rivets - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I had a quick question re: rivets. On my 2010 Scamp on the outside it looks like the factory puts silicone or something similar under the caps. It is already coming off on several rivets. Is this something you have to redo every year and if so what is the best stuff to use for it.
I must confess I much prefer the clean look of the Trillium with no 'pimples' on the outside.
Thanks.
Most likely what you are seeing is the excess sealer coming off. Most likely it is still sealed where it counts. There is no way to add more under the rivet without removing it. If you do suspect a leak, here is a product that I have used many times in the past with very good results. I have sealed many leaks due to electrolytic rivet corrosion on aluminum trailers using this product. I'm never without it. You can find it through marine suppliers where it is used extensively.

Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack maloney View Post
Surprising, considering the frequency with which rivet issues are raised in this forum! Rivet breaks, leaks, and replacements have often been discussed over the years I've been in this forum.
While I have seldom seen broken , loose or missing rivets, except on those trailers with the cabinets cut or removed, I can say that rivets would not be an issue when refitting since two people could replace them all for a few dollars and an afternoon's work. I have refitted many brands of fiberglass trailers with and without rivets, and rivets are not even a consideration when you consider the work which they all have in common.
I had a great little Trillium, I discovered the bolts had rusted which held the body to the frame leaving it actually unattached, Still it is a nice trailer.
I had a Burro in which the inner and outer walls were anywhere from touching to three inches of gap.
My Compact Jr. had such flimsy furniture made from framing smaller than 1X2s and 1/8th" paneling which had broken away from nearly all of it's attachment points.
As Davidso said... "rare is the advantage that comes without compromise".

I thought this quote from the Martian Translating Device might explain the whole controversy...

" All green of skin... 800 centuries ago, their bodily fluids include the birth of half-breeds. For the fundamental truth self-determination of the cosmos, for dark is the suede that mows like a harvest."
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I wish I had something to contribute, other than this observation on a three year old resurrected thread---
Haven't heard from ron smith nor Raya in a very very long time.
Sherry (we don't have rivets. No advice, sorry)
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I had a quick question re: rivets. On my 2010 Scamp on the outside it looks like the factory puts silicone or something similar under the caps. It is already coming off on several rivets. Is this something you have to redo every year and if so what is the best stuff to use for it.
I must confess I much prefer the clean look of the Trillium with no 'pimples' on the outside.
Thanks.
You may need to replace the caps about once every three or four years depending on UV exposure,any silicone you might see coming off from around any button is superfluous and nothing to be concerned about...
They do make button caps in various colors, Maybe I'll buy RED next time so I can claim that I have only one "measlely" little Scamp! who knows maybe it will result in larger , more private campsites.

So.... why not a Trillium?Or an Escape Trillium clone?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Caps

I wonder why they don't first paint the caps white. That would extend their life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I wonder why they don't first paint the caps white. That would extend their life.
You could before you install them...Use "Fusion" paint , no primer needed. I now have indoor storage so my caps will last a longer time, but I might just consider that on the next set.
Maybe a little spray glue on and old piece of paneling to keep the caps from moving around when you spray them!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #27

Arizona
I've "fusioned" all the plastic on my trailer except the caps. I just did the escape hatch about a month ago. It looks better and blocks the UV.

I may end up kicked out of the next egg rally for all the rivet caps I have . I removed a window and riveted in a panel to cover the hole. I think it took 28 rivets . If anyone complains I may just pop off the caps and hit them with dayglow orange Fusion

A fella could also write "Scamp" across the back in rivets

David
Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #28

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You could before you install them...Use "Fusion" paint , no primer needed. I now have indoor storage so my caps will last a longer time, but I might just consider that on the next set.
Maybe a little spray glue on and old piece of paneling to keep the caps from moving around when you spray them!
contact paper Floyd . You know, like the drawer liner stuff.
David
Old 11-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
contact paper Floyd . You know, like the drawer liner stuff.
David
Perfect idea! I have some around here someplace with a disgusting pattern!