Road service - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Road service

What are you using for road service? I’ve had Good Sam for years but it’s gotten expensive. Looking for suggestions. Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
What are you using for road service? .
I use a service called DIY. There is no charge for labor, only parts.
With strict attention to routine maintenance, inspections and your fuel gauge, for these little trailers there is little likelihood that roadside assistance will be needed much beyond a tire change, which it just so happens I had to do on my last trip.

So the cost is just not worth it to me. Now as I get older, that might change, or if I had a huge rig that was more likely to break down, maybe.

Note that I am not talking about coverage for help towing after an accident where it is a case of damage so bad that you can't move the rig.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
With strict attention to routine maintenance, inspections and your fuel gauge, for these little trailers there is little likelihood that roadside assistance will be needed much beyond a tire change, which it just so happens I had to do on my last trip.

So the cost is just not worth it to me. Now as I get older, that might change, or if I had a huge rig that was more likely to break down, maybe.

Note that I am not talking about coverage for help towing after an accident where it is a case of damage so bad that you can't move the rig.
I agree with Gordon on this one, everyone should know how to change a tire ,replace a fuse and check their fuel gauge. Anything more major than that and road service won't help you anyway other than providing a tow.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
I agree with Gordon on this one, everyone should know how to change a tire ....
While we agree... I do recognize that some people are physically not capable of changing a tire or other things like that. But generally the benefit of a roadside service is not in line with the costs when it comes to a little camper. It would be good perhaps to first define the services you absolutely need vs those that you don't.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Ditto...

Except for the fact that Ford has free road service for my TC, including towing and gasoline delivery for the duration of the warranty, it includes the trailer. Oh! and towing on my vehicle insurance.

Other than that I have saved the premiums for road service for fifty years which means I have a slush fund in case I ever needed it, which I haven't so far.
Also, I have made it a habit to provide roadside help for stranded motorists over my entire adult life.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #6

IL
Quote:
While we agree... I do recognize that some people are physically not capable of changing a tire or other things like that. But generally the benefit of a roadside service is not in line with the costs when it comes to a little camper. It would be good perhaps to first define the services you absolutely need vs those that you don't.
Also agree, i do forget sometimes that we have a diverse age range of members here.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
We have AAA and have been more than satisfied with the service. Tried Good Sam for awhile but didn't like their policy of choosing the destination if towing is needed. AAA allows us to do that within the 200 mile limits of our policy. We've had to use towing for breakdowns more than once, in all cases for problems that couldn't be solved in the field.

We can and do change our own tires most of the time rather than wait for the guy to show up. "We" of course in its imperial form; Mr. Big Strong Man gets to do the job while I look on in my supervisory capacity. When I'm alone I'm more likely to call the company to do it since despite having the knowhow, the tools, and the willingness to tackle the job I lack the strength to get the @#$%^@ lug nuts loose so must wait for a substitute Big Strong Man to happen by, hopefully in a mood to help the damsel in distress lol.
Confession:
I did exactly that on a recent solo trip, got up to a trailer flat and didn't want to call AAA because...wait for it...only the day before I RAN OUT OF GAS necessitating an out-in-the-boonies rescue from them and was just too embarrassed to call them again less than 24 hrs later.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #8

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I lack the strength to get the @#$%^@ lug nuts loose so must wait for a substitute Big Strong Man to happen by
My wife has the same issue, the trick that works for her is to stand on the end of the lug wrench and kind of bounce up and down. Good trick for an emergency.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
We have AAA and have been more than satisfied with the service. .... I lack the strength to get the @#$%^@ lug nuts loose so must wait ...
How about a pipe to slip over the lug wrench to gain leverage... if it is possible to get enough leverage a child could get them loose.

As for AAA, I have also heard of people waiting hours for them. Always good to have a back-up plan and DIY might be the one.
Attached Thumbnails
Quote.jpg  
Old 10-25-2018, 02:32 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I bought Good Sam before our trip to Alaska, as I did not want to be in the middle of nowhere without some service agreement.

At the same time, my main effort before the trip went into maintenance: tested all batteries (replaced the one in my TV), replaced all wheel bearings, all new tires, etc. I also made sure I had all the tools necessary to do the basics on the road myself. One problem service agreement or not, when you are in the middle of nowhere, do not expect a quick response. Instead, being ready to do yourself is a better option.

I've always used the "jump on the lug wrench" method to loosen lug nuts.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I've always used the "jump on the lug wrench" method to loosen lug nuts.

Should probably wear a medical alert if you do that.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
In a pinch, you can use the jack on the lug wrench to break the lug nuts loose before lifting the vehicle .
Its usually the "pros" at the tire place who over tighten them in the first place.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote