rPad2 Happenings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #1

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
rPad2 Happenings

Greg and I had been salivating for our first big road trip in our little UHaul. The big trip began last week, we left SC and drove to Iowa. The first 7 hours and 1 minute were in driving rain. Greg took the original UHaul rental manuel driving directions literally and went about 45 mph...I counted leaves on trees and waved at everyone that passed us mouthing "d#%n camper."

After the rain stopped and hubby decided indeed Paddy would continue to follow us, he did speed up a bit. In Kentucky at a rest stop, a young guy came running over and told us had just bought a CT like ours and wanted a tour. In Missouri at a quick stop, I came out of the restroom, couldn't find a sales person to buy my candy bar, and found Greg in the camper with the two clerks, they wanted to know where they could rent one. As we traveled north, we got lots of thumbs ups and smiles as folks drove past us. Except for some wet bedding from the rain, we had a 1300 mile great trip.

The best happened when we arrived in Storm Lake. My sister found a for sale ad for an 86 mint condition Uhaul like ours in Hastings, Mn. I called my best friend in Stillwater, Mn., about 40 miles from Hastings, told her it was one of those "meant to be's" and she needed to buy it so we could have a rally...tah day!....she bought it and they are in it this weekend. I had actually wanted to buy it so Greg and I could have his n her UHauls, but this is the next best thing.

So there is our story. We love being part of this fiberglassrv family.
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I love great stories and this one made me smile
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We normally run 65 to 70 on the interstates with ours. Still tracking down leaks! Ordered two new windows yesterday, will see how that works. Planning our winter trip south already. Looked at a Uhaul VT a few days ago but decided to pass on it, staying with the CT.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Glad you like your Uhaul. Glad you expanded our family.

I wish I had a dollar for every time we hear,"I didn't know Uhaul rented trailers." And occasionally they ask about renting. We put a Uhaul neon sign in our camper that has misled people into thinking we were advertising to rent our VT.

CindyL
CindyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob
We normally run 65 to 70 on the interstates with ours. Still tracking down leaks! Ordered two new windows yesterday, will see how that works. Planning our winter trip south already. Looked at a Uhaul VT a few days ago but decided to pass on it, staying with the CT.
Bob and Mary - we still hope to have a rally with you. Just do not know how long we will be in Iowa. About your windows, Nick at Lil Snoozy told us he would put new windows in ours. We might take him up on it, don't think we are as handy as you, Bob.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Boy, I think Nick could do big business if he did that.

CindyL
CindyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Bob, I'm curious as to what windows you plan to replace, and what you are replacing them with?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
My wife and I got the tour from Greg. You guys are parked a couple blocks from us! Lovely Uhaul! We especially like your "fire extinguisher" Hope you have an enjoyable stay in Storm Lake!
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #9

New York
We were at Sesqui state park in April, and there was a young lady there with a new Scamp that had the crank out side windows. I measured her side and rear windows and they were very close to the size of ours, like within a quarter inch. So I've taken a chance here and ordered one side window and one rear window from Scamp and hoping I can make them work. This is about a $400 gamble, and we'll see if it pays off. Jane, that last trip south was a trip of missed connections, we also planned to meet up with Diane in Virginia, but missed her too. We are heading back south end of November, maybe it will work out then. Bob
Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Bob, I'll be following your updates on those windows. I want to replace with jalousied windows if I can (that is what you meant by crank out?).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #11

New York
Pam, Yes that is what I meant for windows, but the Scamp side window is not a full jalousie, just the center opens. I'll let you know how it works out. A while back someone here installed those Scamp side windows and had to do some fiberglass work, but I never figured out just what he did. Fixing all the water leaks is the biggest issue on this trailer, and it seems to be a different place every time it rains!! Bob
Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
The windows can be ordered to any size. The fiberglass work might have to do with a difference in the radius corners.

There were some posts here or on the Uhaul site that talked about cleaning out your drip holes in the windows.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #13

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Friesen View Post
My wife and I got the tour from Greg. You guys are parked a couple blocks from us! Lovely Uhaul! We especially like your "fire extinguisher" Hope you have an enjoyable stay in Storm Lake!
Hey Evan.. Come on back up Shoreway, we would like to see your Boler!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #14

New York
Roy; in my research I found that special ordered windows are very expensive, about twice what I paid for the Scamp windows. I would think that the Uhauls would have used a standard production window, but as yet have not determined their original manufacturer.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #15

I hear you Bob.
One has to also consider the cost of modifying the FG body as well.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #16

South Carolina
Bought one of the LG portable air conditioner units. Took out the furnace and Greg successfully connected the exhaust tube to the existing furnace exhaust hole. But that is as far as success traveled us. After connecting air unit to the 30 amp, turned it on with great expectations....blah blah blah...temp said 95, it ran quietly, but pumped semi cool air for 1/2 minute then started blowing hot air. Better than a furnace. Tried everything, even had a electrician parked next to us. Greg is on his way to Home Depot with it now...hoping it was just a lemon.

Oh, trying to retro Paddy up a bit, will try to post pics of new curtains, bedding, pillows, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2471861781.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	49687
Attached Thumbnails
image-1428187132.jpg   image-1799606807.jpg  

image-738435246.jpg   image-192825891.jpg  

Old 08-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #17

What is the rating on that fire extinguisher ... is there a code for mood altering substances?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
"In case of fire" open outside and watch it burn!!-I like that adaptation.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #19

Not sure that applies Jim, the label reads "Happy Camper". Maybe it is meant for the campfire only.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We were at Sesqui state park in April, and there was a young lady there with a new Scamp that had the crank out side windows. I measured her side and rear windows and they were very close to the size of ours, like within a quarter inch. So I've taken a chance here and ordered one side window and one rear window from Scamp and hoping I can make them work. This is about a $400 gamble, and we'll see if it pays off. Jane, that last trip south was a trip of missed connections, we also planned to meet up with Diane in Virginia, but missed her too. We are heading back south end of November, maybe it will work out then. Bob
I believe Scamp is using Hehr 8700 series jalousie windows. If so, you are going to like them. We have them in our Trillium.

http://www.hehrintl.com/pdf/8700SERIES.pdf

These use a clamping ring that is sized for the wall thickness so I would expect some improvising will occur. Trillium uses plywood. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote