Road Conditions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Road Conditions

We are heading this Saturday from our home in Northwest Wisconsin to Crooked Lake SP in St Marys Georgia .If one can believe the national and local newscasts it will not be safe to drive in the Southeast USA until about the middle of June , Are the roads that impassable ? .We got about 4 to 6 inches of snow this morning and we had no problem making a trip of over 100 miles.
I checked the weather forecasts on the internet and it shows temps in the 40 to 60 Deg F range for the area in the near future. We had 23 Deg F and sunny yesterday and the roads melted themselves clear of snow or does snow melt at a different temperature in the South?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
No snow here at Jekyll, but heard the Carolinas got a lot of snow. Forgot that in a previous post you said you had been here before. Did you get to driftwood beach, eat at Soltera, see the abandoned amphitheater and skeet house, visit the buried ship wreck, and search for an island treasure? Have a safe trip to Crooked RIVER.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #3

NW Wisconsin
Visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
No snow here at Jekyll, but heard the Carolinas got a lot of snow. Forgot that in a previous post you said you had been here before. Did you get to driftwood beach, eat at Soltera, see the abandoned amphitheater and skeet house, visit the buried ship wreck, and search for an island treasure? Have a safe trip to Crooked RIVER.
We stopped and visited Jekyll Island one afternoon and only for a couple of hours .We walked on the beach and drove around a little but that was about it .Glad to hear that you were able to avoid the bad weather. We've had about 4 ft. of snow so far this winter and I am running out of places to pile the snow. Hoping by the time we return from our trip some of the snow has melted
Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #4

Name: Madalyn
Trailer: 2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
I live in North Carolina and we did get snow and ice and things were a mess for a day but temps are above freezing now and everything has/is melting away. Supposed to get back to normal temps with Los in the 40's to highs of 60 plus, you should be fine to travel down south!

Safe Travels!
Madalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #5

NW Wisconsin
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post
I live in North Carolina and we did get snow and ice and things were a mess for a day but temps are above freezing now and everything has/is melting away. Supposed to get back to normal temps with Los in the 40's to highs of 60 plus, you should be fine to travel down south!

Safe Travels!
Thank you very much It is hard to tell from 1400 miles away what the real road conditions are and the news tend to sensationalize everything . Thanks Again
Old 02-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Georgia, SC, Nc, VA all have power outages due to this recent storm.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:17 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When I have ventured south during a snow storm, the problem was not the weather, it's the drivers. Summer tires, lack of experiences' and traffic make for white knuckles. That said, I'm envious. We're here through mud season. Have a safe trip and enjoy, Raz

p.s well over 12" here so far and still counting. Gonna get some "seat time" on the tractor this morning
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Steve, here we have a website you can go to and look at webcams which are placed on most major highways in key winter travel problem areas. The website also has an major weather and road warnings post by highway number. It helps a lot to see it yourself and decide which route to take rather than hearing about the conditions on the radio. Road conditions can change greatly in an hour so it helps to have a smart phone and be able to check the website when approaching a major highway junction to see what each road really looks like ahead in deciding which road to take.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's overnight temps that I worry about. 40 in the day time will mean lots of melt that will be ice tomorrow morning.

Now, how many bad drivers did it take for that 50-100 vehicle pile up on the PA Turnpike last night???? It usually starts with one.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #10

Registry
Personally find that what the temperature is at at the time I am driving on a snow covered road plays a big part in how good I feel about it. Much rather drive on a road where the temp is 3-4 degrees below or above freezing - actually the more either way the better. Find when its hoovering at the freezing mark it will drop up and down with the slightest change in elevation resulting in much slipper road conditions quickly when driving on compact snow. I always keep a close eye on the cars in dash road temp gage and adjust my speed accordingly.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #11

NW Wisconsin
Smart phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Steve, here we have a website you can go to and look at webcams which are placed on most major highways in key winter travel problem areas. The website also has an major weather and road warnings post by highway number. It helps a lot to see it yourself and decide which route to take rather than hearing about the conditions on the radio. Road conditions can change greatly in an hour so it helps to have a smart phone and be able to check the website when approaching a major highway junction to see what each road really looks like ahead in deciding which road to take.
I wish I had a smart phone but unfortunately I do not . The other problem is the smart phone requires someone bright enough to operate it and again I come up short . One more reason that I should be taking one of my grandkids along on the trip
Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I wish I had a smart phone but unfortunately I do not . The other problem is the smart phone requires someone bright enough to operate it and again I come up short . One more reason that I should be taking one of my grandkids along on the trip
LOL taking the grandkids is a big bonus on its own.... but honestly if my 91 year old mother can figure out how to text on a smart phone, I am pretty sure you can figure out how to use the browser on a smart phone..... not suggesting teaching your elderly mother to text is the best of ideas though
Old 02-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #13

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
We are watching the weather right now as we are preparing for our first snowbirding trip. I can only say that accessing weather info, forecasts and road conditions has never been better. The smartphone is something we just got and will be using on the road a lot. We live in the boonies and so before the internet we were limited to radio weather reports that lasted 5 seconds, twice a day. It was infuriating.

Now I can watch the weather as it is unfolding along the roads I am travelling and get 24-48 hour road condition forecasts anytime. Never listen to radio or TV much anymore and don't miss it.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #14

New York
[QUOTE=Rene;442166]We are watching the weather right now as we are preparing for our first snowbirding trip.

Kind of late in the year for snowbirding, winter's almost over. We are heading back north in 2 weeks, been south since mid November.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Maybe she meant snowboarding??
Old 02-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

I thought I was the only one...

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #17

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I don't know whether you're going through eastern PA or not but here's what the I-95 corridor is looking like today.

jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
North?

[QUOTE=mary and bob;442170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
We are watching the weather right now as we are preparing for our first snowbirding trip.

Kind of late in the year for snowbirding, winter's almost over. We are heading back north in 2 weeks, been south since mid November.
Mary and Bob,

Heading north???? Boston is about to have their 9 blanketing snow storm in 16 days (days not weeks), the Great Lakes are almost frozen over (even the ice breakers are tired). Have you considered heading south?

We're waiting for thr robins to come back to NH.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #19

New York
Yes Norm, heading north does sound kind of crazy. We're leaving Jekyll March 1, with stops at Skidaway, James Island, Huntington Beach, and Cheraw. Will hit home about March 9. Hoping winter will be most over by then. Maybe I need to deal with a little snow to remind me what it's like. We've been thinking we should have headed farther south for the last month or so, it's been colder than normal here this year. Supposed to finally warm up this week now that it is time to leave. It's just been an off winter here in all respects, not only the weather, but people sick, hurt, campers and cars crashed, trailer unhooked on the road, crazy year. Worst we've had was month long colds. Hope we can get home without any disasters.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wishing you safe travels. For Ginny the choices were FL or Yuma, AZ. We did have a good time in the West, but cold at night with decent day time temperatures.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote