Road closures on the Outerbanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2019, 04:26 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Road closures on the Outerbanks

Anyone headed to the Outerbanks be aware of overwash and closure of route 12 north of Rodanthe.

https://islandfreepress.org/outer-ba...ts-at-430-p-m/
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Y’all down this way?
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:39 AM   #3
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
Y’all down this way?
No, I'm staying put this year. I was thinking about it but one look at the traffic cams tells me to stay home . There was a rally in Waves. I hope those folks didn't get flooded. The pictures in the paper showed lots of lost vehicles.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:53 AM   #4

We spent a few days in the Buxton area after Dorian passed through. The first night was at Frisco (normally, our favorite) but the mosquitoes were so bad we moved to Cape Point for the remainder of our stay. Most of the damage suffered there appeared to be from flooding rather than wind. Lots of duct work, insulation and appliances stacked alongside the highway for pickup.

Portsmouth Island, part of Cape Lookout National Seashore, was hit particularly hard. We're friends with the couple who run the private ferry service there and they reported the twenty mile long island was cut through in over fifty places. The Park Service did a great job of dredging the landing and the island was re-opened last week. The NPS cabins there however, won't be available until next year.

Hope you can make it back down this way before too long.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
Raz

I looked into going over to Portsmouth Island from Ocracoke. At the time it wasn't expensive but for some reason we never did. A while later I was at the visitors center and there was a rather agitated group of people there. It seems they had gone over to Portsmouth with the same fellow I had spoken to and he didn't pick them up until the next day. They had spent the night without food, or shelter. Sounded like the mosquitos had a feast. And the Park Service was not much help.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Folks.....

FWIW, this past weekend was on the schedule for "Eggshells in the Outer Banks", at Camp Hatteras, Rodanthe, OBX. I arrived at noon on Friday to an area about 23 miles above the campground, to find the road sealed by police. High tides had overtopped the dunes and washed great amounts of sand and water just after the bridge.....and south of Rodanthe, as well.

Despite hopeful announcements by NC DOT, it was clear that they couldn't get the road clear by late Friday or midday Saturday. I ended up turning around and driving a long 550 miles home to PA.

According to later newscasts from the area, NC DOT managed to open the way north at 10 PM Saturday night....but wasn't making promises it would stay open after the next high tide. I haven't recieved news since.

This is a real loss to all who planned and organized the Rally, to a beautiful campground, and to all who were planning to attend.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

Raz - I can’t imagine what might have happened for folks to be left overnight on the island. The tour operators I know seem to be reputable business people. I’ve been stranded there a few times over the years due to weather conditions but we were camping and had our jeeps along with sufficient provisions. The only access from Ocracoke is via passenger service operations to the Village on the north end but Morris Marina runs a vehicle ferry to the south end where the Park Service cabins are located.

Frank - September and October are great times to visit the OBX IF you can be flexible with your dates. Otherwise, it’s a crap shoot. I think this is the second time that rally has been affected by weather. I’m sorry you had such along drive for nothing and hope you’ll be able to return soon with better conditions.

Al
Old 10-15-2019, 04:13 AM   #8

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Al.....

Thanks for the feedback. Any time I sign up for a rally well in advance of the date....I mentally prepare myself for stuff like this. Fortunately, most times things work out OK. This time I ended up with a road adventure instead of a rally.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:16 AM   #9
Raz

Frank, pictures like these are what kept me away. Even if you don't get flooded, driving through that stuff can't be good for your tow or trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
_20191015_081516.JPG   _20191015_081220.JPG  

_20191015_081112.JPG