Rest Stop Safety - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #15

Name: Lapsley
Trailer: currently saving for an Oliver
Tennessee
After thousands and thousands of miles cross country exploring I had only one potential incident in a rest stop, about 3 AM, only two vehicles in the whole rest area, mine and the potential perps. Fortunately I was able to avoid an incident. In my motorcycle adventures I've even slept on top of picnic tables, but always in a high volume rest area.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:46 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Sue,
Here are the rules for staying in Safety Roadside rest areas in California, where I live,
You May:
  • Park in any designated parking place
  • Stay up to 8 hours in any 24 hour period.
  • Walk your pet, as long as it is on a leash.
  • Place your litter only in trash receptacles.
  • Dump sanitary wastes from RV holding tanks and portable devices at designated dump stations.
  • Use small stoves and heaters (except on wood tables) if you do it safely.
  • Engage in some nonprofit activities, with The Department of Transportation's permission. (The Department's permission does not indicate sponsorship).
I thought they no longer let people stay overnight at this one south of San Francisco so I suggest you check. Nothing was mentioned on the CalTran website. Goofy Father Junipero Serra Statue, Hillsborough, California. It is worth a visit, though, to see the "Goofy Statue of Father Junipero Serra". It is a very clean rest stop with tremendous views. There is a warning posted to look out for rattlesnakes. I've never seen one there. HW 280 is a very pleasant highway to drive as it is mostly lined with trees and hillsides. This website "Roadside America" might have articles of interest to you too.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:57 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue H G View Post
Thank you all for the information! It has given my Husband the info he needed to feel better about using the rest stops. We are heading west from Wisconsin to the redwoods (stopping at Bad Lands, Black Hills, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Mr. Rushmore, Crater Lake, Craters of the Moon) then down the California coast to San Francisco. Seeing My. Whitney, Yosemite, Arches, Glenwood Springs also. Then heading back east via Route 70. All of this with our dog. 😱. Hope we are not crazy...
Having done similar trips through the same areas I suggests as others have that taking a good look around and going with your gut as to how safe or unsafe the rest area may be to spend a lot of time at is a good suggestion.

While there are lots of rest stops that I felt comfortable being at there were a few that my gut said best to move on. Most frequently the ones located near large urban areas and when you see they have full time security and highway patrol frequently stopping in. Probable a real good reason for both of the later.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:05 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
When we travel across country and stop at rest areas most will point you to the truck areas as trucks and trailers vs cars. That said you will more than likely be the smallest rig in the truck area. I installed an extra 7 pin trailer receptacle on my unit and wired the top two connectors via a fuse together. This will activate your trailer lights. I leave my trailer lights on all night so that the big trucks will see me and you will notice most of the trucks leave their lights on while parked. With LEDS the draw on the battery is minimal. I feel safer and sleep better.
BTW, the KOA in the Badlands is our favorite, if you can stop there on a full moon the park is spectacular, like being on the moon.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Thank you all for the information! It has given my Husband the info he needed to feel better about using the rest stops. We are heading west from Wisconsin to the redwoods (stopping at Bad Lands, Black Hills, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Mr. Rushmore, Crater Lake, Craters of the Moon) then down the California coast to San Francisco. Seeing My. Whitney, Yosemite, Arches, Glenwood Springs also. Then heading back east via Route 70. All of this with our dog. 😱. Hope we are not crazy...
You may not be crazy unless you are planning to do all that in less than 2 weeks. That's a lot of places and distances to travel. Looks like at least a month long trip or better.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #20

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
I'm a full-time solo Casita 17' owner who doesn't hesitate to stay in rest areas, if I just need to stop for one night. I use the following website in my planning, even! The only problem is the noise, both from the trucks coming and going and on the nearby freeway. I've stayed up to 12 hours, too!

http://www.interstaterestareas.com/

WendyW and
Rhett the Anti-War Cat
Old 08-09-2016, 12:18 AM   #21

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Wendy I agree with u Diesel engines are noisy and fumes come inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
I'm a full-time solo Casita 17' owner who doesn't hesitate to stay in rest areas, if I just need to stop for one night. I use the following website in my planning, even! The only problem is the noise, both from the trucks coming and going and on the nearby freeway. I've stayed up to 12 hours, too!

Interstate Rest Areas – Rest Areas along Interstate Highways

WendyW and
Rhett the Anti-War Cat
: trailer if using fan to bring in cooler air. Freeway noise is far enough away no problem for us.
I think the biggest problem if not to many rest stops around and you get blocked in by to many Truckers taking up all the space around u, your stuck there until they all move out. Has happened to us twice now.
Yes we have stayed 12 hours to.
Stude
Old 08-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #22

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Cracker Barrel welcomes you and most don't allow big rigs. A lot of Walmarts have stopped allowing overnight parking due to law suits from damage to campers like shopping carts and undue wear and tear on their parking lots from big rigs. Rest stops with other campers around seem to be the safest for me anyway.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #23

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Kansas
Quote:
Our favorite rest area stop is on I70 about 5 miles after you cross into Kansas. Actually it's a visitor center with a big paved circle with big trees, picnic tables and water faucets, not to mention the singing birds in the trees to greet you in the morning. Nice big open areas to walk you dog.
We also do Flying J's for a quick overnight. They seem to be receptive to having rv's staying overnight, some even have double spaces lined out for parking.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I'd rather stay in truck stops than rest stops due to just the extra activity.

Out here in the west there are all the bums and social undesirables that make me uneasy in the off highway rest stops.

Scariest rest stop I was ever in was in North Carolina. 10 pm at night, pull off the highway into an extremely nice rest stop. It was just chock full of greenery. Very Dark, down in a hollow and not a soul in the place just me. Got out and did my business and rushed back to the car and got the heck out of there. I had nothing but visions of Ichabod Crane. I felt I was a victim just waiting to happen.

I hate what living in southern California has done to my mental wellbeing. Life is so different for the people who don't have to live with their guard up all the time.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #25

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Concealed carry permit.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #26

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Concealed carry permit.
Caution...Where permission is given, it can be withdrawn, and may well be when traveling from state to state, (and the court died last February).