Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
OK...

commas,

semi-colons,

suburbatons...

How many of you who have posted to this thread can directly trace your genealogy to Mrs. Malaprop?

Roger
Sew, dat's wut I bin dune..... Larry

Old 08-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Yup, I almost collected a moose with my truck/camper combo last year on the Kancamagus highway in the White Mountains of NH. More luck than anything that I didn't hit it.

Nearly had to clean my shorts after that encounter...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Wrote a compact car off once when I collided with an elk. Mangled the hood up pretty good and smashed the windshield right in front of the driver's seat with it's head. I was very lucky that the elk didn't have a large set of antlers on it or I would have been shish kebob!

When it hit the front end I must have instinctively hit the brakes, with it then coming at the windshield. Some people say that you should hit the gas in that situation instead so that the animal goes up nstead of towards the windshield, but I don't know if there's any truth in that Even if there was, I'd be hard pressed to... "yes Mr. Insurance agent I was accelerating into the animal at a good clip When do I get that replacement vehicle?"

BTW - the woman in that story NUTS!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Actually, I did meet a couple of motorcyclists on the Blue Ridge Parkway who had had a couple of near misses with deer and tried whistles. They had no conclusive experiences to report regarding deer, and almost hit a crippled bear, but they did report that the roadside birds were definitely taking off sooner with the whistles than they did before -- Who knows?

Moose in the dark are definitely not reflective -- Unlike deer, their hides seem to have many more planes that seem to act as headlight camouflage, plus their bodies and eyes are well above the headlights and out of the reflective angles (try walking around the woods at night with a flashlight but hold it up in front of your eyes; you will see a lot more critters looking back at you that way).
Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 AM   #19

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Some people here in northwest BC have installed Moose Bumpers, meant to deflect moose away from the windshield. Moose vs. car = Moose wins! I know one guy who is partially blind after striking a moose. A lot of moose are spotted on the side/hit on the road where a new highway cuts a lush marsh in half.

I have seen deer stand stock-still, blinded by headlights (it has something to do with their eyes' cones or rods) but moose act erratically for sure. One time a juvenile moose charged towards us, then galloped along side of us (this was daylight, fortunately!) then turned to charge, then raced ahead of us, then finally turned off into the bush. Good thing hubby was driving, because all I could do was shout, "It's a moose! Duck!"
Old 08-31-2007, 12:34 AM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Some people here in northwest BC have installed Moose Bumpers, meant to deflect moose away from the windshield. Moose vs. car = Moose wins! I know one guy who is partially blind after striking a moose. A lot of moose are spotted on the side/hit on the road where a new highway cuts a lush marsh in half.

I have seen deer stand stock-still, blinded by headlights (it has something to do with their eyes' cones or rods) but moose act erratically for sure. One time a juvenile moose charged towards us, then galloped along side of us (this was daylight, fortunately!) then turned to charge, then raced ahead of us, then finally turned off into the bush. Good thing hubby was driving, because all I could do was shout, "It's a moose! Duck!"

WOW, did you get a picture of the Moose Duck?