Roto molded coolers - thoughts - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #57

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I try hard not to be an advertisement, but clearly it's a popular thing. Apple stickers, Yeti stickers, all the different outdoor good store stickers (Cabellas etc). If you put a cool looking sticker in the box, people will stick it somewhere. I've certainly been guilty of it in the past.

Just look at the "rocket boxes" on peoples cars and trucks, plastered with stickers, most of them for one company or another. It's a way to show identity, even if not the best way. I personally prefer to keep them guessing
A large local retail chain often sells T Shirts with their name emblazoned across the front for $2 ea with a $2 rebate . They are the perfect T shirt for painting , lawn mowing , working on the car or waxing the trailer. If someone happens to see their mobile ad plastered across my chest , I could care less.
I am not a proud person but I am CHEAP.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #58

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
... As someone else suggested - you get what you pay for. ....
I think that it would be more precise to say "you get what you buy".

Old 03-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #59

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
No stickers on my truck but I do have a lot of them from the public lands we've visited plastered on my Pelican and Ozark Trail coolers. Will that get me in the Bubba Club? I'd put em on the Yeti as well but I'm not certain my brother has completely forgotten I borrowed it a few years back.

No doubt a lot of the Yeti and other premium brand owners have them for the 'cool' (pun intended) factor but it would be a mistake to paint all of them/us with the yuppie brush. We still live on the family farm and most of my folks along with many of my neighbors are involved with agriculture. Check our trucks out and you'll likely find a high dollar cooler in the bed; not for the sticker but because we'd rather buy something just one time when possible.

Much of our camping, even in the southeast, is done in bear country where food, most coolers and cooking gear must be secured inside the camper or in your vehicle if bear boxes aren't available (and they seldom are). If we're lucky enough to get a reasonably knowledgeable ranger or host, http://igbconline.org/wp-content/upl...ducts_List.pdf certified coolers can be left outside which saves a lot of effort and is not an insignificant benefit at my age.

I suppose if we put enough effort into it, we can justify any of our possessions at least to our personal satisfaction. Durability and being able to leave the cooler(s) in the bed of the truck no matter where I camp are enough for me. Any ice savings is just a freebie. I'm satisfied with my steel hinged Coleman Extremes as well; just a different tool for a different job.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #60

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I can only be so stubborn myself. Like you said, especially when it comes to "work" clothes.

The only place I typically use stickers is on my water bottles, so I can tell them apart from other people's I'm camping or working with.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #61

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I love park and roadside attraction stickers! Here are some cool vintage style Store | Ranger Doug's Enterprises
Old 03-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #62

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
ZachO

Good idea about filling in those "cup holders." Did you seal the spray foam with anything?

BEST
Kai
Old 03-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #63

Montana
Registry
I did not, but I should have. The cooler lived on the roof rack of my old camper when I wasn't using it, out in the sun, rain and wind for most of a couple summers, and the foam started deteriorating pretty fast. I think a cooler that didn't sit out in the elements as much would be fine, but it would still be a good idea to seal them over with something.

The next step would be to actually test two of the same coolers, one with the cupholders insulated, one with them left alone...and see if it actually makes any noticeable difference.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #64

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
...it would still be a good idea to seal them over with something. ...
Stickers!
Old 03-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #65

Montana
Registry
Old 03-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #66

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
I did not, but I should have. The cooler lived on the roof rack of my old camper when I wasn't using it, out in the sun, rain and wind for most of a couple summers, and the foam started deteriorating pretty fast. I think a cooler that didn't sit out in the elements as much would be fine, but it would still be a good idea to seal them over with something.

The next step would be to actually test two of the same coolers, one with the cupholders insulated, one with them left alone...and see if it actually makes any noticeable difference.
Sports fishing boats in the Keys all seem to have Yetis. It's hard to imagine more sun exposure than that.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #67

Washington
Registry
Stickers 8) XD There we go, perfect.

Our Coleman Xtreme doesn't have those cupholders in the top...but it has two recessed round areas inside the lid for two, 2-liter pop bottles to stand upright. We actually have used those, but never the cupholders in the lids of our other cheap coolers, which we didn't keep as they didn't keep.

The Xtreme doesn't actually say 7-day; I just looked. I remembered it was 7-day but don't see any 7-day anythings here or online, so I'm thinking it might well have been 5 day, which still would have been 2-3 days better than anything we'd had up to that point. Paul reminded me we DID have to buy ice 4 days into our 6-day jaunt last summer.

We use our cooler for all our cold food, which we put inside either fridge-cold or frozen, if it's freezable. It keeps pretty well. We usually get into it three times a day, each meal. Not otherwise. We drink air-temp water until we take out our 2-liters of frozen water toward the end of the trip. Then we enjoy the cold, usually when the food is nearly gone. We try to eat our cold foods first, then fall back on either food we just bought locally, or canned or dried foods.

BEST
Kai

Old 03-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #68

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Stickers!
No, no no. Gotta use fiberglass!

After reading all these comments, in WalMart today I had to stroll down the aisle with the coolers. The Xtreme did indeed say 5 days. And I looked at the Ozark Trail; the wire basket someone mentioned here sounded especially useful, but seeing it in person the basket is plainly not so useful... it's a lot smaller than I'd imagined.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #69

Washington
Registry
Mike Magee thanks for letting us know. Five days. Makes sense.

I wondered if those cupholders could be filled with fiberglass! Epoxy resin would stick...but the plastic on the cheap coolers might melt! I'd still want to put something over the patches. Marine primer and marine enamel...or stickers!

Wire basket not a bad idea! We took our cooler to a 2nd hand store and found a number of little plastic bins designed with open spaces all over (can't think of what they're called, but they're common) and mixed and matched until we had a nice number for organizing.

It worked so well camping we got more for our home freezer, which makes it a lot more useful than the jumble we used to have.

BEST
Kai
Old 03-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #70

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
"Stickers" are regional. I've never considered "vinyl" decals to be "stickers." To me (on the WET coast) "stickers" were colored printed paper on an adhesive label. I gave those to my daughter for her sticker book, when she was potty training

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote