road trip to Snoozyville - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
road trip to Snoozyville

Well, I'm getting excited about the upcoming road trip. Going to pick up my Lil Hauly soon. Planning to leave OK on Tuesday, spend Tues night probably in a tent in Mississippi's Holly Springs NF at Chewalla Lake, then make it to St. Matthews either late Wed afternoon or first thing Thur a.m. Then head back the same way.

I thought about a 500 mile detour south to visit the Florida panhandle, but weather forecasts there call for warmer temps than I prefer. Especially the overnight lows around 75, which would make it hard to sleep in the trailer (or even the tent). So I'll go that way some other time.

Anyone here been to Chewalla Lake? Did you like it?

And I'm trying to recall, what CG have you folks been staying at near St. Matthews?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Some have stayed at Sweetwater, SC when they pick up their Snoozys.

It was pouring down rain when we went so we just headed on out.

Sweet water, SC (2)
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #3

NE Oklahoma
I found the address other members gave me.

Sweetwater Lake Campground
58 Campground TRL
St. Matthews, S.C. 29135
803-874-3547

They told me it was a pay on the honor.
And to bring a fishing pole as there is fishing.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #4

Carl, thanks! That looks like a perfect location.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #5

After more research, I see that Holly Springs is only 435 miles down the road. Maybe too soon to stop on the way there, but pretty good for the way back. Starting to lean toward Whitten Park (COE) in Fulton MS. Photos look mighty nice... they even have a lit-up nature path for a nighttime stroll.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Whitten Park COE CG Fulton MS.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	59929
Old 06-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

NE Oklahoma
Yeah, it all depends on timing.
It was about 10 or 11 am both visits I made
so a bit early to set up camp when you've got
a thousand miles to make. And more if you
head down to Florida.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #7

Well, I'm back. After 2000 miles and 4 days of driving, I'm still vibrating from the car motion. But Lil Hauley is parked in the driveway, so it was worth it.

Here's a side view at a rest area today. The hitch weight probably isn't much more than a hundred lbs, but it squats the rear of the HL a little.

Name:	P1010093 sm.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	60202

Inside, it's pretty bare! Other than my bedroll and stuff. I had a shelf built into the front, higher and less wide than the normal bed, but it did work when I wanted to shelve myself for the night.

Name:	P1010089 sm.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	60203

I figured up my gas mileage for the trip back, and it was 14.5 MPG. Headed west all the way, with typical headwinds. So I do think I can get 15 mpg overall when using this for work. That will be dandy!

I got to meet both Alan and Nicholas. Alan did a great job with the trailer and it met my hopes and expectations, with one small exception being that the interior lights were left unhooked electrically. So I will have to get a line run from the plug to the interior, I guess. The frame is all galvanized and looks great (a guy at a gas station mistook it for aluminum), and the electric trailer brakes are working fine. The swinging side mount jack I requested looks to be a top quality one, unlike the $20 bolt-on cheapo I would normally buy from Harbor Freight.

The CG at Fulton MS turned out to be pretty nice, so I stopped there again on the way back home. The walkway lights on the forest paths were not operating and in disrepair, unfortunately. But the paths were very pleasant and the wonderful earthy, forest aroma was strong both there and in my campsite. The CG has several fishing piers (some of the paths lead to them), a small beach area, a gazebo, and more.

Name:	P1010082 sm.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	60204

The paths I mention are all short, but for those who like a longer walk (or run or even a bike ride), a paved, well lit path extends atop a dike from the CG entrance south for 3 or 4 miles. Here is a view from the south end:

Name:	P1010091 sm.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	60205

If anyone happens to be traveling by Fulton MS (E of Tunica), this Whitten COE CG is worth staying at. One caveat: if showering in the B loop, use the handicap shower stall... the other stall's shower head puts out a pitifully pathetic, ultra-light mist that will make a navy shower look luxurious in comparison.

While near St. Matthews I stayed at the Sweetwater Lake CG mentioned previously. I would only recommend this place for fully self contained trailers, however, because the restrooms are so old and dismal. In my visits to the men's room I encountered a cockroach and 2 toads inside there, so I got in and out as quickly as possible. Other than that dilapidated structure, the place is really quiet and pleasant with a nice view of the pond.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

NE Oklahoma
Glad you made it home safe and sound..............