Rocky Mountain National Park - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Shoot, Paul. Our trailers are so little that heating the water for coffee warms up mine enough to take the edge off the morning nip... One trick is to sleep late... but then I like to get up and build a little, early morning campfire. (Then, the trailer being too cold is Skip's problem, not mine... but, I know your mileage may vary.)

Anyway, you'll have a great time, no matter what. Enjoy your shower, and all the rest of it!! :wave

Old 07-18-2003, 02:09 PM   #16

My wife hates the smell of coffee (this is one area where I will never be "one" with my wife!), so I'll be limited to heating a pot of water. :) My blood sugar drops way low by morning, :zz and I have a hard time getting out of bed if it's cold. Once I'm up and have some food in me, I can handle the cold just fine, but first thing in the morning is rough.

Old 07-18-2003, 09:57 PM   #17

Dang, I'm sorry

:o :o :o
Dang, I'm sorry everybody. I meant to say QUIET Gen Set in my reply to Paul. I read all of Charles' posts about the Jerks with Gens before I went back to Paul's string. I am with you all on the ''Don't understand idiot insensitive people'' business. The ones who will make excessive noise in a campground are the same ones who will let their kids go wild in a restaurant or sound like the ''thundering herd'' when they are above you in a Hotel. I just spent 3 nights in Farmington, NM underneath some of those jerks. I even thought I heard an Industrial Strength Generator running up there, Charles.

Paul, the only other thing I can think of is for you to buy about 2 miles of extension cord and run it out into the woods. :lol :lol

Seriously, I empathize with your situation and hope you can find an acceptable solution. It sounds like Charles has a lot of good tips for you and I am going to even check some of those out myself.

If you need anything while you are out this way, I'm available.

Regards,
Old 07-19-2003, 10:24 PM   #18

Well, Charles, our vacation hinges on your trusty database of campsites - we are booked into site #53 at Winding River for September 7 -11. They seemed very pleasant on the phone. Thanks for the information.

Keith - my wife has an autistic brother who lives in a home in Littleton. I've never met him, but we plan to take one day (probably the 9th) to run down into town to visit him, visit Red Rocks, and have dinner at Casa Bonita (where I got severe food poisoning last time I was there - the evening before our wedding. Now there's a story!...) So, we'll be right in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for all the help, folks, and Mary, you'll be glad to know I'm foregoing the generator.:) Personally, I'd love to have a generator, and I think generators are wonderful things (we lose power a lot here at home), but like so many things, they are wonderful only in the right context. I'm really not sure I'd ever feel comfortable running one in a campground.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:41 AM   #19

Keith ... you realize that Winding River is near the West Entrance to RMNP ... at Grand Lake.

Are you going to spend any time on the East side?

It's about an hour or so ride up and over Trail Ridge Road ... which connects the two sides.

How are you going to approach RMNP?

If you are going to approach from the East ... I'd stay a night or two at an RV park in Estes Park so you can explore the east side of RMNP ... and then pull your trailer up and over Trail Ridge Road to Winding River near Grand Lake, where you can explore the west side.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:44 AM   #20

Site 53 is a nice quiet, isolated site. You'll enjoy it!
Old 07-20-2003, 09:48 AM   #21

It would also be a lot faster to get to Littleton from the Estes Park side of RMNP ...

Paul ... depending on the traffic in Denver, you might want to hit Littleton on your way in or out of RMNP, rather that driving down on a day in the middle of your stay.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:48 PM   #22

Our plan is to approach RMNP from the NE. We will stay the night prior to entering the park in Loveland. Then we will enter the park in the a.m., spend most of the day on the east side, and head over to Winding River late afternoon. We'll get back over to the east side during our stay, too. Our daughter has long wished for a vacation where, once we arrive at the general destination, we just set up camp once and just make day outings. So, we're going to accomodate her wish this year. Hence only staying in the one campground on the west side, and hence the day-trip down to Littleton. We plan to approach Denver metro from the southwest side, thereby avoiding "most" of the traffic. My wife lived in Littleton for a number of years (about a block from the prison) up until we got married (we were married in Littleton, for that matter), but I'm sure it's built up quite a bit since we were last there.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:21 AM   #23

Ah ... makes sense!

You'll have a great trip. The aspen trees will be turning by Sept. The elk will be down for the rut.

There's nothing like an elk bugle to make you feel alive!

When driving over Trail Ridge Road (or any mountain pass) while towing ...

Remember to go down the mountain in the same gear that brought you up the mountain ... a spin off on "you have to go home with the same girl that you brought to the dance." :)

Usually that will be second gear on an automatic. Don't ride your brakes on the way down!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:18 PM   #24

East side West side

Paul, I think if you use the Extension cord you should run it from the West Side :)

Unfortunately, we will be out in California the first 2 weeks of September so will probably miss you. Durn! Maybe next time.

Charles, I guess I didn't realize that about Wind River being on the West side. I missed it.

Regards,
Old 07-22-2003, 01:23 PM   #25

<<Durn! Maybe next time.>>

Ha! The LAST time was in 1986 -- next time might be awhile...
Old 07-22-2003, 04:33 PM   #26

Next Time

Well, my Mother (91), Aunt (95) and Brother live in Auburn Indiana so I will be coming back there probably before you come here again at that rate. So maybe I'll have to look you up on the way by. In fact, Wifey and I are leaving this Thursday (with the Casita in tow) for Marion, Illinois to attend a family reunion so we'll be close. But, if the humidity is like it was when I lived in Illinois, I'm sure we won't stay long.

Someday we'll all meet up at a Rally or something I'm sure.

Regards,
Old 07-22-2003, 07:35 PM   #27

The quaking Aspen

>>The aspen trees will be turning by Sept

Like golden bangles dancing in the sun. The cold crisp fall air with the scent of pine...

Elk in rut; the cowboys bring the cattle down for the winter...

:weep I wanna go!
Old 07-22-2003, 09:41 PM   #28

Colorado

Approaching from the N.E.; hmmm That means I-80 to I-25 probably. Might consider I-76 to Brush/Ft. Morgan, then across via Greeley.

Would suggest you check this web site;

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/

It doesnt have the final answers, but a good start. Have found many smallish community sponsored sites (4-8) for free thru Kansas, Nebraska, eastern Colorado; some with hookups, some without. We try to stay off the I's as much as possible. Have fun!

BillH
The K-Bears
:sunny S.E. Colorado