Roof vents omitted? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Roof vents omitted?

Has anyone ever seen an eggcamper or the like have no roof vents? I wonder if there is a camper out there that is truly not touched on the roof to allow 100% no leaks on the roof top. I was just thinking about it since I can't stand sun roofs for this issue in cars, wondered if anyone has done w/o the roof vents.
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
Has anyone ever seen an eggcamper or the like have no roof vents? I wonder if there is a camper out there that is truly not touched on the roof to allow 100% no leaks on the roof top. I was just thinking about it since I can't stand sun roofs for this issue in cars, wondered if anyone has done w/o the roof vents.
Thanks in advance!
NO . The ventilation provided by the roof vents especially a powered roof vent far out weighs my concern about a possible leak .
One could eliminate the windows which are another major source for leaks but at that point you would have a cargo trailer and not a travel trailer.
Some on this forum have also suggested the elimination of the bathroom in a trailer because the plumbing MIGHT leak.
Seems like a lot of worrying over something that may never happen
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #3

Michigan
I was just curious, and I own a sticky, I know all about leaks and fixing them I was just curious since I see the Lil' Snoozy doesn't have any that I see, except for at the back of the unit. Just wondered if others do this. Unless I'm missing that in the pictures on their site.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There is another roof vent or vents that are important. The small vents that are about 5" in diameter are for waste water tanks and allow for the black and grey water tanks to drain. I have one vent/skylight, 2 waste water vents and a refrigerator vent as well as the AC unit which all have to be monitored and maintained. Hard to avoid any of these.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have installed a sunroof in most of my cars and light trucks with no issues over the last forty years or so.
If you want no leaks in a fiberglass trailer, get one without windows!
Windows will leak a lot more over time than a properly installed roof vent.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:10 AM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have installed a sunroof in most of my cars and light trucks with no issues over the last forty years or so.
If you want no leaks in a fiberglass trailer, get one without windows!
Windows will leak a lot more over time than a properly installed roof vent.
Good to know, but I have not had the luck you have with sun roofs! I had T tops on the z28, leaked, and then my durango I had it fixed 2x since it I pushed at the back of it the whole thing lifted even when closed!! Nothing like driving during a rain storm while shoving a rag up there to stop leaks while driving cuz you are dressed up and need to stay dry. I also hated the wet butt getting in. I guess I just see that pretty clean slate and hate to see it cut if one could get by w/o it. I did have a window leak but it was my weather stripping not the seam itself easy fix lol
Old 07-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sunroofs are not my thing either... My wife's car has one. No issues with leaks, but seems like it's always either too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy, or too much exhaust/dust/smoke to use. We did open it the other evening during a twilight drive, and our 13-year-old says, "Hey, I forgot that was there!"

OTOH, I would not own a trailer without a roof vent. Solid cover to keep the direct sun out. Even better with a reversible 12V fan.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Since heat rises, vents on the roof are important. Even more so during cold weather to help with condensation issues.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sunroofs are not my thing either... My wife's car has one. No issues with leaks, but seems like it's always either too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy, or too much exhaust/dust/smoke to use. We did open it the other evening during a twilight drive, and our 13-year-old says, "Hey, I forgot that was there!"

OTOH, I would not own a trailer without a roof vent. Solid cover to keep the direct sun out. Even better with a reversible 12V fan.
LOL same here with the sunroof, when I finally opened any of mine (keep in mind Michigan it's only a month or two out of the year) the sun would always come in at a funny angle and blind me even with sunglasses, I'd rather run the air and keep the humidy from killing me

now you are talking with the reverse fan, so it blows in and out.......do those come standard in most FB models such as eggcampers or the like, or do you have to install after?
Old 07-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Not standard, usually, but it's a commonly ordered option on many. If you find a used unit without one, it's typically not a big deal to add.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #11

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Thanks in advance!
Our LiL Snoozy has absolutely no openings in the roof. The AC and fantastic fan are in the rear wall. This was a major selling point for me as I kept hearing about leaks. I dislike sun roof's to!
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Not sure openings in sidewalls are any more or less susceptible to leaks than on the roof. The more important variables are correct and careful installation and periodic maintenance.

Bottom line is you have to have ventilation somewhere, somehow, and that means upkeep, or you will get leaks eventually.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
now you are talking with the reverse fan, so it blows in and out.......do those come standard in most FB models such as eggcampers or the like, or do you have to install after?[/QUOTE]

Look for the MaxxFan. it can be left open in the rain. The fan itself has a ring surrounding the blades so it is more efficient and less noisy.
ParkLiner uses it on their trailer.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Good to know, but I have not had the luck you have with sun roofs! I had T tops on the z28, leaked, and then my durango I had it fixed 2x since it I pushed at the back of it the whole thing lifted even when closed!! Nothing like driving during a rain storm while shoving a rag up there to stop leaks while driving cuz you are dressed up and need to stay dry. I also hated the wet butt getting in. I guess I just see that pretty clean slate and hate to see it cut if one could get by w/o it. I did have a window leak but it was my weather stripping not the seam itself easy fix lol
T-tops are certainly not sun roofs or "flip open air roofs". About 15% of T-tops don't leak when they leave the factory. I cut the roof on several of my cars as soon as they came home brand new, on the Model "A" I had to build a roof to cut the hole in! Sorry I can't account for the poor work of some OEMs.

When I ordered the Fantastic Fan in my Scamp it came with 3speeds and reversible. We have A/C, Fantastic Fan, and TV antenna, none of which leak. Roof vent fans and A/C installations are very mature technologies, so the risk of a leak is minuscule,while the benefits are widely known and far outweigh any risk.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
There is another roof vent or vents that are important. The small vents that are about 5" in diameter are for waste water tanks and allow for the black and grey water tanks to drain. I have one vent/skylight, 2 waste water vents and a refrigerator vent as well as the AC unit which all have to be monitored and maintained. Hard to avoid any of these.
On my trailer the graywater vents through the floor, the blackwater vents through the wall,as does the refrigerator, and the roof vent... as the name implies, was designed vent through the roof.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #16

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
My refrigerator is fairly large with a separate freezer so it is about 60 inches tall. A wall vent might be possible, but because the refrigerator is almost to the ceiling, leaving little room for anything else, a roof vent makes sense. Since hot air rises, the roof vent works very well. My refrigerator works awesome. A black tank vent as high on the trailer as possible and as far above nose level to avoid smell is my preference.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #17

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
I wish mine didn't have a roof vent. It was leaking for a while and they are such a pita to remove and reseal.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote