Old 04-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #1

Name: angie
Trailer: roamer rand vagabond
west midlands
Registry
roma rand vagabond to spend or not to spend

hi all , i have posted before , ages ago to be fare , still have my little camper and as yet still have found no other camper like her ,my van is a 1970 roma rand vagabond , there are pics on my profile , she is made of fibreglass but the middle section is canvas , des any one know of any other vans the same , she was made in south africa but i purchased her in the uk , the van is all good apart from the side panels on the awning , these are faded and i would love to replace them with better ones that are not faded , but having not found another van the same i have no idea on what value she has , getting side panels made for her could be expensive and not being a rich person i dont want to spend loads of money then to find my lovely camper was worthless if you couldplease take the time to take a look at my pics and then tell me wether youthink she has enough value to warrent spending out for new side panels .... thank you

Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Angie, I looked at your pics in your profile and I think you have a nice trailer. I've never seen a custom canvas skirt like that, for around the bottom of the trailer when parked... very unique. And that's a really unusual tongue, too.

If the panels are just faded looking but are still working well, I would not worry about them. If you had plenty of money and wanted the trailer to look perfect, I could understand replacing them. But if you don't feel like you can afford it, don't let the looks bother you... they look fine to me in the pictures.

In the USA I will make a guess that this sort of trailer might be worth anywhere from $1,500 to perhaps $3,000... but maybe more if someone really valued it for its rarity.

I hope you enjoy using it!

Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #3

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Angie; I would venture to say that I think all of us on here love your Roma Rand Vagabond.

For me you have a camper that is as unique and in the same class as the Willerby. Here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...egory&catid=55

I'm sure it would gather TONS of attention at a rally or classic car show. It looks great the way it is.

As to value, I have no idea what the market back in the UK is these days. You have to ask yourself is it worth it to you. I must admit I didn't want to "over-improve" my Boler.

But if you are considering selling it one day, questions like; would you get your costs back? Would it be easier to sell with new canvas or not?

Let us know what you do with it. We'd love to hear about it!
Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I found you here:
my 1970 roamer rand vagabond UKCampsite.co.uk Trailer Tents, Folding Campers, and Folding Caravans Forum Messages
but I can't seem to find your pics, can you post a link.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Bob, you can see pics in her Registry.

Click on them to enlarge.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Thank You, I found the images and I agree with everyone else.
For the most part (Except for Airstreams and a very few others) "Rare" doesn't add a whole lot to value, but "Unusual" is always hot, at least with the retro trailer groupies. Any number of people into early RV's would grab it fast in the U.S. and I think that there comparable groups in the U.K. as well.
Me, I'd keep it, do a little fixing, and tease everyone that wants it...
Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Welcome back Angie. I have nothing to offer that others haven't already said... but I think it's cool
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #8

Name: angie
Trailer: roamer rand vagabond
west midlands
Registry
thanks evry one for your comments , i have no intention of getting rid of her anytime soon , she is too cute ... the canvas part of the trailer was made by preddy bros and i have no info on them either , the one good thing about the canvas on this is that it is simple , no complicated shapes , the side panels all seperate and simply join to the canopy with hooks , the side panels attach to each other by zips , i know if i had a powerful enough sewing machine to get through thick canvas i can do it my self , lucky enough i used to be an industrial sewing machinist , it would just inprove her look so much
Old 02-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #9

Name: Johann
Trailer: Roamer Rand
Mpumalanga
Hi all,
Maybe I can shed some (a little) light on an old thread here....
I just bought a Roamer Rand fibreglass caravan here in Sunny South Africa. It is a 1963 model, and I'm the 3rd owner:

The Roamer was built by Roamer Rand, but as these threats already stated, they only make canopies for LCV's these days...
I am also in the process of buying a Preddy tent......
Preddy Tents was manufactured by Preddy Bros. from Wadeville, Germiston, Johannesburg, South Africa.
I can not locate the exact date of closure, but they are closed down for years, but some tent are still in circulation.
Hope this helps a little.
Cheers,
Johann