Returning from Southern California - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #1

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Unhappy

BlueJeans & I had a safe and unevenful trip from SoCal to Tucson today, Saturday, 23 Aug. We are at our daughter's. There was a fair amount of traffic, lots of Trucks, no stopages of the Interstate until we got to Tucson. East bound lane was routed off I-10 to frontage road, but did not stop the flow except at traffic lights, the whole length of the city proper, due to construction I believe (?). North of Tucson by Marana on the West bound lane the traffic was blocked for 10 miles or more, due to a very bad accident. Traffic was also route to frontage road but at that area the road is only two lane, four lanes were we were routed. The accident was a Simi with two trailers and a large SUV. The trailers were wrapped around a good sized tree on the median between the interstate and the frontage road, the SUV was in the middle of the west bound lanes (3 or 4 lanes at this area) now pointing east. It was beat all to pieces, the lanes were littered with junk for a half mile it seemed. By time we got there, the police were investagating and amblances were gone. Tow trucks were waiting down the lanes for the police to finish we assumed. It was a mess. We Thanked our God for allowing us to have a safe trip. for so many safe journeys!
We plan on staying a few days then driving back home. Read the story below, worse than we saw.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/254225.php

DesertHawk
Without Our Trailer This Trip

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #2

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
We usually see one or two accidents when we travel to and from Phoenix from Tucson. So far we haven't been stuck in one of the 10-mile long traffic backups that occassionally occur, but have thought about keeping our porti-potti with us in the Odyssey!

We also see a lot of trucks and cars towing other cars, or full of stuff, on I-10 between Tuson and Phoenix, and they all appear to be heading to heading to Mexico. There's apparently a lot of used stuff bought in America and transferred to Mexico.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #3

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Patrick, this one was going the wrong direction to be one of the Mexican Used Vechile Caravans and the SUV appeared to be too new (hard to really tell) for what they export into Mexico. We see them towing all over, going south. In New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, etc. Most have mid-west plates in NM and Texas. It is a brisk business. However, the Mexican Government has put an age barrier on the vechiles, which has gotten the ones doing the exporting upset to say the least. They are Mexican national who are in this business I believe. They prefer the older models which are easier to work on by "shade tree" mechanics. We passed several yesterday as well heading south. I have never seen any of them wrecked. Well, some were wrecked but they had gotten them that way before towing them on the Hwys. A lot of Toyota pick-up we are seeing now being towed by another one. Seldom see a Mexico plate, normally a large van which has taken several drivers to tow a host of "new" used cars, trucks and vans. In Colorado in July we saw off the interstate what I assumed was a staging area for one of the caravans. A few cars and trucks parked, some hooked up for towing others being driven in to be paired up. It was north of Denver, I believe off I-25. My dad sold off about 4 John Deere tractors back in the mid '60s to some Mexican buyers I remember. Top dollar in cash. Both happy campers.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
OH my gosh. We were just there on Sat. Thank goodness we missed this. We live in central CA and went to pick up our newly purchased Casita. The exit we took to get it was Marana. Oh dear. I am grateful.