Ruby Mountains/Lamoile Canyon - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ruby Mountains/Lamoile Canyon

We've made it to Lamoille Canyon though we're actually staying in a tiny campground between Wells and Elko. Today we drove up into the canyon just to check the location of the mountain. Amazingly we've met a number of people who have told us how great the canyon would be. They were correct. Ginny's standing on the road on the way into the campground

We'll be providing more pictures as we spend the pre wedding week in the area. Actually the owners of this little campground, called Welcome Station are wonderful providing us with more things to do than we'll have time to do, plus it's also a Passport park. We had planned to stay in this park 2 days and have extended it to 9.
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome campground.jpg   Lamoille, Mts.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #2

Florida
The Locals know.......

We're in this little campground and around the nightly campfire the owner mentioned "Hole in the Mountain". He says there's a real high peak with a circular hole straight thru it.

Leave Wells going south on 93 and taake your first left to Cloverdale, go pass the brew pub (why there's a brew pub on this road is beyond me, we'll have to figure that out as well) until you get to the cemetary, drive right upto the gat and look up at the mountain peak.

We did this today and saw the hole, actually you can see blue sky on the otherside. The peak is over 11,000 feet so my camera did not do it justice but the well watered cemetery was quite impressive in an area without a gas station, post office or store. There is a long, steep hiking trail to the top but was not reccommended for people who just turned 70, at least not without serious transplants.

The campground threw a cookout for the local senior center today which felt really good so we spent a good part of the day helping out. I certainly recognized that I could be on the other side of the serving line. These campground owners are special people and do this monthly during the summer.

We have a significant list of things to do in the area. Unfortunately for some reason I am unable to attach the picture of the mountain. I'll try again later.

The reality is there's so much to do and see everywhere.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Not all 70 year olds are equal. My brother turned 71 this year, and 2 summers ago he hiked in the Himalayas starting at a 7000' elevation base camp and ending at around 14,000'. He was the oldest one in the group of hikers, but he led the pack (the guides had to travel at the pace of the slowest member, or I'm sure they could have kept up). That brother of mine amazes me.

If you get a chance and are so inclined, I'd like to recommend Great Adventure Harvest Church in Elko, pastored by my old friends John and Kim Prewitt. Tell them Sherry and Mike Galazin from Broken Arrow said to say "hi". We haven't seen them since they moved out there, but they are really nice people.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Florida
Mike,

I know you're correct about some 70 year olds.... unfortunately I'm not one of them and I know Ginny's meniscus would never make it to 11,000 ft, though I'm glad that others can do it.

Unfortunately we probably were not smart enough when we were younger with respect to our health, though we're really not complaining because the last 11 years has been good to us and our health.

Interestingly the hole in that rock is apparantly large enough to drive a semi thru it.

Unfortunately for some reason I am not able to add pictures to my posts... hope to straighten it out soon.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #5

Name: Gws358@gmail.com
Trailer: Big Foot
Virginia
Norm, your posts are very enjoyable to read....both informative and entertaining. Thanks!.....please keep those "cards & letters" and photos coming!

"You're not lost if you don't care where you are!"
Gary S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Norm, I doubt that I could do that climb, either... and I'm a reasonably healthy 54! Yes, my brother is an exceptionally fit person.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #7

Florida
Driving About....

One of the nice aspects of our travels is the lack of pace; we often take time to just drive about to feel the area. Live is short, yet by observing the area, driving these farm roads, one gets a feeling for lives unlived by me. I hardly ever regret the past, but it's nice to see what could have been. o get a feel for other's lives.

The area around the Ruby Mts is largely farm and cattle country, a true western field with skies that seem to go on forever only interrupted by mountains everywhere. Though the area is very dry the mountains seem to provide near endless springs and water sources that allow heavy irrigation.

The following 2 pictures are near the Hole in the Mt. They were both taken near a well manacured and watered cemetery. This is not in a city but on little Rt 229 south of Wells.

If you double click the picture you can just make out the hole to left of the tallest tree just below the tall peak. Ginny noticed it first because she could see blue sky on the otherside. We have tried to spy the hole from the other side without success yet.

Most of my pictures are taken with my blackberry, handy but no telephoto or the like.
Attached Thumbnails
Countryside wells.jpg   HoleNew.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #8

Florida
Yesterday's peaks, today's destination

We drove a good portion of the way to the peaks we spied yesterday.

We're located near Wells, NV staying in Welcome Station just west of Wells. The owners of the campground suggested we take a ride UP to Angel Lake, a 14 mile ride from Wells.

The road to the lake was 14 miles long and averaged a 4% grade for the entire distance, portions were at least 10% with plenty of switch-backs. The road was narrow and of course without guard rails. Wells is at about 5600 feet, the lake is about 8500 feet and yesterday's Hole in the Mountain was at about 11,000.

It was a serious climb with attention required but well worth the ride.

There are two forest service campgrounds on the road. The first is on Angel Creek and is a relatively easy tow. The second is at the lake and I would say the steepness makes it a hard but difficult tow with our little trailers. The campground at the top is beautiful with the lake a two minute walk and views for propably a 100 miles to the east.

As well it's a possible hike to the tops of the peaks from here.

The Lake is small and cold. Three fisherman were on the lake today. It is one of those unbelievably beautiful spots in a plac e where you might not expect it.

For you runners, they have a half marathon beginning at Wells, definitely a rugged run.

(It happened again. The attachment manager is not working, telling me for the second time this week, first time ever that I'm missing a security token. No idea what this means except I can't post pictures of this little lake nestled just below mountain peaks.)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #9

Florida
Angel Lake

This is the picture I formerly tried to up load of Angel Lake. If you're in the area of Wells/Elko, Neveda it's well worth the effort. If you like mountain camping there is a nice campground beside the lake with plenty of hiking trails. The campground is located at 8500 feet and really gives you the opportunity to 'shortcut' climb to some of the local peaks.

Elko is an interesting community and county. Elko is one of the largest counties in the country and if Elko county were a country it would be the fourth largest country in the world in terms of gold production. Tours of the one of the largest mines are available monthly.
Attached Thumbnails
ang2.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #10

Name: Jo
Trailer: have ordered Casita SD 17
Massachusetts
Norm & Ginny,

What beautiful photos!!! It really sounds like a wonderful trip you are on. Thanks for sharing with us -- it helps us to learn about parts of the country we aren't at all familiar with and gives us ideas for future trips!