Roughing it.. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
What about using a pressure cooker and just shut off the heat when it starts to rattle ?

Bill K

Quote:
I hear you on the steam, Gina. When I heat water (for tea or whatnot), I usually
Raya
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

May not need much in the way of getting the chill out while staying in Florida, may need to have a fan of some sort to get the heat out.

I had also remembered the candle powdered heater with several clay pots, looks like if you had a few clay pots fastened with a bolt and washers as someone suggested it would really add to the heating power of a clay pot on the stove. I may try to put one of those together as well to help get rid of the chill of the mornings.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler
sounds great. we are in florida now and bring our boler down each year to use for blue grass festivals. we have a permanent place here but travel a lot with the boler. just returned from a week at yee haw junction (near okachobee). It was definetly cold last week but we were fine. we use the clay flower pot plus we have a propane lantern which when lit gives lots of heat.. some suggestions....hot water bottles...fly swatter.. small fan.. Our furnace does not work so we use an electric heater when we have electricity but the above works great when we do not. we also carry a small folding table which wal mart sells/ light weight around $20.00 and we leave the bed made up all the time but the table can fit inside if needed and we have 2 little stools( folding) with backs that come in handy. we also travel with a small flat screen tv and dvd player for those cold nights.. hot weather also has its problems but we have a screen room we can attach which is great for bug control but if not rig up a screen for the door and that will give you good ventillation. we have a check list but mostly it is just regular stuff but here is a few ideas
fire ant spray bug spray sunscreen hats for warm and cold...fleece tops flash lites and batteries...radio..cards insulated coffee/drink cups..
remember you usually can buy whatever you forget...we do not have a bathroom in ours but we found that a diaper pail works great. we found one with a locking lid and we empty it when we can which could be at a rest stop on the hgwy or at the campground washroom. mostly this is just used for night time but it works great.
we actually stayed in our boler for 5 months in ontario canada and had a ball.even had 2 grandkids spend 4 weeks with us...spend another summer touring newfoundland. the boler was perfect.. my advice is just do it.. enjoy
judie shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Thanks for the reply Judy. Couple of items there I hadn't thought about. Check back around the 10th of next month and let me know what the weather is like...
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Not really but we are making plans to take our Trillium to Florida in the middle of Feb for a week. Where we will be staying has washroom and shower facilities but no electricity. We haven't camped in over 10 years so I was wondering what items should I remember to take with me. I am going to take a new clay pot to put on the stove if I have to get rid of any "chill" at night but is there any type of checklist that anybody has made up. We haven't had the trailer out yet (only owned it for 2 months) so what specific items should I be packing into it.

Thanks in advance...

we bring our boler from toronto to florida each year. have a permanent place here but use the boler to go to blue grass festivals. just came back from a week in yee haw.. just do it. your biggest problem is time and the weather. really cannot get to florida and back in a week unless you spend all your time travelling.. some things we travel with are hot water bottles, fly swatter, kettle, propane lantern, clay pot .. learn as you go.. keep lists and remember wall mart is everywhere..have fun
Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Judy. Couple of items there I hadn't thought about. Check back around the 10th of next month and let me know what the weather is like...
ok got the hang of it now.. sorry about that. feb is usually great 80.. today was 80 and we were on the beach. campsites are not plentiful at campgrounds in the south of florida during feb and march but i am sure you will manage. there is always the wall mart parking lot

Tags
boondocking, dry camping