Restore Feature - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2005, 07:41 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Sunday morning I was looking around E-bay for new batterys and flash cards for my digital camera. After looking at many sites, I found I had new shortcuts, favorites, and pop-ups loaded. I thought I had enough protection to prevent this.
I have Win XP Professional with current Norton anti-virus, Ad-aware, System Mechanic6, and Windows firewall on all the time. They still got in. My computer expert(owns a reputable computer repair shop) says"Yep, it happens."
Solution was to use the Restore Feature to reset my computer back to Friday evening when all was well. I'm up and running just fine now.
Rick, my computer guy says this people need "38cc's of lead", I'm in agreement. Mike Bullard
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Mike, last year I got a bad case of 'spyware'. The flavor that infested my Win2k box was particularly virulent and nasty. It actually re-wrote it's files on shutdown. It couldn't be killed from the Task Manager. It had a random filename generator for it's new files, and they were all .dll's called from another that loaded with Windows that never showed up in Task Manager by filename. There were no 'cleaners' out there that would touch it. It took me nine days of every waking moment that I wasn't working to fix my machine! Had I been less tenacious, the only solution would have been to format the drive and reload everything. I'd never seen anything like that one! I said more than my fair share of naughty words during that nine days and a million re-boots.

I now run Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and TrendMicro at least monthly; I have Norton also, but will probably be switching to AVG on the 1st when my Norton subscription expires. One feature I've found absolutely invaluable is called TeaTimer from Spybot. It is memory resident, and recognizes over 1100 spybots. It also lets you approve whether or not your registry entries get changed. I've caught LOTS of stealth malware just with that feature alone! You can then stop the registry change, and the program can't load.

I have a new hard drive enroute, and I'm anxiously awaiting the next iteration of the Gates Inc. operating system. I made a conscious decision to not buy XP, but Win2k is getting a little long in the tooth now. It'll be interesting to see what Vista has to offer. I'm hoping to just do a fresh install on the new drive, as this Win2K install is about four years old now...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
roger...
same thing happend to me acouple of weeks ago... The tec printed out 20 pages of spyware that had invaded my computer...
I also run Spy-bot and have the windows XP spyare ( beta) but it always wont catch everything... I was always wondering why my puter wasnt running well and acting funny.
I was told not to 'restore' if you go to far back some of your software and stuff wont work and you have to fix that....
I dont 'surf' the net alot and am very careful as to what site I go to but doenst mean it wont happen. Everything is running well now... after a $100 repair bill.....
I run the AVG antivirus and find it an excellent program... You can get the free verson or pay for it ( which i finally did)
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:49 AM   #4

Trailer: Former 1989 Bigfoot owner
Get rid of Norton anti-virus stuff and use free AVG instead. Also go for Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Both my daughter and I have gone through all this. We have XP, ad-aware, spy-bot. All free programs including firewall zone alarm. No problems.
Norton is the biggest problem in any computer (as per advice from my technicians also).
Just my two cents worth.
Harry Gaudier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Thanks for the tip Roger on Spybot. I have it installed but haven't used it. I'll look into the teatimer. Christi, I only went 36 hours back in time. Also, restore will not delete any current E-mails or info you have entered in that time frame. Mike B (PS Sure wish life had a Restore. Now that would be handy, ex-wife, bad investments, etc....)
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Here are links to the software Roger referred to.

Sybot S-D
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

TeaTimer
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Trend Micro™ Anti-Spyware for the Web
http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/
Trend Micro Anti-Spyware for the Web is a free online tool that checks computers for spyware, and helps remove any infections found. When the detection process is complete, the tool will display a report describing the result including which if any, spyware were detected, and prompt you before the removal process.

Trend Micro™ HouseCall
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Scan Your PC: Ease your mind and scan your PC for viruses and spyware.
Scan Now. It's Free!

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
New version of AVG Free now available!!
The newest version of the popular AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is available for download. The new version of AVG Free provides increased scanning speed as well as additional improvements which include a new event-history log and added options for filename extension definitions.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
The trick is to get out of using Internet Explorer. Since I have started using FireFox as a browser, the volume of debris coming in has nearly stopped. There are other browsers, as well, like Opera.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Question about TeaTimer

I use SpyBot, AdAware etc. However, when I follow the link to TeaTimer, it gives information about it, but it is not included in the downloads????? Is it a part of SpyBot?

Thanks
Diane

I have also used Trends CW shedder
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:31 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My ISP is Telus (its a phone company)and it comes complete with all anti virus etc.It has worked great for me.Maybe other Canadians can put their thoughts in about Telus Service.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #10

I have never had spam before.Now I am getting it every day.My security systems tell me I have spam and they are all highlighted so I just delete it.
Question-------Is there a way to eliminate it altogether and just how do the spammers find you?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
My ISP is Telus (its a phone company)and it comes complete with all anti virus etc.It has worked great for me.Maybe other Canadians can put their thoughts in about Telus Service.
I use Telus (dial-up) for my personal ISP (i.e. when not in the office), with a computer that has current virus scanning software and runs the standard Windows XP firewall, but no specific anti-spyware package, and I have not had any issues. I don't know to what extent filtering by Telus may be helping, but I have not installed their optional Security Services.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
my isp (persona Inc) has a spam filter installed at their end and it mostly works.
I still get 4 or 5 per day.
Somewhere, someone has managed to harvest your email address from a list, and has now put it on a spam list, and you're kind of stuck. I found that some of the anti spam software actually made things worse, because they returned the mail with a comment.
This lets the spammers know for sure that they have a valid address.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:22 PM   #13

Trailer: Former 1989 Bigfoot owner
I know its hard to do, but a sure fire way of eliminating spam, is to change your e-mail address. Did it once, solved the problem. Otherwise, utilities such as mail washer etc, can be used, but that involves extra steps to view and separate good and bad messages first.
I have also jumped back and forth from Outlook Express to Mozilla Thunderbird, keep same address.
Few years ago, we were advised to keep changing e-mail address every 6 months or yearly, but of course with banking etc, thats kind of hard to do now a days.
Harry Gaudier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:44 PM   #14

I have a public email address through Yahoo! that I use whenever I order something, or need to post it in a public place. It gets tons of spam, but Yahoo! has an excellent spam filter. I also have a private email address that doesn't get out in public. I get very little spam there. The Yahoo! mail account is on-line and the messages never leave the Yahoo! server. The private email address through my ISP is the one I use with Outlook as my POP3 server and download mail from that account.

Roger
Old 12-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 Series (25C9.6E 'Yeti')
Send a message via Yahoo to Pat And Arleen
I get paid very very good money to keep things out computers in law offices . The last thing they want to do is a system restore. If you have XP Home upgrade to Pro and keep on top of your updates. You will be alot safer.
Pat And Arleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #16

To a layman why upgrade?What does it do for you?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:16 AM   #17

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
regular updates fix all the little bugs in the operating system, and the "security holes"
that spammers and hackers find when trying to get control of someone else's pc.

You may not even be aware of the hole or a bug, but Microsoft does a reasonably good job of issuing patches.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:39 AM   #18

Chester, I don't know what, other than the networking capabilities of XP Pro, the major differences are between XP home and XP pro. I ordered my work laptop with XP Pro because of the networking, but frankly I haven't explored XP all that much. I agree with Joe, though, that regular updates of whatever operating system you use are definately worthwhile. FWIW, Microsoft also issues regular updates for the Office Suite as well if you use that. If you haven't updated your Office Suite lately, you'll likely be surprised at how many updates there are for that as well.

Roger
Old 12-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #19
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Was Chester making a distinction between update and upgrade? Update for the bug patches. Upgrade for new capabilities.

Ches, you might have to upgrade sometime because you buy a new peripheral (printer, digital camera, MP3 player) that won't work unless you also move to a higher version of your operating system.

In my experience, an upgrade might mean the new peripheral device will work, but a whole bunch of the old ones will suddenly be incompatible.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:26 PM   #20

Updates I do regularly on atomatic.Upgrade to a better operating system is my question.I am using XP home.Why go to the XP pro?All i use this PC is for the forum and some internet searches.Other than that it seems to be ok.