Right camper for tow vehicle.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Right camper for tow vehicle....

To start... I have an 09' Jeep JK two door automatic with factory tow package. I know this makes my choices severely limited! Sure I want a full size camper... with shower and toilet etc etc. But... my vehicle of choice is limited to 2,000 pounds (total) and a tongue weight not to exceed 200 pounds. I do not intend to go over those recommendations.
I do not favor tent (popup) campers for many reasons... they seem to have a lot of followers but researching the forums, they seem to have tons of troubles too. Surprisingly only a few models are under the 2,000/200 pound limits, and those are the smallest and often the lowest quality with the barest decor and furnishings. And to add... not that cheap either! I also know you can't just pull over and stop for a dinner or a rest and open the popup for a half hour or so. This is actually how we like to travel... pull over and rest or enjoy a nice view or just have a bite to eat. Rest areas and WalMarts will not allow opening a popup either.
BTW... in this note I am comparing new to new... I tend to shy away from used.
I checked out the "stickies" stick built... and those are limited as well. I think the TAB is a good camper.... but Holy Cow... talk about pricey! And the interior height is quite low as I am 6'2" and that makes it about 5 inches short for me.
RPods look very good... but alas... way too heavy for the JEEP.
The teardrops are way too small for us... and I am not wanting to change clothes while laying on the bed. And they are not that cheap either for a platform bed on wheels, although some look very good and seem to be built very well.
Which brings me to why I am "HERE"!!! These Fiberglass campers look terrific. There seems to be a fair amount of the FG campers that may just work with with my JEEP.
Right now I am favoring the 13 ft SCAMP... ( I don't know why some have posted that they are very expensive????) Casitas are all too heavy for the JEEP... the tongue weight is 265 to start with! AND they are pricier than the SCAMP! The TAB is way more expensive than the SCAMP!
I am talking to SCAMP... and researching a possible purchase of the 13 ft. So far they are pretty helpful in my inquiries.
A few questions...
For those that are around my height of (5' 14") how are you doing with the interior height of the SCAMP 13 footer?
How are you handling the small interior, both for occasional cooking and the very small bed?
Who of you opted for the shower and toilet? rather than the front couch?
( I am thinking of not ordering the shower toilet combo since it is used infrequently... and instead enjoy the roomier and more frequently used couch area.)
And finally... since a few folks are saying to me that I would not like or be able to put up with such a tiny camper... how are you folks doing with the space limitations????
Thank you all for spending the time to read this lengthy note... I look forward to seeing your input, opinions, and recommendations.
Enjoy your day...
Ralph & Peggy and Buddy Lee the wonder dog
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group Ralph & Peggy. You will get lots of help and answers hereabouts.

Your wisdom of staying well within your towing limits is applauded. As you can see, it is often an area of discussion. There is a chart in the General Chat section listing real world trailer weights that will be of help to you in your search and it will give you an idea of how much weight is added between mfg. stated weights and actual users weights.

About Price: FGRV prices are seen as being "High" in the used market as well as comparing to actual sale prices of stickies. Dealer, and especially "Show" prices for stickies are often 25% or more below suggested sales prices. Most new FGRV's are sold at close to full list price, no breaks.....

About size. Many of us are very happy with a 13' trailer, especially if one doesn't have a pressing need for a regular bathroom space. We owned a 13' SCAMP with front bath for one season and promptly sold it and bought a 13' Lil'BigFoot (essentially the same envelope) to get back the extra front space.

Most new FGRV's have to be ordered from the factory and, although SCAMP sometimes has a few "on the lot", delivery can usually range from 3-6 months.
"Experienced" units have the advantage of immediate gratification, but less than 3 y.o. units will be shockingly close to, or even above, current list price. Good used ones will always look way overpriced when compared to used stickies, but not for long as someone will come along and buy it while others are still complaining about the price.

And, BTW, "tiny" isn't a word we use, "Right Sized" might be more P.C. LOL

Again, welcome aboard and good luck in your search

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If the pop up weights scare you the first place you should take a look at when considering a Fiberglass Trailer is the thread here called Trailer Weights in the Real World.

Dont assume that those trailers on the list had full water tanks and filled to the rim with owners heavy stuff. Most of the weigh ins where done on arrival at a full hook up camp ground so its not likely that many of them had much water if any in their tanks. Also many of us are former back packers and if we could have taken another 200lbs or more of stuff out of the trailer to get the weight down we would have! ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good day Ralph.

Those Jeeps are very tough vehicles and you have lots of power and a good tranny.

Many folks will suggest you stay at 70 to 80% of your tow rating "for good measure" or some other reason but if you get the connection optimal one would believe you are good to go right up to the max rating and be comfortable doing so. Brakes on the trailer are highly recommended and once again get the connection right.

You have a very short wheelbase and the stock tires may not be the best for highway speed stability. Anti sway bar would be an asset.

Good luck with your search for the ideal Glass egg.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieboy View Post
...For those that are around my height of (5' 14") how are you doing with the interior height of the SCAMP 13 footer?...
A assume this was a mis-type, otherwise you would have stated 6'-2"?

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #6

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
A assume this was a mis-type, otherwise you would have stated 6'-2"?
nope... not a mis-type... just a fun way to say 6'2"...
Old 01-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #7

Kentucky
Thanks for your input Bob Miller.... I will refrain from using "Tiny"
MCI... I will look into a sway bar... most of what I have read says not many folks feel the need for one on the 13 footer. I intend to add a transmission cooler and have electric brakes as well. BTW... I do have an anti sway function on my Jeep. if that might help???? I hadn't thought about the stock tires... I am close to having to get another set... will look into that!
Carol... I will keep a close eye on weights of any camper. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Ralph & Peggy!

It sounds like like you might be looking at buying new. Just be aware that almost everything is optional. Don't know what the "base" price is now, but some things you have to pay extra for include: fridge, furnace, city water connection, trailer brakes, battery, AC, screen door,… The good news is that Scamp's options are generally fairly reasonably priced. Buying new will also give you the option of a larger bed (54" wide vs. the standard 45" wide), at the expense of a smaller closet and kitchenette. Well worth considering, since you are traveling with two. I would forego the bathroom. In addition to taking up valuable space, it will likely make you overweight on the tongue.

If you are also shopping used, know that they got taller starting in 2007. There was a fire at the factory in 2006 that destroyed the old molds, which had been in use since the 70's. When they made new molds after the fire they increased the height. I believe they are currently 6'3" inside. Prior to 2007, they were 6' or maybe a little less.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I am 6ft tall and have a prefire (2004)Scamp13D. It has a 6ft interior height.
I have used it now for soon to be eleven years and would not trade it for anything else on the market.
Postfire (2006+)Scamp13s have a 6'3" interior height, which would give you more clearance than I have with mine.

Ours is a Deluxe front bath which actually provides more usable space and the obvious conveniences without excessive tongue weight. We often tow with a 4CYL Ford Escape and it does very well.
Of course there have been several mold changes over the last 45 years, but the fire precipitated the change in height.
The short length of the 13 will be a nice match for the short wheelbase of your TV.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We went from a 13' Scamp to a 16-footer and back to a 13! The extra space in the 16' did not meet our needs and we were not crazy about the added tow weight. We spend as much time outdoors as possible, including cooking and eating, so the smaller tow works best for our family of 3 plus 1 large dog. We have the front couch, where the kid sleeps, but even when she is out on our own we probably won't change to the front bath -- it adds weight and takes up a good chunk of space in such a small camper. Campground showers are usually clean and that's just 15 minutes in a day. We love our good porta potty though!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #11

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Hi Ralph and Peggy.
I have a 1982 burro. Basically it is the same as the 13 ft scamp. I am also 5'14". I have no problem sleeping or standing. I have one with the sofa area that stores porta potty under it. I am considering converting the sofa space into a dinette. I got the idea from this forum. A man had done that on his Trillium. I love my little camper. Plenty of storage. I always take along much more than I ever use or wear. Good luck with your search. Happy camping. Joe
Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #12

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
I will go along with that size issue. We have a Boler 13 and a Casita 17 .Somehow the Boler gives us more interior space. On the other hand it is convenient to have a screen door on the Casita .
We spent 2 months in the Boler last winter in Arizona and New Mexico and yes, the State parks all had great washroom and shower facilities . We did spend most of our time outdoors. We also liked being able to move the trailer around by hand to get the best position on the site. Our plan is to visit Florida this winter and we felt that the Casita would be better in that climate.
I will let you know how it works out.
2008 Casita f/d-----1988 Bigfoot 5er---1987 Boler
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #13

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieboy View Post
nope... not a mis-type... just a fun way to say 6'2"...
True story - my father quit college and enlisted for military service within weeks after Pearl Harbor, and his official U.S. Army induction paperwork lists his height, by their measurement, as 5' 12". And yes, he was 6' tall at the time, or at least that's what he thought until the Army said different!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #14

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome to FGRV, Ralph & Peggy!

It sounds like like you might be looking at buying new. Just be aware that almost everything is optional. Don't know what the "base" price is now, but some things you have to pay extra for include: fridge, furnace, city water connection, trailer brakes, battery, AC, screen door,… The good news is that Scamp's options are generally fairly reasonably priced. Buying new will also give you the option of a larger bed (54" wide vs. the standard 45" wide), at the expense of a smaller closet and kitchenette. Well worth considering, since you are traveling with two. I would forego the bathroom. In addition to taking up valuable space, it will likely make you overweight on the tongue.

If you are also shopping used, know that they got taller starting in 2007. There was a fire at the factory in 2006 that destroyed the old molds, which had been in use since the 70's. When they made new molds after the fire they increased the height. I believe they are currently 6'3" inside. Prior to 2007, they were 6' or maybe a little less.
Thanks Jon for your input...
Yes indeed, everything is optional! The base price for a 13ft. Scamp is $9,295 without the shower and toilet... and $11,495 with the front shower and toilet. Yes the options do sound fair in price, but there are tons of options or add ons! Right now I am looking for NEW... I am not very good at "used" in other words... I hate to take a chance with buying a good deal and finding out it is not such a good deal!
I am looking into the larger bed option... since we may not get the shower toilet combination... the couch may be a good idea as a back up if we cannot sleep within the 45 inches of the standard bed. I think I would not like loosing the 10 inches or so of counter space and storage space along with floor space. (just not sure on that one yet)
Thanks again for your much needed and appreciated input!
Ralph
Old 01-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #15

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I am 6ft tall and have a prefire (2004)Scamp13D. It has a 6ft interior height.
I have used it now for soon to be eleven years and would not trade it for anything else on the market.
Postfire (2006+)Scamp13s have a 6'3" interior height, which would give you more clearance than I have with mine.

Ours is a Deluxe front bath which actually provides more usable space and the obvious conveniences without excessive tongue weight. We often tow with a 4CYL Ford Escape and it does very well.
Of course there have been several mold changes over the last 45 years, but the fire precipitated the change in height.
The short length of the 13 will be a nice match for the short wheelbase of your TV.
Thank you Floyd for your input... 11 years is a good long time! A question... How does a front bathroom provide more "usable space"? At this time of decision making... now is the time to consider all opinions! I would think however, that it would be more limiting... taking up floor space, and overall the whole area for a room that may be used on and off maybe 30 minutes during the whole day?
I am looking forward to your thoughts on this!
Ralph & Peggy
Old 01-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #16

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
We went from a 13' Scamp to a 16-footer and back to a 13! The extra space in the 16' did not meet our needs and we were not crazy about the added tow weight. We spend as much time outdoors as possible, including cooking and eating, so the smaller tow works best for our family of 3 plus 1 large dog. We have the front couch, where the kid sleeps, but even when she is out on our own we probably won't change to the front bath -- it adds weight and takes up a good chunk of space in such a small camper. Campground showers are usually clean and that's just 15 minutes in a day. We love our good porta potty though!
Darnelle... thanks for your input!
Wow having a 16 footer and going back to a 13 footer! I would have never thought that would or might could happen! I understand tho about the extra weight. With the limitations of the JEEP of ours... I can only stay under the 2,000 and 200 pounds!
We rented a very large 32 ft. RV a year ago to treat our Daughter and her family of 5 to a nice long trip. We called it "7 in a box for 9 days and 3,000 miles!" We did have a wonderful time! But... thinking about it... we didn't use the shower much at all and opted to use the nice showers at each KOA we stayed at (most of the time). Peggy and I did use the shower one time while the kids and grand kids were touring a place that we just waited out for them.
We do intend to be outside the camper more than in! Probably not cook much inside either... but then again... we all have them... those long rainy days that you can't do much but wait it out! That is where the SCAMP will shine! We can sit and read and craft... or cook and or just plain sleep it off! (except for walking the dog!)
May I ask if you have the standard bed size or the larger bed size?
Thanks again
Ralph & Peggy too
Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #17

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle of flight View Post
Hi Ralph and Peggy.
I have a 1982 burro. Basically it is the same as the 13 ft scamp. I am also 5'14". I have no problem sleeping or standing. I have one with the sofa area that stores porta potty under it. I am considering converting the sofa space into a dinette. I got the idea from this forum. A man had done that on his Trillium. I love my little camper. Plenty of storage. I always take along much more than I ever use or wear. Good luck with your search. Happy camping. Joe
Joe... thanks for your idea! I "LIKE" the idea of a dinette in the couch area!!!! Sure does make it very versatile! I think I am favoring the couch rather than the bathroom... and that idea of a dinette just makes a whole lot of sense to me! If you find reference to it again... please send it my way!
Thanks again...
Ralph & Peggy
Old 01-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #18

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Kirk View Post
I will go along with that size issue. We have a Boler 13 and a Casita 17 .Somehow the Boler gives us more interior space. On the other hand it is convenient to have a screen door on the Casita .
We spent 2 months in the Boler last winter in Arizona and New Mexico and yes, the State parks all had great washroom and shower facilities . We did spend most of our time outdoors. We also liked being able to move the trailer around by hand to get the best position on the site. Our plan is to visit Florida this winter and we felt that the Casita would be better in that climate.
I will let you know how it works out.

Bobby... interesting to see that for you the 13 footer seems to have more interior space! Very surprising! Very encouraging too!
Thanks for your input
Ralph & Peggy
Old 01-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #19

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
True story - my father quit college and enlisted for military service within weeks after Pearl Harbor, and his official U.S. Army induction paperwork lists his height, by their measurement, as 5' 12". And yes, he was 6' tall at the time, or at least that's what he thought until the Army said different!
Long ago.... I started saying I was 5'14" when all the nieces and nephews and kids in general always said I was so tall!!!! So I answered that I was ONLY 5 foot 14 inches tall! It made them think!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Just a suggestion and assuming that you have not already done so. With summer coming up consider searching this site for upcoming gatherings in you area and attend one ( staying in a nearby motel ). Visit the gathering and look at and sit in any and all units that you think might be suitable for your needs (don't worry fiber glass people are usually very excited to show you their rig and extol it's virtues ) before you make a decision as to what to purchase. There is a significant difference in looking at floor plans and pictures and visualizing their comfort level and seeing the actual unit. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote