Royal Wedding - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Royal Wedding

My wife asked me to DVR the Royal wedding which was on starting at 3 AM. I do not understand why there is so much exitement about this but I started to wonder.... would they (Prince William & Catherine) enjoy camping in a 13 Scamp, Boler etc for a weekend.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #2

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
I do not understand why there is so much exitement about this but I started to wonder....
Nor me. Over here we have had a national holiday for the event, so I went out cycling, thinking the roads would be delightfully empty. Well, they were empty of cars but the cycle paths were absolutely full of male cyclists, middle-aged and upwards, presumably avoiding the hullabaloo like me.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Me neither, and my Grandmother on my Mothers side came straight off the boat from England.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I think part of it is the History and the other part is curiosity b/c it's not something you see every year. I rember seeing Princess Diana's wedding in 1981 but anybody too young or born after that has never seen anything like this. My girls were fascinated by it today. It really is unbelievable unless you see it for yourself. I told them dont get any ideas unless they marry a Prince, LOL.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
While not an event of major historical proporitions, I view the past week's reporting of the Royal Wedding a valuable "Mental Health' break for many people worldwide. All the news has been for way too long are reports of worldwide financial meltdowns, countries going bankrupt, wars, bombings, people looking for work, the Pacific Rim self destructing, screaming politicians, wild fires, floods, killer tornadoes. So thanks Kate and Wills for giving us some happy news if only for a short time.
As an aside, I was allowed to skip school the day of the Queen's Coronation nearly 60 years ago as it was something you don't get to see often. The way the old girl is going it may be a long while before another one. Scratchy film seen on a 12" TV screen in glorious B&W now you can down load the whole thing on iTunes.
Tomorrow back to the real world but today enjoy the time off.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It was a time for celebration. I think that's something most people can use in their lives more often. As I told my daughter, it is history, because some day those same two people will (probably) be a King and Queen. I wish them well.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
My wife asked me to DVR the Royal wedding which was on starting at 3 AM. I do not understand why there is so much exitement about this but I started to wonder.... would they (Prince William & Catherine) enjoy camping in a 13 Scamp, Boler etc for a weekend.
How do you camp in a 13 footer with butler and maids? Maybe with a dozen or so for all the cooks, cleaners and other retinue. That's why they have drafty old castles to wander around in and personal game parks to hunt on.
Did you see the nice little car the Prince was driving? It would'nt belittle itself to tug around a lowly Scamp.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #8

Indiana
That was his Daddy's car.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wish my Daddy had a car like that I'd look good cruisin' in an Aston Martin convertible!!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #10

Indiana
I know you're right!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:59 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
There once was a girl who said that she'd do anything for a fur coat, but when she got it, she couldn't button it.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #12

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Am I the ONLY person who did NOT watch a single second of the media coverage of Prince William's first wedding?

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #13

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Am I the ONLY person who did NOT watch a single second of the media coverage of Prince Charles's first wedding?
Well, looks like a possibility. OTOH. Most of the people who didn't watch any of it, wouldn't bother to open this thread either.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #14

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
OK...I didn't watch it...live nor in re-run. Didn't watch the news so didn't even catch snippets on said.

Howsumever, I was curious what y'all might have to say.

I remember watching Diana's wedding and thinking of all the good that could have been done with the money that was spent on that celebration by the Royal's and the British gooberment.

While I didn't have any interest myself, I have to say that HerseyBA made a valid point and thank you for a differing view. For a few the world was focused on something uplifting.

I wish them a happy life.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I think their royalty and the excitement it brings is cool... Something about them all that rings well to me...I like em and I miss our own sorta royalties...the Kennedy's. closest thing we had here
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
No servants

They just might enjoy a weekend in a small camper. According to the media, Kate and her family love the outdoors. That was the reason for the trees in the cathedral.

They live in a small secluded village, in a small house by the sea, and do not have any servants. Kate is supposed to be quite the cook and William takes out the trash.

Now the difference is... they choose to do those things and can have servants and a castle in a heart beat.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #17

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I like em and I miss our own sorta royalties...the Kennedy's. closest thing we had here
Yes, the Kennedys. It depends upon your definition of royalty. If you are talking about Joseph Kennedy, a wife abusing adulterious rum-runner and his in-laws who owned the political machine in Massechusets, Then there is his son JFK, the emotionally abusive adulterer, involved in political behind-the-scenes criminal activity, Marilyn Monroe and other movie stars in the White House pool, whose daddy bought the presidency for him. Yes, that is America's royalty.

I'd say the Kennedys compare vary favoribly with the monarchy. We may be on to something here.

BTW, it costs $60,000,000 to $70,000,000 to afford the royalty in England. And out of five children the queen had, three have been divorced at least once. Then there is the queen's sister...and uncle who married a divorced woman and gave up his crown.

We are not amused!

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #18

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
heck...i am just sad that i couldn't make it to the wedding...do you think that i was missed?
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Gezzz "five children"??? did HRH have another child that we don't know about?

As far as costs to having the royals goes one needs to consider the tourist dollars they bring into Britian - that in a year is not a small number either.

The nice thing about Will's marriage is it is one of the few if any of those who will one day sit on the throne that was not arranged! Yup you can bet that Charles and Dianna's was arranged. The other cute thing about the marriage is the fact the Queen gave them the title of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The last time that title was used was by Prince George who died in 1895 - he was known to have said "arranged marriages were doomed to failure." and choose to marry in contravention of the 1772 royal marriage act to the daughter of servant. I am amused

Will be happy to see Will become our King one day - sooner rather than later.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #20

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Am I the ONLY person who did NOT watch a single second of the media coverage of Prince William's first wedding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
Well, looks like a possibility. OTOH. Most of the people who didn't watch any of it, wouldn't bother to open this thread either.
I'm the other one who didn't watch any of it.

And my curiosity got the better of me for why this thread was still active, so I couldn't stop myself from opening it.