Right camper for tow vehicle.... - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #43

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
"Experienced" units have the advantage of immediate gratification, but less than 3 y.o. units will be shockingly close to, or even above, current list price. Good used ones will always look way overpriced when compared to used stickies, but not for long as someone will come along and buy it while others are still complaining about the price.

Bob,
So true, so very true. I've never even haggled a price, they disappear while I'm making travel arrangements to see them. I lost an oppotunity on one I was willing to pay more than asking price just so I'd have time to go get it!

Good luck on your search, but please don't buy the one I want! lol

Old 01-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #44

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hey Boats19:
We once agreed, by phone, upon a price for a 13' Scamp from it's seller, 325 miles away in Phoenix, and told him that we would be there by 4PM that same day. Jumped into the car, while on the road made arrangements to get a hitch installed after we bought the trailer, made room reservations for the night, and, at about 3:30, when we were less than 5 miles from his house, we got a call from the seller telling us that he had sold it to someone else.

Even when you do everything right, you can still loose out.....

Old 01-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #45

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
The thread was titled "The awakening of Olive" Updating a 79 Trillium. Posted Jan 18. The man did a beautiful job in the conversion.

Sent from my QMV7A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 01-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #46

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The 13' Scamp is a good choice for your Jeep, but please be sure to see (and spend a bit of time in) one before you decide for sure. One thing to try is to lie down in the bed area and see what it's like space-wise. The Scamp is 6'8" exterior width; when you lie down, the pillow keeps your head a few inches from the wall and your feet are likely to be flat up against the other wall. Only you can decide if it's roomy enough, and only by trying it.

There's a rally in TN next April, and one in southern IN come next May. But I bet Scamp could refer you to a nearby owner who's ok with showing off his 13'er, long before the rallies take place.

I guess you can't see yourself in a Wrangler Unlimited? 3500 lb towing has its advantages, and think of all the stuff you could put in the back.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #47

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Hi: We went through this same problem. Loved our jeep, tried towing a Aliner, and aTab,found them both to be to small. We prefer to have a bathroom. Getting up in the middle of the night to go across the camp ground was no fun. Also had dogs, which had to move to the bed when we wanted to cook. Also no comfortable place to sit. After going through about 4 small campers, we purchased a used class C motor home, and now we tow the jeep behind it. This has worked out great for us. Now we don't have to get out in the rain and cold to set up. I am a 67 year old woman and I can handle this whole thing very easily. Although when my husband and I set up together it only takes us 5 minutes to unhitch and set up. And we have a queen size bed we can get around on 3 sides, closets to hang clothes, a couch, a dinnet, a kitchen with big enough appliances, a shower, a sink and toilet. Basically everything we need, even enough room for the dog and cat. And we did it all for under 20,000 dollars. Just thought I would throw this out as another suggestion.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #48

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Me thinks that you may have forgot to include the Tow'd (Jeep) price in your total cost.... I think we have tried them all...In more than 40 years we went from backpacking & tenting to an Airstream to tent trailers to a Class "B" to a Class "A" to class "C", to mini motorhomes and to FGRV's, and are happiest with the last choice. But that's why most peeps are here.....
BTW: We were already out of diapers when you were born.... lol
Old 02-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #49

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I'm 6'2" also.
My only problem is leaving the trailer and forgetting to duck.
I always remember the answer Donna gave me to the same question 7 or 8 years ago.
She said you don't stand up that much in the trailer and she's right.
I have no problem with the height.

A sway bar is a band aid for a serious problem.
You should be able to tow a correctly loaded trailer at highway speeds, even higher, with no problem.
I'm older than most in this group and have been towing some sort of trailer since my early 20s and have never had the need for a sway bar.
I had a 16" Scamp with a shower.
On long trips I found my self pulling into a pay campground every 4 or 5 days so I could take a REAL SHOWER in comfort.
Sitting on the pot and taking a quick shower is the not so great.
I'm an old guy so the pot was handy on cold nights.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 PM   #50

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Ralph & Peggy, welcome to the FGRV forum family. Paula & I have had two 13' Scamps over the last 25 years. The 1st one was a standard with front couch/bunk, and the 2nd one was a Deluxe with a 54" bed. Each was what was needed at the time, as we had a couple of kids with the 1st, and just the 2 of us with the 2nd. I toss & turn like a top, so the 54" bed was a real blessing for us.
Neither one had air conditioning, but I installed a Fantastic Fan on the 2nd one (should have installed a MaxAir fan as it has more speed selections & can be left open during rain).
We towed with both a 1997 2 door Wrangler TJ with a 4.0L standard transmission, and with our current 2007 2 door Wrangler JK Rubicon 3.8L with an automatic. We never had any problems towing without sway bars or equalizing hitches. Both trailers had breaks. I do plan to purchase a 2017 4 door diesel Wrangler when released, for the the higher towing capacity for our Lil Snoozy (wife wanted a real bathroom & I wanted a real comfortable couch).
Best of luck with your purchase.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
P1010510.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #51

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Ralph & Peggy, welcome to the FGRV forum family. Paula & I have had two 13' Scamps over the last 25 years. The 1st one was a standard with front couch/bunk, and the 2nd one was a Deluxe with a 54" bed. Each was what was needed at the time, as we had a couple of kids with the 1st, and just the 2 of us with the 2nd. I toss & turn like a top, so the 54" bed was a real blessing for us.
Neither one had air conditioning, but I installed a Fantastic Fan on the 2nd one (should have installed a MaxAir fan as it has more speed selections & can be left open during rain).
We towed with both a 1997 2 door Wrangler TJ with a 4.0L standard transmission, and with our current 2007 2 door Wrangler JK Rubicon 3.8L with an automatic. We never had any problems towing without sway bars or equalizing hitches. Both trailers had breaks. I do plan to purchase a 2017 4 door diesel Wrangler when released, for the the higher towing capacity for our Lil Snoozy (wife wanted a real bathroom & I wanted a real comfortable couch).
Best of luck with your purchase.
Dave & Paula
Thanks Dave & Paula for your input... very informative and encouraging too! Right now I am leaning towards the 13 ft scamp with a front sofa (no shower) and the regular sized bed. If the bed is too small... the sofa would work for one of us. I am thinking of both the A/C and the 3 spd fan. I don't want to get rid of our Jeep... just want to find something we can use for our trips and camping along with our present jeep.
Thanks again...
Ralph & Peggy
Old 02-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #52

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I'm 6'2" also.
My only problem is leaving the trailer and forgetting to duck.
I always remember the answer Donna gave me to the same question 7 or 8 years ago.
She said you don't stand up that much in the trailer and she's right.
I have no problem with the height.

A sway bar is a band aid for a serious problem.
You should be able to tow a correctly loaded trailer at highway speeds, even higher, with no problem.
I'm older than most in this group and have been towing some sort of trailer since my early 20s and have never had the need for a sway bar.
I had a 16" Scamp with a shower.
On long trips I found my self pulling into a pay campground every 4 or 5 days so I could take a REAL SHOWER in comfort.
Sitting on the pot and taking a quick shower is the not so great.
I'm an old guy so the pot was handy on cold nights.
Thanks Perry...
I figured since we will not actually live in the little camper... the height should be pretty close in the SCAMP. Our time actually inside the camper will be mostly for sleeping. AND of course those long rainy days... I am not looking to get the shower since that area is the least used in a camper... big and or small! So I am opting for more useable space... and the feeling of more openness! and of course a bigger window in the front too.
Glad you mentioned the sway bar etc. I do plan on getting the elect brakes tho... and a tranny cooler for the jeep as well!
Thanks again Perry
Ralph & Peggy
Old 02-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #53

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
Hi: We went through this same problem. Loved our jeep, tried towing a Aliner, and aTab,found them both to be to small. We prefer to have a bathroom. Getting up in the middle of the night to go across the camp ground was no fun. Also had dogs, which had to move to the bed when we wanted to cook. Also no comfortable place to sit. After going through about 4 small campers, we purchased a used class C motor home, and now we tow the jeep behind it. This has worked out great for us. Now we don't have to get out in the rain and cold to set up. I am a 67 year old woman and I can handle this whole thing very easily. Although when my husband and I set up together it only takes us 5 minutes to unhitch and set up. And we have a queen size bed we can get around on 3 sides, closets to hang clothes, a couch, a dinnet, a kitchen with big enough appliances, a shower, a sink and toilet. Basically everything we need, even enough room for the dog and cat. And we did it all for under 20,000 dollars. Just thought I would throw this out as another suggestion.
Good input Laura June...
Wow... $20,000... good deal. We will probably stay with the little camper idea for now. Not sure we want to go with a big RV quite yet. Although they are nice and comfy too!
Ralph & Peggy
Old 02-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #54

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The 13' Scamp is a good choice for your Jeep, but please be sure to see (and spend a bit of time in) one before you decide for sure. One thing to try is to lie down in the bed area and see what it's like space-wise. The Scamp is 6'8" exterior width; when you lie down, the pillow keeps your head a few inches from the wall and your feet are likely to be flat up against the other wall. Only you can decide if it's roomy enough, and only by trying it.

There's a rally in TN next April, and one in southern IN come next May. But I bet Scamp could refer you to a nearby owner who's ok with showing off his 13'er, long before the rallies take place.

I guess you can't see yourself in a Wrangler Unlimited? 3500 lb towing has its advantages, and think of all the stuff you could put in the back.
Great info Mike!!!!
I am glad I am on the right track for the Scamp with the Jeep! NOPE... not looking to go with the 4 door... although they are nice and more capable too! I just like the 2 door... even with less storage and lower tow limits.
I have been given a couple of names from Scamp that have the 13 footer within an hour of us. I called both and only one returned my call. He was very informative and great to talk to. I hope to call him back soon and see if I can run over there to look his camper over.
The Scamp rallies are next... a few hours away, in Ohio and Indiana.
Thanks again Mike...
Ralph & Peggy