Rude camping neighbors - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-13-2006, 09:27 AM   #29

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
There was more than one incident at the Oregon Gathering last year. I was there when several of us were asked by park staff to disperse one night and extinguish the campfire at 10:00 PM.
At Bullard's when they say Quiet Time is 10pm-7am...they mean it. This group was merely sitting around the campfire QUIETLY talking. The campfire was in the large gathering area, completely surrounded by other Oregon Gathering participants and a good 100 feet from the road. In fact, walking down the road, you couldn't even hear the people.

But rules are rules.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
I guess there are several ideas at work here. When the rules say "quiet time" does that literally mean there is no talking or noise whatsoever, or merely no talking that could be heard outside of your immediate campground, like, say, shouting to the person getting into the car not to forget to lock it? Also, how is "rude" defined? Unexpected is one thing, misbehaviour is another.

What makes camping such an adventure is being confronted with the unexpected. That is obviously within limits, though. I think it would be quite humorous to find myself surrounded by little girl scouts, but then again, I have a daughter that would be the same age so there's a hook on me with that one.

Being a little on the perfectionistic personality side, I find that camping out tends to soften up those expectations of mine. One just never knows....

Gina, thanks for clearing up the alcohol issue for me.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:14 AM   #31

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Also, how is "rude" defined?
Aha! Therin lies the essence of this issue.
Boy, THAT can be a can of worms...
Old 11-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #32

Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I have had 2 really bad nights with terrible neighbors.
Hi Bob,
If this was in the late 70s, early 80s, then your bad neighbors could have been me. We drydocked our ice breaker in Sault St. Marie every fall. Since the crew couldn't live on the boat during the work, we camped. Nothing worse than a bunch of 20 years old ice breaking crew camping next door. Neverless, I did have a lot of fun.....
Old 11-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #33

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Also, how is "rude" defined?
That one's easy... Rude is defined as anything that would offend Miss Manners.

Roger
Old 11-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #34

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
Our familly rents the whole group camp at a state park every year, because some are noisy, go for midnight walks, stay up until 4 am at the campfire, etc. It works for us because we are there all by ourselves. We hate the crowds so avoid the main campground so we can do as we please.
My suggestion (and I assume you have already talked about this) is that you Oregon campers look for a campground that you can rent all by yourselves for the time you are there, use your PA system, and have yourselves a blast. There is nothing better than having the place all to yourselves. We have been doing it for years. Love it!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #35

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
That would be nice, but unworkable for this gathering.

At over six months from lift off, there are 87 glass reserved sites in a 180 some odd site park. It will get worse as time goes by.

A loop is full, B loop is close to it, and C loop has some scattered glass folks in it.

We really do pretty much take over the park by pre planning. Our group activities happen in A loop, which is nearly 100% glass.

I thought last year was huge, this year is looking like it will be even bigger.

So, to make a long story short, it would be hard to accomidate us in a standard group camp and still give folks the hook ups they need. Most private parks couldn't hold 1/4 of us.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:52 PM   #36

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I agree with Gina. I was trying to think of anyplace around that could accomodate the number of trailers involved. There's one or two but no hookups.

I fix those rude campers that want to make noise all night. I get up early and start my dutch oven breakfast. Italian sausage, gravey, eggs, cheese and biscuits. Imagine the smell of that cooking at 6:30am.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #37

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
Quote:
Hi Bob,
If this was in the late 70s, early 80s, then your bad neighbors could have been me. We drydocked our ice breaker in Sault St. Marie every fall. Since the crew couldn't live on the boat during the work, we camped. Nothing worse than a bunch of 20 years old ice breaking crew camping next door. Neverless, I did have a lot of fun.....
Aha! Yes, a brave soul who admits to being on the other side of this issue.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:20 AM   #38

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
I fix those rude campers that want to make noise all night. I get up early and start my dutch oven breakfast. Italian sausage, gravey, eggs, cheese and biscuits. Imagine the smell of that cooking at 6:30am.
And, oh my gosh, is Byron's DO breakfast ever good!!!

It would be wonderful to find a park for the Oregon Gathering where we could have the campground all to ourselves. But as Gina said, I don't think there's a place big enough for us and Bullard's Beach is a beautiful campground in a great location.

Last year the park staff complained to us about lots of things. One day they asked us to stop hammering tacks into pickets for campsite signs. This was in the middle of the afternoon.

Some of the park hosts even complained to one of our group that we were "taking all the sites so others couldn't get in."

I'm hoping there is a change in park management next year because we've never had problems before.

Nancy
Old 11-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #39

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
The key to noise complaint issues is "loud and unreasonable noise". It is unreasonable to expect a "Walden" experience in a KOA. It just isn't going to happen. As a matter of fact, unless you're in some REALLY remote location, it won't happen in most state or county parks either. There are few places during the "on" season you can find with few people. Lots of people tend to make lots of noise, even if they're just "little" noises like yelling across the campsite at someone not to lock the car. That has to be expected and is NOT unreasonable.

Singing, "group laughing" around the campfire, dancing, yelling, brawling, and loud stereos after "quiet time" on the other hand, IS unreasonable and can and should be dealt with by rangers, campground hosts, or law enforcement as necessary.

Roger
Old 11-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #40

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:
And, oh my gosh, is Byron's DO breakfast ever good!!!

It would be wonderful to find a park for the Oregon Gathering where we could have the campground all to ourselves. But as Gina said, I don't think there's a place big enough for us and Bullard's Beach is a beautiful campground in a great location.

[b]Last year the park staff complained to us about lots of things. One day they asked us to stop hammering tacks into pickets for campsite signs. This was in the middle of the afternoon.

Some of the park hosts even complained to one of our group that we were "taking all the sites so others couldn't get in."

I'm hoping there is a change in park management next year because we've never had problems before.

Nancy
Sounds to me like they are sending you a message,
Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #41

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
We camped in early spring at a local state park. It was us, and a group partying across the campground from us.

As darkness fell, they set up a Karaoke machine, suitable for a large wedding and started belting out such Karaoke classics as "Paradies by the Dashboard Lights" (male / female duet of course).

To add to our enjoyment as spectators, the brought out their 5 bazillion candle power spotlight to both illuminate the performers and make sure we had enough light at our campsite.

We just ignored them and went to bed with a fan on to block any outside noise. We all slept like babies.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #42

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
This is in reply to what Nancy posted about park management. A few years ago while visiting our son who lives in Bend, we took a drive up to see Smith Rock, parked our car, walked a couple hundred feet to a vantage point to look at the spectacular rock formation below. Time elapsed was about ten minutes. We returned to our car, noticed a tag on the windshield informing us that we had to pay a fee at the park host facility, about 6 dollars if I remember right. We asked the park host/ranger why we were charged this as we were there to merely look at the view, then leave. He explained that was to pay for maintaining the trail. Well, ok, we didn't use the trail we told him. No matter, he said, we would have to pay the fee or be fined $60.00.

I can understand paying for the priviledge of using a trail, but to just look at the view? I cannot understand why anyone would call someone on the carpet for nailing a few signs together either. Taking all the sites so others could not use them?? What sort of policy is this?