Rocky Mountain National Park - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2003, 08:48 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It would also be a lot faster to get to Littleton from the Estes Park side of RMNP ...

Paul ... depending on the traffic in Denver, you might want to hit Littleton on your way in or out of RMNP, rather that driving down on a day in the middle of your stay.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 08:48 PM   #22

Our plan is to approach RMNP from the NE. We will stay the night prior to entering the park in Loveland. Then we will enter the park in the a.m., spend most of the day on the east side, and head over to Winding River late afternoon. We'll get back over to the east side during our stay, too. Our daughter has long wished for a vacation where, once we arrive at the general destination, we just set up camp once and just make day outings. So, we're going to accomodate her wish this year. Hence only staying in the one campground on the west side, and hence the day-trip down to Littleton. We plan to approach Denver metro from the southwest side, thereby avoiding "most" of the traffic. My wife lived in Littleton for a number of years (about a block from the prison) up until we got married (we were married in Littleton, for that matter), but I'm sure it's built up quite a bit since we were last there.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:21 AM   #23

Ah ... makes sense!

You'll have a great trip. The aspen trees will be turning by Sept. The elk will be down for the rut.

There's nothing like an elk bugle to make you feel alive!

When driving over Trail Ridge Road (or any mountain pass) while towing ...

Remember to go down the mountain in the same gear that brought you up the mountain ... a spin off on "you have to go home with the same girl that you brought to the dance." :)

Usually that will be second gear on an automatic. Don't ride your brakes on the way down!

Old 07-22-2003, 12:18 PM   #24

East side West side

Paul, I think if you use the Extension cord you should run it from the West Side :)

Unfortunately, we will be out in California the first 2 weeks of September so will probably miss you. Durn! Maybe next time.

Charles, I guess I didn't realize that about Wind River being on the West side. I missed it.

Regards,

Old 07-22-2003, 12:23 PM   #25

<<Durn! Maybe next time.>>

Ha! The LAST time was in 1986 -- next time might be awhile...

Old 07-22-2003, 03:33 PM   #26

Next Time

Well, my Mother (91), Aunt (95) and Brother live in Auburn Indiana so I will be coming back there probably before you come here again at that rate. So maybe I'll have to look you up on the way by. In fact, Wifey and I are leaving this Thursday (with the Casita in tow) for Marion, Illinois to attend a family reunion so we'll be close. But, if the humidity is like it was when I lived in Illinois, I'm sure we won't stay long.

Someday we'll all meet up at a Rally or something I'm sure.

Regards,

Old 07-22-2003, 06:35 PM   #27

The quaking Aspen

>>The aspen trees will be turning by Sept

Like golden bangles dancing in the sun. The cold crisp fall air with the scent of pine...

Elk in rut; the cowboys bring the cattle down for the winter...

:weep I wanna go!

Old 07-22-2003, 08:41 PM   #28

Colorado

Approaching from the N.E.; hmmm That means I-80 to I-25 probably. Might consider I-76 to Brush/Ft. Morgan, then across via Greeley.

Would suggest you check this web site;

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/

It doesnt have the final answers, but a good start. Have found many smallish community sponsored sites (4-8) for free thru Kansas, Nebraska, eastern Colorado; some with hookups, some without. We try to stay off the I's as much as possible. Have fun!

BillH
The K-Bears
:sunny S.E. Colorado

Old 07-23-2003, 10:15 AM   #29

Keith - I hope we can. I really look forward to actually meeting some of the great folks I've "met" on this site.

Quote:
Orginally posted by Keith Williams

Well, my Mother (91), Aunt (95) and Brother live in Auburn Indiana so I will be coming back there probably before you come here again at that rate. So maybe I'll have to look you up on the way by. In fact, Wifey and I are leaving this Thursday (with the Casita in tow) for Marion, Illinois to attend a family reunion so we'll be close. But, if the humidity is like it was when I lived in Illinois, I'm sure we won't stay long.

Someday we'll all meet up at a Rally or something I'm sure.

Regards,
Bill -- if you know of any free campgrounds anywhere around Omaha, NE, or Kearney, NE, with or without hookups, but prefer with, let me know. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2003, 02:10 PM   #30

Heres a few

http://www.gypsyjournal.net/free_campgroun...overnight_p.htm

Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #31

Name: Layton
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I also use a CPAP machine and see they have just come out with some really small battery operated ones good for two nights and solar charged. I intend to look into it closer but what a relief that would be.
Back Road Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Layton, we have several members who use CPAP machines for sleep apnea. Please let us know what you find out.

Inquiring minds want to know
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #33

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
As a CPAP user, I'd sure like more information about a *small* battery powered unit. Mine will run off of 12V, but I have no idea what sort of power drain it would impose on the Scamp's battery.

BTW... (since this did start out as a discussion of RMNP!) I once got busted by the rangers for flying a kite in the big meadows (you know...the one right before you start crawling up the side of the mountain). Turns out it was elk mating season, and they were worried I'd disturb the beasties. Since I really, Really, REALLY didn't want a pissed-off bull elk on my tail, I ceased & desisted.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
CPAP Usage

We have a REMstar Pro M Series in our house and I have researched what sort of draw it uses. When using it with a 12 volt plug the heater element is automatically turned off. It still blows over the unheated water, thus giving you some moisture.

The draw is 1.8 amps @ 12.6 V, thus for eight hours you would need 14.4 amp hours. I think your daily draw will be less, especially if you turn the machine off when not in use.

As a comparison a furnace fan draws between 5 and 7 amps depending on model. The big difference is a furnace fan is intermitent and dependent on outside temperature. Based on our experience we can run a week off battery. We are using dual 6 volt golf cart batteries that give 300+ total capacity, if using a single 12 volt it maybe closer to 120 total capacity.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #35

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Wow, it was a surprise to see this thread resurface after all these years! I was the OP, and we had a great time on that trip! I do recommend Winding River. That was a long time ago, and a lot has changed. We have since sold our Scamp, and gone to a LittleGuy teardrop. I did eventually buy a small genset, but felt so guilty and conspicuous every time I fired it up, that I sold it shortly thereafter. I never adapted well to a CPAP, and had UPPP surgery as an alternative. So, I no longer have need of a CPAP. And, now, we regularly camp in primitive areas, where we find it is much quieter.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote