Roto molded coolers - thoughts - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #99

Name: Scamper
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Kinda defeats the pupose of a 12v

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDunbar View Post
What if you supplemented with ice like a regular cooler? Would that help I wonder?
Chris

The whole intent of a 12vdc is to not have to use ice ...or am I missing something here

The reason for the Rtic (Roto Molded for Ol' Glenn) is to pre-charge with dry ice and then only use 5 lbs of ice in 5 days.

Everyone has their own ideas....

Old 03-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #100

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp- View Post
Chris

The whole intent of a 12vdc is to not have to use ice ...or am I missing something here

The reason for the Rtic (Roto Molded for Ol' Glenn) is to pre-charge with dry ice and then only use 5 lbs of ice in 5 days.

Everyone has their own ideas....
I'm thinking of it just in the way I would use it. I typically have a regular cooler in the truck. Was thinking a 12v cooler, plugged in and running while driving, but unpowered while parked with ice in it might be the best of both worlds.

Was just curious if it would increase the cooling power of the 12v cooler if it had ice in it. Cooling the inside to whatever temperature with ice PLUS the 38 below ambient.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #101

Name: Tomodachi
Wisconsin
Yes! Everybody has their own needs and styles of camping. NEVER put ice in a 12v cooler! I travel with my faithful companion - a Golden Retriever and never let my rig get hot enough for food to reach unsafe conditions, nor do I store food intolerant of warmer temps. We travel a lot (vs base camping) and prefer to support local food stores - most fresh meats, cheese (I'm from WI), and fresh veggies like carrots, etc. It works quite well for my style, NOT an extreme bushwacking situation - though I suspect I'm closer to the majority of mainstream campers. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #102

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaandPat View Post
Also on the Pelican has dual handles . Quarantined for life . Pat
Well that doesn't sound good Pat
Old 03-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #103

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
I'm betting Pat has speech-to-text, and the device thought "warranteed" sounded like "quarantined."

But if I'm wrong, maybe the Pelican should wear a skull and crossbones!

As for 12V coolers, better to go the whole distance and buy an efficient 12V fridge containing (what used to be known as) a Danfoss compressor, such as Engel or Truckfridge. The latter will cool to a set temperature, instead of merely x degrees below ambient, and are good enough to even freeze food (if you wanted to set it that low).

I used to think that an RV fridge was way more convenient than a cooler. Then I encountered the problems of the fridges I owned not cooling enough, the pilot light blowing out during travel, etc. I decided that a Truckfridge would someday be in my future, and if I ever travel extensively it still will be. But last summer I took a 2.5 week trip using just a cooler, and I was pleasantly surprised. Adding ice every 3 or 4 days just wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be, and the temp was far more constant and dependable than my last two RV refrigerators. I've decided that ammonia fridges just aren't worth the hassle, and I never want one again. Until I retire and have tons of free time to travel, a cooler will do just fine!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #104

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Those 12V coolers are only good for something like 38 degrees less than ambient. So, if it's 90 degrees outside, inside the cooler is 52 degrees ( or 10 degrees hotter than safe for foods ).
Read the manual or the specs prior to purchase.
A member of our senior citizens camping group bought a
12 VDC /120 VAC portable cooler to supplement the small refrigerator in his trailer . It worked well as long as ambient temperaures were in the low to mid 70's F. Once the temps got into the 80's and 90's the cooler was useless for storing perishable foods and couldn't even put a good chill on a can of beer.
When camping , the last thing we want to do is drive to town and go " SHOPPING "!! If the cooler actually worked under normal summer time conditions , then it may be worth buying but as it is NO.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #105

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Completion of Day 4 at 3 PM Wednesday, March 15

Still plenty of ice cubes in there. Pop bottles are all still cold, sitting on top of the ice. But water level is up to the top of the ice as of Wednesday afternoon.

Only 4 bottles of pop left. We drank another one. It was icy cold.

in Peanut, we open the cooler about 6 times a day, not once. It's opened to prepare each meal, and once again to put away after meals.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #106

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I used to think that an RV fridge was way more convenient than a cooler. Then I encountered the problems of the fridges I owned not cooling enough, the pilot light blowing out during travel, etc.
I boondock for longer periods, so I'm willing to put up with the fridge, but I completely agree. I have spent so much time, so much effort dealing with insufficient cooling in my RV fridges. I only have experience with two, but they were both the same. I lost whole shopping trips worth of food multiple times, and ended up living out of a cooler when I had a darn RV with a fridge in it! It annoyed me.

Some seem to work great, others seem to have issues. And I'm talking about functioning fridges that don't have anything obviously wrong with them.

My current fridge works great till the temps hit the 80s. I can just barely keep it at safe levels inside, in the 80s with a newly installed vent fan. But upper 80s to 90s and it just craps out.

If you have one of the finicky ones, it can take over a camping trip, unless you're good at quickly "letting go" at the first signs of failure, pulling out the cooler and pushing the fridge out of your mind.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #107

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Completion of Day 5 Thursday:

All bottles are now floating on melted water.
Still plenty of ice in there anyway, so this Coleman X-Treme does go 5 days at 68 F and still holds ice. We're going to continue, though I am heartily sick of it under the table shoving the chair around to the back of the table.

I think in camping life 5 days is asking too much of the Coleman Xtreme, but our other plastic coolers never did this well.

Definitely considering a better cooler, and this thread gives lots of possibilities!

BEST
Kai
Old 03-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #108

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I've been really happy with my Coleman Xtreme. It definitely ain't no Yeti (or insert other roto molder), but for what I paid, it's great.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #109

Name: Al
North Carolina
Kai, thanks for the time and effort you've put into this and for sharing with the group. Your results are about what we've experienced with our Xtremes as well although we can usually get a full five days with a combo of cube and block ice.

I think roto molded coolers are great but don't expect to get seven days of ice retention from one of them either if you don't exercise a bit of 'cooler discipline' (pre-chilling, block ice, limited opening, minimal air space, out of the sun, etc.).
Old 03-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #110

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
Missed that . It is the spell check that decides how it going to read . Met guaranteed for life . Pat
Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #111

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaandPat View Post
Missed that . It is the spell check that decides how it going to read . Met guaranteed for life . Pat
Huh?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #112

Name: Scamper
Wisconsin
Get the RTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post

I think in camping life 5 days is asking too much of the Coleman Xtreme, but our other plastic coolers never did this well.

Definitely considering a better cooler, and this thread gives lots of possibilities!

BEST
Kai
One cooler to get RTIC...tell them Scamper sent you