Rude camping neighbors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
From the USFS website FAQs

Quote:
Q. Can you drink alcohol on the national forest while camping?
A. The use of alcohol is not prohibited on national forest lands except at specific sites at which there is a local ordinance or order which prohibits it. There are signs at these locations that make it clear drinking alcoholic beverages is prohibited. In Georgia, it is illegal to possess alcoholic beverages if you are under 21 years of age. The law also prohibits possession of open containers of alcoholic beverages while driving a motor vehicle. Laws that deal with driving under the influence of alcohol, drunk and disruptive behavior, and similar laws and regulations apply on national forests.
Taken from a Georgia District FS website.

Here

Beer coolers in state and FS parks are as common as tents. Not once have I ever seen a an official take it away or ban it.

I even induldge in one myself on occasion. Not often tho, fortunately, drinking is the one adult vice I never really picked up on as a frequent activity.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I don't know anything specific about U.S. federal rules or any of the states, but in at least some provinces alcohol consumption at a campsite is handled the same way it would be in your home or a hotel room - it is your (temporary) residence, and therefore allowed under the same rules (ages, etc) as it would be at home. Just as people are not free to wander the streets of their neighborhoods with alcoholic drinks in hand, it seems reasonable to assume that they would not be free to roam the entire campground drinking.

Bob's story raises the issue of associated groups. The minority of rowdy idiots like this give military organizations a bad reputation, and the same problem occurs for universities and other schools, as well as other types of clubs and organizations. The big difference might be that a military or paramilitary organization is likely to be willing and able to protect its reputation by enforcing discipline, even regarding off-duty behaviour; perhaps it could still be worth pursuing for other identifiable organizations.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #17

West Coast USA
Registry
THIS group actually had a noise complaint lodged against us at the Oregon Gathering last year.

We are an unruly bunch, I tell ya.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Gina,
Everyone said you had a good time !!
Guess drinking is not taboo in Oregon, Bullards Beach being a State park. Are you going in 07? See you there. Don
Old 11-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #19

West Coast USA
Registry
That was not booze, it was medicine!

We were horrible. .... People walking, people talking, rampant wheelchair races.... sheez!

Yes, I am going in 07, this time with a trailer. I was going to bring a larger PA system for Nancy so the shouting is curtailed, but after the complaints about the small one there last year, I think it will stay at home.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
A tad disapointed to see what Gina D. posted under this thread. I know there was some jokeing implied, but it sure says to me the Oregan Gathering was questionable on behavior for other camping neighbors.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #21

West Coast USA
Registry
Yes, I was joking.

But it does point out that comfort levels of different campers are very different.

The complaint we got was because we were using a small PA to make announcements during daylight hours. To US, it seemed innocent enough, but appearantly, it bothered others, so we were asked to, and did stop using it.

The Oregon Gathering folks are always well behaved and no one got drunk, misbehaved or unruly. There were no dog problems, no loud music or wild parties.

You have to live with normal usage noise and activety in a campground. It's a shared resource.

Determining what is "normal" is sometimes subjective, which was my point.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:
Yes, I was joking.

But it does point out that comfort levels of different campers are very different.

The complaint we got was because we were using a small PA to make announcements during daylight hours. To US, it seemed innocent enough, but appearantly, it bothered others, so we were asked to, and did stop using it.

The Oregon Gathering folks are always well behaved and no one got drunk, misbehaved or unruly. There were no dog problems, no loud music or wild parties.

You have to live with normal usage noise and activety in a campground. It's a shared resource.

Determining what is "normal" is sometimes subjective, which was my point.
Thank you Gina for letting me know what you meant. I honestly did not "get it", which is my bad. You are very correct on different campers have many tolerance levels. We all just have to be the best camper neighbors we can and fix it, if it bothers someone else.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #23

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Gina,
I did not know that someone there made a complaint. I thought everyone in section A was with the rally, so who made a complaint, moreover, why? We were in section B and never heard anything at all resembling 'loud.' Looks like someone maybe just walking by? I can understand hours designated for 'quiet time', but during broad daylight? Maybe someone slipped the ranger a few bucks for that. Geez.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #24

West Coast USA
Registry
I am not sure WHO did it, Nancy was the recipient of the complaint since she was in charge. It may have been the park personnel themselves. I vaguely remember something about permits.

I wasn't my PA, so I was not involved with the set up and permit arrangements etc.

I do know for sure that poor Nancy had to use her voice a lot, to a large crowd.

I guess you would have to put yourself in the group that ISN'T in the group to see the other viewpoint.

Certainly, loud drunken uncontrolled parties are unacceptable to almost everyone. But Scouting Groups, Church Groups, School Groups and Trailer Groups etc happen. If you happen to be in a campground where that is the majority, you sometimes have to tolerate a little more, within reason. (I had a scouting group next to me last weekend, they seemed OK, but there were LOTS of them)

The Gathering is a HUGE group now, and I personally think the small PA is a necessity. But I can also see how the few others there not with the group might have viewed it as NOT.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
I don't know anything specific about U.S. federal rules or any of the states, but in at least some provinces [b]alcohol consumption at a campsite is handled the same way it would be in your home or a hotel room - it is your (temporary) residence, and therefore allowed under the same rules (ages, etc) as it would be at home. Just as people are not free to wander the streets of their neighborhoods with alcoholic drinks in hand, it seems reasonable to assume that they would not be free to roam the entire campground drinking.
I have seen the above rules in provincial parks and, I think, in some US parks. To me it seems like a sensible approach to avoid problems cause by drinking in public places.

In the US federal rules, it says; "Alcoholic beverages and controlled substances. (a) Alcoholic beverages. (1) The use and possession of alcoholic beverages within park areas is allowed in accordance with the provisions of this section." The section goes on with a list of circumstances where alcoholic beverages may be prohibited. Things like underage drinking, public drunkeness, endangerment, damage to park property, etc.

At the Oregon Gathering, I remember that complaint about the PA system. I believe, as Gina says, it came from one of the park personnel and not from other campers.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My experience is that alcohol is allowed on federal lands, but usually in accordance with the surrounding state laws regarding age, open containers, etc. State parks vary by state; some allow it, and some ban it.

I have found in my travels that the Party Hearty People with noisy machines and people usually tend to congregate near water, be it lake or tiny stream, so a site away from the water is usually quieter, as is a site near the camp host.

Many parks require a permit for using a PA system.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:52 PM   #27

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
If you've been any of those rude campers, by all means, be brave and share your story as well.
There was more than one incident at the Oregon Gathering last year. I was there when several of us were asked by park staff to disperse one night and extinguish the campfire at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I'm not sure how they manage it, but I believe one group takes over Champoeg State Park for a week-end. I haven't spent the night with them, but from what I saw earlier and stories later, they do a pretty good job of partying. I don't think there's anybody in the park except that group, and they spend a good part on day clearing ivy out the trees. Volunteer work with the park benifiting.

Generally coastal Oregon State Parks are very heavily patrolled and controlled.