Road trip from Wisconsin to Seattle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #15

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Our traveling companion (Ellie the Munchkin cat) turned out to be fun to have along. She rides in the van up on the luggage looking out as we drive. In the camper, she sleeps wrapped around my head (I could not sleep at first but found a way to make it work.). She shows a healthy fear of the open camper door, although we may invest in the GPS tracker. She is with us now in our camper at Custer, SD, and during the change from the van to the camper, she was too interested in the outside for my comfort.

It has turned out well (except for 3 AM stinky poops), and she will be our permanent camping cat, or, since we just left from our annual volunteering on Pine Ridge Reservation in SD, our new Rez cat. Here she is in our Uhaul camper wearing her Lakota collar.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Rez cat.jpg  

Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #16

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Depending on which route you take from Yellowstone, the Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic site in Deer Lodge Montana is worth a stop. Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site - Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site It is a working cattle ranch - in 1850's it was originally 10 million acres - about 1200 acres donated intact to the NPS in the 1960's. They have reenactors on site. 'Cookie' was manning the chuck wagon when we were there. 'One cup coffee to one cup water and throw in a horse shoe, would you like a cup?' How could we refuse? Have fun.

Happy Trails
Kathie

Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #17

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
If you are traveling with an iPhone or iPad ( I use an iPad ) then a couple of apps are really handy to have, save some weight and are easy to use. The first is you can get the current version of Rand McNally road atlas for $5 and the second is an app called Allstays. I also have campwhere, state parks and oh, ranger, but of all of them, I like Allstays best. These apps pretty much eliminate the big heavy telephone-book-thick Woodalls directory.

Enjoy your trip, sounds like a fun journey.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #18

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Pete, last year we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary by taking our 13' Scamp for a 60 day trip up the west coast. We found that we had over packed. We did use large plastic storage tubs & suit cases divided into categories of use, such as winter clothing, rain jackets, summer, swimsuits, laundry products, tools, etc. and kept them in the truck bed, which was covered by a used fiberglass topper that we purchased for such occasions. This method kept the clutter down in the little Scamp. My wife is an avid reader, so we purchased a kindle fire, and we used our apple lap top to search points of interest, stay updated on the FGRV forum, and to watch movies on. We don't have smart phones yet, but I could see how having them would be a great help, especially for a "hot spot" for our lap top. We would drive and take in the adventures along the way, and maybe only travel 50 miles. I found that after 3 days in one place was about right before the travel itch got us going. Many times if we called ahead for just an over night stay somewhere, and explained that we did NOT require any hook-ups, we could get a much better price. I believe that all the sights along your route would require at least 2-3 months, and you won't believe how fast the time flies, and how close the two of you become again . The 13' Scamp was all we needed, but my wife would like to get something with a bathroom when we start traveling after retirement, as a few facilities we had to use were 3rd world-like.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
Old 06-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
I'd suggest Devils Tower National Monunent, Craters of the Moon, Crater Lake and Olympic NP.. doesn't take long to pay for the National Parks Pass

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130602_152918.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	59922

Name:	ForumRunner_20130602_153057.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	59923

Name:	ForumRunner_20130602_153211.png
Views:	18
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	59924

Name:	ForumRunner_20130602_153321.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	59925
Old 06-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #20

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
Well we took the cat with on a short drive today...not happy...really not happy...holy crap not happy, think we may leave her home and hire the neighbor as we do for shorter vacations. We'll try again tomorrow maybe with some cat nip. Well it seems to work like alcohol
Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #21

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Several of mine are like that. I haven't had them in the camper, by they hate driving. I get something from the vet called "ace", it keeps the kitties happy, and I don't get stressed out.

They rarely travel, they usually stay at home. They're good for two weeks on their own.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #22

Wisconsin
Hey Dave and Paula, sounds familiar :kindle fire, no smart phone, large plastic storage bins, Apple net book and we already have a bathroom TG. Sure do appreciate all the input from our FG friends we're writing them down...oh I'm sorry, we're loading them on that computer thingy. Thanks Pete
Old 06-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #23

Wisconsin
We are leaving Sat., 2 days, leaving cat home (yeah-boo) and at the last minute found out we need ball joints in truck ugh...We have compiled all the info youse guys have given and are now trying to check in to getting some kind of wi-fi you can use on the road with I-pad (we don't have fancy phones and "onstar" on our other vehicle evidently won't transfer, shucks!! If we can get that maybe I'll be able to keep up with this site while traveling.

Thanks Pete & Donna
Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #24

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We don't have fancy phones either.

When we bought our iPad we had the choice of getting one that was AT&T configured or Verizon configured. We got the Verizon. At that time we were able to purchase month by month 1 GB for $20 a month. When the one GB is used up we have to buy another GB. If there is leftover at the end of the month it does not carryover to the new month. We can not stop and start this plan. each month another $20.

This has worked very well for us. We use Allstays, Campwhere, and I especially like the Intellicast (free) app. The Intellicast looks better on the iPad than it does on our other laptops. We can follow tornado cells, see the way the wind is blowing, etc. Very nice options on the map layers.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

nancy
Old 06-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Drive almost to Anacortes, turn south to Whidbey Island, and take said ferry from Coupeville (Keystone) You'll need a reservation (actually a plus) for the ferry. If you come across 20 just follow it to the ferry (and you'll miss the infamous collapsed bridge, but probably not the traffic from it.)
Actually went around the infamous collapsible bridge last week-end and the main detour wasn't all that bad going down on Friday afternoon. Did the 536 to the 20 on the way back and it was even better - pretty clear of traffic, at worst it may have added no more than about 15 min etc travel time to my trip, but was a much nicer drive than the usual I5 route.

I agree with others taking the Port Townsend to Keystone/Coupeville ferry (either way) is a great way to go. Much better scenery & avoid the I5 traffic. A couple of great state parks not to far from the Port Townsend ferry you can stay at. Its gotten even better now that you can make reservations at the Fort Casey Campground which is located right beside the Keystone/Coupeville ferry terminal. It use to be all first come first serve. Spent the May long week-end at Fort Casey camping spot right on the water and sat and watching the ferries come and go. Alternatively Deception Pass State park is a nice spot to stay on that side as well & not to far from the Keystone Ferry.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #26

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I keep meaning to go up there and camp for a few days just to enjoy the ferries coming and going- maybe soon. It's close to home so not a good overnight stop!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #27

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Washington
I'd recommend Feliway spray(cat pheromone spray) for her in the car, and I'd start with her in a crate covered with a blanket. If she's not happy about the crate, you might have to first acclimate her to that. For cats that hate cars (2 of my 4) crates covered with blankets help a LOT for trips to the vet, Feliway helps even more.

Then take her to the car and give her canned tuna (or whatever puts her over the top treat-wise) over and over for a day but don't go anywhere. Next day, do the same thing, but turn the truck on, still not going anywhere, just let the engine idle with her for a few seconds at first, then more and more each time. Third day, do the same thing but drive around the block. Then just keep going on multiple short trips with her on the other days leading up to your trip.

It's not easy but if you take it slow and use the highest value treats you can think of (mayonnaise, cheese, anything in tiny amounts that she's crazy over) and don't overwhelm her with it all at once it will probably be fine. But not bringing her is fine too, and start prepping her now for the next trip! Our 4 stay at home, it's a lot easier
Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #28

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
One of the things to know, if you choose to take your cat in the future, is that you simply might have to put up with howling for several hundred miles. I posted a thread somewhere here before we tried taking Ellie to FL last year. Most people who responded that when they took their cats howling occurred during the first couple hundred miles and then it was quiet. It was and is that with Ellie too. She howls for a couple hours and then seems fine looking out the window. We just had her with us for a week and a half when we made our annual trip to volunteer on Pine Ridge Reservation. On the way home, she kept crawling into her carrier like it was comforting to her. She loves the camper itself, as her humans are in a small space with her for several hours a day.

Just a word of caution - if you ever plan to do a hotel room for a night or two, we found Days Inns that advertise "pet-friendly" do not always mean cats.

CindyL