Roof Seam Leak? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Roof Seam Leak?

Hello! I was looking at the Burro on ebay and it said it had a roof seam leak in the past and now was fixed. I hope he didnt patch it with Silicone. But what I am really wondering is unless the roof was damaged how is it possible for the seam to leak when it's suppose to be Fiberglassed together? Is this a regular issue with Eggs assembled this way like Uhauls as well so this needs to be inspected upon purchase? How would you even check for something like that as the carpet covering the seam may hide it. Is it really something to be concerned about?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Even the belly band trailers occasionally leak at the seam.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You can buy the stuff that covers the seam I think.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
From the photos, the trailer looks pretty clean, but there are also no closeups of the exterior. Maybe they'll post more photos for you. You can usually ask questions about the item being auctioned. Ask the seller to describe how it was repaired.
Sometimes you can get a good feel for the seller by how he communicates with you.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hello! I was looking at the Burro on ebay and it said it had a roof seam leak in the past and now was fixed. I hope he didnt patch it with Silicone. But what I am really wondering is unless the roof was damaged how is it possible for the seam to leak when it's suppose to be Fiberglassed together? Is this a regular issue with Eggs assembled this way like Uhauls as well so this needs to be inspected upon purchase? How would you even check for something like that as the carpet covering the seam may hide it. Is it really something to be concerned about?
I have a 1980 Burro that I am restoring. The seam on mine was cracked where it meets the floor in both the front and the rear about 8 to 10 inches long. The cracks may have occurred because the floor was rotted and sagged. During construction, when they glued the right and left half together they just used thickened resin. They did not use fiberglass cloth, mat or tape, so there is no reinforcement across the seam and resin alone is brittle without reinforcement. It is possible for the seam to have cracked in the roof causing the leak, although a leak around the roof vent would be more likely and could be misinterpreted to be a seam leak.

I would suggest checking the floor for rot very carefully. When my Burro was built, they did not seal the plywood edges of the floor at the wheel wells very well and water gets into the plywood and can not evaporate because of the fiberglass on both sides of the plywood.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote