Restore Feature - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 Series (25C9.6E 'Yeti')
Send a message via Yahoo to Pat And Arleen
I get paid very very good money to keep things out computers in law offices . The last thing they want to do is a system restore. If you have XP Home upgrade to Pro and keep on top of your updates. You will be alot safer.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #16

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
To a layman why upgrade?What does it do for you?

Old 12-13-2005, 08:16 AM   #17

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
regular updates fix all the little bugs in the operating system, and the "security holes"
that spammers and hackers find when trying to get control of someone else's pc.

You may not even be aware of the hole or a bug, but Microsoft does a reasonably good job of issuing patches.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:39 AM   #18

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Chester, I don't know what, other than the networking capabilities of XP Pro, the major differences are between XP home and XP pro. I ordered my work laptop with XP Pro because of the networking, but frankly I haven't explored XP all that much. I agree with Joe, though, that regular updates of whatever operating system you use are definately worthwhile. FWIW, Microsoft also issues regular updates for the Office Suite as well if you use that. If you haven't updated your Office Suite lately, you'll likely be surprised at how many updates there are for that as well.

Roger
Old 12-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #19
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Was Chester making a distinction between update and upgrade? Update for the bug patches. Upgrade for new capabilities.

Ches, you might have to upgrade sometime because you buy a new peripheral (printer, digital camera, MP3 player) that won't work unless you also move to a higher version of your operating system.

In my experience, an upgrade might mean the new peripheral device will work, but a whole bunch of the old ones will suddenly be incompatible.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:26 PM   #20

British Columbia
Updates I do regularly on atomatic.Upgrade to a better operating system is my question.I am using XP home.Why go to the XP pro?All i use this PC is for the forum and some internet searches.Other than that it seems to be ok.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
California
Chester,
Quote:
Question-------Is there a way to eliminate it altogether and just how do the spammers find you?
You note that your ISP tags the spam messages for you. If you use Mozilla, Thunderbird, or Opera (probably Outlook too, but I've never used that) you can set filter rules that will deal with the spammed message. For example, my ISP, Cox Cable, tags suspected spam messages with "-Spam-" at the front of the subject line. I can create a filter that automatically deletes every message that contains the word "-Spam-" in the subject or route it to a special folder for later review. In fact, I used to do this, but since Cox proved so accurate in their screening, I've just configured my account to delete the spam on their end. Still, some gets through...

As to where it all comes from, I know that my volume of spam exploded years ago when I joined some Yahoo groups. But the spammers are very clever and don't have to just mine the likes of Yahoo. I have an incoming mail account that I have never sent a message from, ever. It gets one or two hits every day! I even get mail that doesn't belong to me. I'm guessing that the address is spoofed somehow, but I haven't a clue as to how it's done.

Spam has become big business now, and the money is large enough that spammers have organized so as to lobby Congress. But, if you analyze the "from" addresses, you find many are from overseas, typically Asia, Indonesia, India, Russia, and others. No hope of controlling those at this time.

For now, try the filter approach and see if it doesn't help.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:22 PM   #22

British Columbia
Thanks Bill----------Good info
Old 12-14-2005, 08:46 AM   #23

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Sorry Ches, I was Confused, I don't see much of a difference between pro and home for the general user..
Old 12-14-2005, 08:09 PM   #24

British Columbia
No problem Joe---------I get confussed once in a while also Especially around computors
Old 12-14-2005, 11:18 PM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...I am using XP home.Why go to the XP pro?All i use this PC is for the forum and some internet searches...
A Google search for "XP home" versus "XP Pro" is informative, and the two pages from Microsoft itself look useful to me:Unless the ability to encrypt data on your hard drive is important to you (but it might be), I personally don't see a need for XP Pro for a single user with a single computer, outside of a corporate network.

To browse FiberglassRV, the only reason I see to have XP Pro is to allow for that disk encyrption, as a possible assistance to reduce damage by attacks from the internet unrelated to this site. Having said that, I am at this moment using XP Pro (for other reasons), and there is no disadvantage to it for me, especially since I am not the one who paid for it.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote