Right camper for tow vehicle.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #21

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Ralph and Peggy,
We have the smaller bed. We'd probably prefer the larger bed, but didn't have that choice when buying used. I made a bed extension so we sleep with our heads under the back window. That works pretty good, but takes up almost all the floor space causing a bit of a crunch when getting up to use the porta potty. The potty sits by the door at night which works well. We're going to try sleeping without the bed extension, with our heads opposite each other, once our 100-lb. dog is gone (he's almost 10).
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieboy View Post
Joe... thanks for your idea! I "LIKE" the idea of a dinette in the couch area!!!! Sure does make it very versatile! I think I am favoring the couch rather than the bathroom... and that idea of a dinette just makes a whole lot of sense to me! If you find reference to it again... please send it my way!
Thanks again...
Ralph & Peggy
Saw this beautiful Boler for sale and noticed how they did the front dinette: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...obo-67910.html I assume the upper bunk/sofa backrest is removed and left at home when not needed. You could do the exact same thing with a Scamp.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #23

Oh, and we have front and back windows, which gives a much better view, and that really seems to make the inside feel bigger than our 16' with the front closet. Since we love being outdoors, I've toyed with the idea of pulling out the inside stovetop... and then it is cold and rainy and a hot cuppa while watching a movie makes for a great day!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #24

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Just a suggestion and assuming that you have not already done so. With summer coming up consider searching this site for upcoming gatherings in you area and attend one ( staying in a nearby motel ). Visit the gathering and look at and sit in any and all units that you think might be suitable for your needs (don't worry fiber glass people are usually very excited to show you their rig and extol it's virtues ) before you make a decision as to what to purchase. There is a significant difference in looking at floor plans and pictures and visualizing their comfort level and seeing the actual unit. Lee
Lee... thanks... I totally agree with you! I will be checking on the closest ones and try to attend!
Ralph & Peggy
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #25

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Saw this beautiful Boler for sale and noticed how they did the front dinette: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...obo-67910.html I assume the upper bunk/sofa backrest is removed and left at home when not needed. You could do the exact same thing with a Scamp.
Thanks JON... looks just right!
Today I received the brochure from SCAMP in the mail. I was surprised to see that they offer this dinette for the 13 footer with the deluxe wood package!!!! I am not much interested in the wood because of cost and weight... but now that they do the dinette in the front... I might have to look that over a bit more closely!
Enjoy...
Ralph & Peggy
Old 01-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #26

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
Ralph and Peggy,
We have the smaller bed. We'd probably prefer the larger bed, but didn't have that choice when buying used. I made a bed extension so we sleep with our heads under the back window. That works pretty good, but takes up almost all the floor space causing a bit of a crunch when getting up to use the porta potty. The potty sits by the door at night which works well. We're going to try sleeping without the bed extension, with our heads opposite each other, once our 100-lb. dog is gone (he's almost 10).
Thanks again... I saw that extension somewhere in a group of photos... and thought it was a wonderful idea!!! But now that you mention that it sticks out into the path so far... might not be such a great idea in practice! Yes our dog "Buddy Lee" is a 70 pound boxer and springer mix... a very lively combination. He thinks he is a lap dog!
Enjoy
Ralph & Peggy
Old 01-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #27

Kentucky
Quote:
Oh, and we have front and back windows, which gives a much better view, and that really seems to make the inside feel bigger than our 16' with the front closet. Since we love being outdoors, I've toyed with the idea of pulling out the inside stovetop... and then it is cold and rainy and a hot cuppa while watching a movie makes for a great day!
Darnelle I totally agree with you about the windows... front and back windows would be the best! I am not sure about the little window over the cook stove area... how practical is that?
A question... Do the front and back windows open? I thought I read somewhere that the back and front windows do not open????
Enjoy your day...
Ralph & Peggy
Old 01-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #28

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Here we go again.....trying to put a size 10 foot into a size 8 shoe.

STOP....first go out and find a Travel Trailer that fits you and your life style...look at all types...educate yourself....ask about weights...don't limit yourself...you will not be a happy camper if the unit you select is a giant compromise....
Second (after selecting what is right for you) go and trade in that jeep with such a low tow rating and poor Consumer's Report Rating for a vehicle that will do the job....something with a good rating and plenty of towing muscle.

You will then be an educated, safe and happy camper.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #29

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Ralph,

Welcome to the forum!

I know that the top-mounted AC unit does hang down a
a few inches from the ceiling and might sometimes be a
head-knocker for a tall guy. I think that would be true for
many FGRVs. Probably not a deal breaker, but just an FYI

For interior pix of a Scamp13 with the 54" bed you could
look in the following threads:

For pictures of the inside of our Scamp 13, look at the following thread:
Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size

For pictures of a newer similar Scamp 13, look at the following thread:
Mission Accomplished - Scamp is Home!

For general discussions with a similar FGRV searcher, you might take a
at the following thread:
Matt and Family
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ily-67509.html

Good luck with your search!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I am not sure about the little window over the cook stove area... how practical is that?
It is handy to leave open for ventilation in cold weather at night (away from the beds so no one gets a draft), in the rain, or in storage. But if I were ordering new I'd be inclined to leave it off. I'm not sure its functionality really justifies a hole in the shell, especially now that Scamp has gone back to crank-out jalousie-type windows in the dinette area again. We do almost all of our cooking outside, anyway.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a Scamp 13' with bathroom (love the bathroom) and the 45" bed and do NOT like it. What my preference would be is to have the narrower counter but leave me the larger closet. 54" on one end and the 45" on the other. I took out our stove and use a single electric unit. I dont have a furnace so the bottom cabinets would be fine. I'm 5'6 and the wife 5'. We're not "big" people and I would not purchase the 45" bed again.

Here's the clincher RalphieBoy....the bed is not even actually 45"!! It's a little less than 44" and click on my Flickr link to see it. It widens out a bit past the counter but I need the SHOULDER room. There's some other photos on the Flickr site about my Scamp if you have time to peruse them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50351683@N08/14505933194/

Darral

Quote:
Thanks Jon for your input...
Yes indeed, everything is optional! The base price for a 13ft. Scamp is $9,295 without the shower and toilet... and $11,495 with the front shower and toilet. Yes the options do sound fair in price, but there are tons of options or add ons! Right now I am looking for NEW... I am not very good at "used" in other words... I hate to take a chance with buying a good deal and finding out it is not such a good deal!
I am looking into the larger bed option... since we may not get the shower toilet combination... the couch may be a good idea as a back up if we cannot sleep within the 45 inches of the standard bed. I think I would not like loosing the 10 inches or so of counter space and storage space along with floor space. (just not sure on that one yet)
Thanks again for your much needed and appreciated input!
Ralph
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #32

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I have a Scamp 13' with bathroom (love the bathroom) and the 45" bed and do NOT like it. What my preference would be is to have the narrower counter but leave me the larger closet. 54" on one end and the 45" on the other. I took out our stove and use a single electric unit. I dont have a furnace so the bottom cabinets would be fine. I'm 5'6 and the wife 5'. We're not "big" people and I would not purchase the 45" bed again.

Here's the clincher RalphieBoy....the bed is not even actually 45"!! It's a little less than 44" and click on my Flickr link to see it. It widens out a bit past the counter but I need the SHOULDER room. There's some other photos on the Flickr site about my Scamp if you have time to peruse them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50351683@N08/14505933194/

Darral

I checked out some of your other scamp photos and really like the new deadbolt and latch ! Where'd you buy it from ?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #33

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post

STOP....first go out and find a Travel Trailer that fits you and your life style...look at all types...educate yourself....ask about weights...don't limit yourself...you will not be a happy camper if the unit you select is a giant compromise....
Second (after selecting what is right for you) go and trade in that jeep with such a low tow rating and poor Consumer's Report Rating for a vehicle that will do the job....something with a good rating and plenty of towing muscle.

That theory may make them and educated and safe camper, but it may also strap them to the point where they won't be able to afford to enjoy going out and using the Trailer and tow vehicle they "want"

Understand that some (maybe most) peeps on this site can't just chuck their current TV, at maybe a huge loss, and go out and buy another vehicle with even larger payments. Maybe they have just paid off the Jeep and want to add a trailer. The O.P. was asking for suggestions about what they could tow with their existing vehicle. Just getting the "Right" vehicle for what they want isn't always practical or even possible.

With a 2000 lbs limit there is a wide variety of FGRV's to choose from, I hope they find one that will suit them well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #34

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post

Your input is noted...
I am not new to camping or trailering or RV'ing... I have educated myself over the years and continue to do so, hence this post!
I will not trade in my Jeep... it is my vehicle of choice. I am not going to buy a tow vehicle AND a trailer... I am looking into a camper that will suite the Jeep and the life style I now enjoy. If I can't find a suitable camper that will fit the JEEP tow limits... I will stay with renting RV's and tenting.
I have found that these campers are appealing and I am researching them for a possible way to go.
Thank you
Ralph
Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #35

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
That theory may make them and educated and safe camper, but it may also strap them to the point where they won't be able to afford to enjoy going out and using the Trailer and tow vehicle they "want"

Understand that some (maybe most) peeps on this site can't just chuck their current TV, at maybe a huge loss, and go out and buy another vehicle with even larger payments. Maybe they have just paid off the Jeep and want to add a trailer. The O.P. was asking for suggestions about what they could tow with their existing vehicle. Just getting the "Right" vehicle for what they want isn't always practical or even possible.

With a 2000 lbs limit there is a wide variety of FGRV's to choose from, I hope they find one that will suit them well.
Thank you Bob!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #36

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Ralph,

Welcome to the forum!

I know that the top-mounted AC unit does hang down a
a few inches from the ceiling and might sometimes be a
head-knocker for a tall guy. I think that would be true for
many FGRVs. Probably not a deal breaker, but just an FYI

For interior pix of a Scamp13 with the 54" bed you could
look in the following threads:

For pictures of the inside of our Scamp 13, look at the following thread:

For pictures of a newer similar Scamp 13, look at the following thread:

For general discussions with a similar FGRV searcher, you might take a
at the following thread:
Matt and Family
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ily-67509.html

Good luck with your search!

Ray
Ray... thanks a lot for your input and photos!!!!! This seems to be where I am heading towards. And I had not thought of the A/C hanging down either... although it would be understood once I hit my head on it! LOL
Enjoy your day...
Ralph & Peggy
Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Man View Post
I checked out some of your other scamp photos and really like the new deadbolt and latch ! Where'd you buy it from ?
I ordered it off of Amazon. At the time, I found it delivered (about this time last year) for around $30!! But you wont find one that cheap now I dont think but it's worth every penny what ever you have to pay for it. It's the "FIC" brand and is sold under several names- one is AP. This is probably one of the most-used door latch/locks in all of the RV industry. Below is a link to Amazon and a lock identical to it. I made it more difficult because I didnt want the striker plate mounting method to be seen and it's not.

Amazon.com: AP Products 015-204310 Chrome Entrance Door Latch with Keys: Automotive
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #38

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Ralph,

Since our 2011 Honda CRV did an acceptable job of pulling our Scamp13,
I'm guessing that your Jeep may do OK too? Even though a Scamp13 can
be configured with fairly low weight, I would strongly consider adding
the electric brakes and always keeping in mind that you will be towing
at or near the top of your vehicles rated capacity.
As you've already seen, opinions do vary on this. 'Nuff sed!

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos and input. Everyone's camping wants,
needs, and constraints are different. I wouldn't begin to presume that
I might have the right answers for you and your family.

That said, if you are really thinking about a Scamp13, you might consider
the following:

There is a rumored Scamp price increase coming in March 2015.
(maybe a few hundred dollars?)

I'd try to actually look at a Scamp (and other brands?) in person.
(If you don't want to drive up to Backus (Mn) to the factory, Scamp
maintains a list of owners in various parts of the country that would
be willing to let you look inside their trailers. Even better would be to
attend one of the Fiberglass Rallys and see all kinds of trailers and
talk to bunches of owners.
I think that the next Rally will be in Sebring (Fl) Feb 9th to 14th ....
maybe take your own tent (or a CLAM 1660 with privacy/wind panels?)
to Florida for a long weekend?
Rally Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...Y.kH9EkyWon6YM

Scamp Camp - Sebring, Fl
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-64627.html

If you're considering ordering a Scamp, I'd ask the salesman for
the "samples kit". Our Scamp salesman, Wayne, sent us one .. I've
heard that not all salesmen do that ... maybe without a specific request.
(The samples kit contains samples of cushion fabric in various colors,
curtain material, wall covering material, vinyl flooring, etc. We changed
our cushion color preference after seeing that kit.)

There are a bunch of relatively inexpensive and low weight options
that you might not want to skimp on .. extra lights (convert to LED
later), extra 110v outlets, at least one or more 12v outlets, the 3-spd
in+out Fantastic Fan (our 3spd fan does a great job and has helped
us skip the weight and aerodynamic drag of a top-mounted AC),
and perhaps an electric "demand" water pump. .... YMMV )

If you plan to continue your research, here are a few more threads
(with a sometimes dizzying array of opinions from good people) that
that might contain tidbits of applicable information:

13' Scamp Weight
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ght-67206.html

Hi! I'm Mary
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ary-67555.html

Looking for a light camper for 4 in New England
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/n...treply&t=67926

Thanks for the great site!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ite-67838.html

Replaced Lamps with LED's
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eds-65947.html

Remember that the opinions that really matter are yours and your
family's and ....... as always, YMMV!

Once again ... Good luck on your search!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #39

Our back window opens, but not the front. I'm adding supports to the stone guard so it will double as a window awning, and adding a stone guard and supports to the back window as well. We have the little window by the stove and some nights everything helps, but sometimes it's best to run a fan with just one opposing window open to force the breeze to the best location. And some nights nothing will do except an AC; I'll be making a simple removable AC bracket for the rear window (but currently that is above our heads!). Our door window does not open, but I wish it did. I think we have the factory roof fan and it is worthless. Want to upgrade to a Fantastic Fan -- pricey, but maybe could then eliminate the "portable" AC altogether. Want to convert to solar for more boondocking and then the Fantastic will be a great choice. Our lap dog pushes 100lbs., and he thinks the only place he can sleep is pressed up against me! Great advice from Patrick. Also, I think the only way one can know what is needed for a camper can only completely be known by doing it. Camping is very individual and can vary greatly between people. Look around, ask questions, consider your camping style -- then don't be surprised to make a few changes. The main goal for me was to not lose my shirt with the buying and selling!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #40

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
The main goal for me was to not lose my shirt with the buying and selling!
I like that. There's the perfect trailer. Then there's the one I actually found and could afford.

I could have waited and saved my pennies to get the perfect trailer, but then I would have given up one or more seasons of precious and unrecoverable camping time with my children. I could have gone into debt to get the perfect trailer, but then I'd be mortgaging our next adventure- a family trip to Korea, where my wife was born.