was broken down at a rest stop, and the only person willing to help me out was a trucker (bonus - they usually have tools!). At least you know with these guys that they are pros, and their company info is plastered on the side of their trucks for all the world to see. With people in cars and RV's, you don't really have any idea if they are good people or serial killers (unless they are towing an egg, obviously).
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sometimes while enroute I want to pull over and take a nap or stop for lunch at a rest area. I have found several rest areas, particularly on the other side of the Mississippi to be quite nice.
My questions involves following the entrance signs that seem to put our trailers as the same category as large 18 wheelers pulling 53' long trailers. I feel like a dwarf alongside some of these behemoths and a little intimidated. Over on the passenger car side there are large enough spaces to park but I always stay on the truck side. Other than above and feeling unsafe what are some thoughts or ideas as to stopping in rest areas? Do you stay on the smaller car side while towing or go to the truck side? Thanks for responding.
If I were going to be intimidated, It would be by that big rig of yours!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
In the Southeast, most rest stops direct cars with trailers to park with the trucks, and like some others have said, I feel safer among the truckers anyway.
I also prefer overnight stops at truck stops like Pilot/FlyingJ with the truckers rather than Walmart parking lots where I feel very vulnerable

Walt
I go where the signs point (generally with the trucks) and often will choose a truck stop over a rest area for a nap.

Truck stop feels more secure, coffee or even breakfast available as soon as I wake up. There have been a few truck stops that seemed a bit sketchy so I just moved on. Same for a few rest areas, a few just seemed to set off my sketchy detection radar and I moved on.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #25

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Slept in the car till about 4 am when the smell of the cattle truck that had parked next to us woke us up. Guess I should have parked a bit farther away but who would have figured on that happening. It was a great sunrise though with the buttes in the back ground .
Was that buttes, or butts? I have seen the sun rise over a lot of cow butts, and yes it was beautiful!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:16 PM   #26

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If I were going to be intimidated, It would be by that big rig of yours!
Yup Yup Yup
Old 03-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Boy, both of you guys are suffering from trailer envy.....
Old 03-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I go to the truck/trailer side almost every time. If the car side has really long spaces to accomodate my rig, I might go there instead. Or if the truck/trailer side were full. I never want to take more than one parking space if I can help it, and I think that taking more than one space would make you stand out to authorities who might be inclined to give a stern warning.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote