Route 66 memories - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Route 66 memories

Hi all,

We are currently hunkered down in Grants, NM with moderate to high cold winds. Hopefully these will subside Monday as we begin pulling east towards Michigan. While we want to get back in time to complete and mail 2018 taxes, a local report as of yesterday was our steep drive in still ice & snow covered and impassable. So will not "Bee-line" back.

As we have been following Route 66 off and on we did see an old drive-in theater in one small community. Long defunct.

Last night looking out the rear window of our Escape I noted the similarity to the old Drive-ins. Row after row of rigs of various descriptions all pointing forward and tethered to a post.

Like we are all in a drive-in however each has it's own unique screen inside.

It has been a very long winter escape...and our TV has logged 9,600+ miles since leaving home in Nov. We will likely exceed 11K miles for this trip over 4.5 months. Our Flex will have >40,000 miles on it after 2.5 years of use.

Not certain, but we may choose to relocate to Santa Fe, NM and abandon Mich. mid summer. Assuming our small (<1K sq ft) lake front house sells. A friend across the lake took this sunrise shot last week.

Cheers all,
Bat Dude
Old 03-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Nice report. Too bad you have to hurry back. NM in the winter sounds like a good idea.

We'll be leaving Northern Nevada for Guntersville AL in a few weeks and looking forward to getting back out there. Yellowstone and North Rim Grand Canyon on the way back. Meanwhile, doing little upgrades to the trailer and watching the weather gradually warm up. This has been quite a winter, but we don't have to put up with the deep freeze and long term snow you guys have.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:40 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Take your time, maybe stop in OKC or Tulsa and see some of the museums. Should have highs in the 50s and maybe 60s most of next week.

I think the Alabaster Caverns cg opens on April 2 and the caves are accessible again.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
bat dude

Made the similar trip in mid jan. from ga. to sumas to pick up our new 21' Escape. I did 7,000 mi in 10 days motivated by an ugly weather system which you are experiencing still. I just drove safely with the new camper as far as I could each day on and off old "66" when I could. My previous trip on the mother road was in 68. A mere shadow of itself compared to today. Sad. Travel safe. N.M. is something to think about. Good luck.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:18 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We were in Santa Fe once. Our son had a summer job at Los Alamos. Went to the museum at Los Alamos and saw replicas of the two atom bombs dropped on Japan, Fat Man and Little Boy. Interesting drive up the mountain to Los Alamos and back down. Locals said that at rush hour it is called the Espanola 500 because everyone is driving fast on the winding road. Espanola is a town at the bottom of the mountain. Didn't see much of Santa Fe but it looked interesting.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:43 PM   #6

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Eeeeeeeeeeeee

The forecast of "drizzle" for this afternoon here turned out to be heavy wet snow for about 3 hours, Big rigs were piling into the KOA here with heavy snow encrusted fronts just coming off I-40 AKA part of Route 66.

Well Mike tnx for the suggestion. As they say "Been there and done that" re:OKC and Tulsa.
Before we left the US to head to Central America for 25+ years of conservation work, I as a curator and based at the OKC Zoo for 5 years!
++++++++++++

Wow what a haul to pick up a new Escape. Ours did visit your state, Ga. late year add left in early Jan (Jekyll Isl.)

Now that Esme has an issue ...we may need to delay our departure tomorrow and remain an extra day here when the vet opens. This is an awesome KOA. When we extended 1 day on our stay we has an extra $35 discount for being a small rig!

For the moment this (below from RVPaky) is our planned return with several days at some stops, like Mo where we will have our Escapees mail forwarding service.

Depending on weather the later part of the return route may change.

We are now pseudo happy campers with the sun out and nasty white stuff is melting and almost gone.

Life on the road will resume normally once Esme's health issue is solved.

Bat Dude
Old 04-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #7

Name: Jane
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr 1972
Colorado
Registry
I just returned home after a 4week trip to New Mexico. I stayed at a charming park in Grants, I think on the south side of 40 from the KOA, called Lavaland RV Park & Elkins Brewery. Great beer, nIce clean bathrooms and showers $28.
janel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
New Mexico is a very cool place, lots to see, we dis route 66 from Chicago to Arizona last year. We stayed at the Grants, NM Walmart one night as we were passing through and it has to be the most friendly boondocking Walmart we have ever seen. They had bathroom trailers outside, security camera mobile units, and full time security driving around.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote