Rude camping neighbors - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #41

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
We camped in early spring at a local state park. It was us, and a group partying across the campground from us.

As darkness fell, they set up a Karaoke machine, suitable for a large wedding and started belting out such Karaoke classics as "Paradies by the Dashboard Lights" (male / female duet of course).

To add to our enjoyment as spectators, the brought out their 5 bazillion candle power spotlight to both illuminate the performers and make sure we had enough light at our campsite.

We just ignored them and went to bed with a fan on to block any outside noise. We all slept like babies.
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #42

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
This is in reply to what Nancy posted about park management. A few years ago while visiting our son who lives in Bend, we took a drive up to see Smith Rock, parked our car, walked a couple hundred feet to a vantage point to look at the spectacular rock formation below. Time elapsed was about ten minutes. We returned to our car, noticed a tag on the windshield informing us that we had to pay a fee at the park host facility, about 6 dollars if I remember right. We asked the park host/ranger why we were charged this as we were there to merely look at the view, then leave. He explained that was to pay for maintaining the trail. Well, ok, we didn't use the trail we told him. No matter, he said, we would have to pay the fee or be fined $60.00.

I can understand paying for the priviledge of using a trail, but to just look at the view? I cannot understand why anyone would call someone on the carpet for nailing a few signs together either. Taking all the sites so others could not use them?? What sort of policy is this?
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:57 PM   #43

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
This is in reply to what Nancy posted about park management. A few years ago while visiting our son who lives in Bend, we took a drive up to see Smith Rock, parked our car, walked a couple hundred feet to a vantage point to look at the spectacular rock formation below. Time elapsed was about ten minutes. We returned to our car, noticed a tag on the windshield informing us that we had to pay a fee at the park host facility, about 6 dollars if I remember right.
Oregon State Parks day use fee is $3.00.

Quote:
We asked the park host/ranger why we were charged this as we were there to merely look at the view, then leave. He explained that was to pay for maintaining the trail. Well, ok, we didn't use the trail we told him. No matter, he said, we would have to pay the fee or be fined $60.00.

I can understand paying for the priviledge of using a trail, but to just look at the view?
I'm not fond of the day use fees but I can understand enforcement. It's no different than enforcing parking meter fees.

Quote:
Taking all the sites so others could not use them?? What sort of policy is this?
I don't believe that this an Oregon State Parks policy. It's just an employee that wants something to grumble about.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #44

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
FYI,
There are other places in Oregon that can handle a large number of RVs. An example of this is here.

I believe that the Fair Grounds at Tygh Valley could also handle a group like this.

Another thing that could be done is to contact the Oregon State Parks director and see what he might say. His name is Tim Wood.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #45

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Byron, thanx for the input. Yes, you are right, the fee is a nominal $3.00. It does still gall me that I have to pay a fee to someone for the privilege of viewing what God created.
Grand Canyon is a big attraction here and there are indeed entry fees. However viewing fees are unheard of. The painted desert in northern Arizona can be seen by anyone passing through - no charge to look. Guess I am spoiled, what with all the freebies.
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #46

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
A few years ago while visiting our son who lives in Bend, we took a drive up to see Smith Rock, parked our car, walked a couple hundred feet to a vantage point to look at the spectacular rock formation below. Time elapsed was about ten minutes. We returned to our car, noticed a tag on the windshield informing us that we had to pay a fee at the park host facility...
A day use fee is one thing, a fee to visit a park for 15 minutes or so is quite another. Many California State Parks also charge a day use fee, however, they also allow vehicles to enter for no charge if the visit will be less than 20 minutes. This is a policy that I think the Oregon State Parks should adopt. I'm sorry that your experience at an Oregon State Park turned into an unpleasant experience.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #47

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
Please, more juicy stories about rude campers. Okay, okay, ..... Pretty Please?
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 AM   #48

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
This is just a great thread. I like to camp where it's nice and quiet. This has given me exactly the idea about how to do it in a busy campground! All I have to do is to take the last remaining site, fire up my 5kw industrial-strength Briggs and Stratton powered generator, make a huge bonfire, break out the "outdoor" fridge full of beer, crank up my outdoor speakers to "urban renewal" levels, and for the first 24 hours be as loud, obnoxious, and loutish as possible which will drive out all of the OTHER campers who make noises. Then I'll have the campground all to myself and be able to enjoy nature quietly as God intended it to be!

So, tell me... where is YOUR favorite campground so I can come visit and see it for myself!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:56 AM   #49

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Our shake down cruise with "Tours Light" was to Arrowhead Provincial Park in Huntsville Ontario Canada...WOW!!! 2500 acres of pure bliss Each camp site was so huge and carved out of the trees that you could hardly see your neighbours let alone hear them...Two lakes, hiking/riding trails... and peace and Quiet...They even have a radio free zone thats even quieter!!!Every one I talk to thats been there says its their fav. spot...Wish I had a Digi. cam. to post pics. Its about 3 hrs. north of Toronto so you have to reserve ahead Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. I forgot they do have "Wild Life"though
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #50

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Alf S
we LOVE LOVE LOVE Arrowhead we go every chance we get better than Killbear---(do you pick a good beach over private sites? private wins with us!!!)
started there years ago in tents now we take our" baby"
we are just a couple of hours away off hwy 12
we were just there the end of Sept. in a huge storm trees down & everything
& yes the sites are very prviate could only see the top of our daughters(huge 27') trailer & could not hear the 3 kids
we seen deer!!!!!!
it's beautiful in the summer waterfall ,decent beaches, canoeing ,hiking
& Huntsville is soooo close if you need anything!!!!

can I ask what "Tours Light " is
Ann
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:
can I ask what "Tours Light " is
Hi: you sure can...Its a play on words...The name of our Boler..."Tours light" "The Silver Billet"...Our son was working @Deerhurst Resort and even @ employee disc. mega $$$ so we hauled the 5 hrs. up to Huntsville and stayed fri. sat. sun. in Arrowhead...What a treat Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #52

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
OK, that does it. I'm going to dust off my plans for a roof-mounted, remote controlled trebuchet for campground discipline. The solar panel will have to wait.
I'm thinking large water balloons filled with an ammonia mixture.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #53

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
I'm thinking large water balloons filled with an ammonia mixture.

I love it!

I am soooooo....bad. I try to behave most of the time but when the ladies are out walking their precious tiny "fluff balls" on a fully extended 16 foot lead, I sit with my kitty at my side. With the fully extended lead they wander over to pee, and or, poop or do the "yap yap" bark thing. One even ran and put it'd paws on my leg.

Big mistake! Shelia the "razor back hog" cat goes into full attack mode from her viewing point. She pulls at her 6 foot lead with her spots gleaming and her "hog ridge of black hair" standing up a good 3 inches on her back. She is a true Wild Thing, hybrid of the Asian Leporad four times removed.

The scoop up of the fluff ball is on. One lady asked me, "What is wrong with that cat?' I repled, "She wants to eat that dog."

Good for many laughs from my intertained neighbors and lots of conversation. We all kill ourselves laughing

PS... I love doggies too, just not too fond of some dipsy doggie moms. I would never let Shelia hurt a pup.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #54

Registry
Hi: A 16' lead is no good if my "Karma" runs over your "Dogma" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #55

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have gotten dog owners that don't follow the rules thrown out of parks by simply reporting them to the host.

Never had an arguement.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:45 AM   #56

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Rude camper-neighbours:

We were at Kloyia Bay, the wonderful spot where the reversing fresh-water falls meet the Pacific on an inland inlet. You can canoe in placid waters among seals, it is tres cool, eh.

The wolves had just began to howl.... finally dark at 10 pm in early summer.

"Listen, son, you hear that?"

Then a truck pulls up and starts a HUGE bonfire with construction materials (lots of rusty nails and broken beer bottles the next morning) and they start playing their music really loudly -- not rock'n'roll, not classic blues, not even hard-chargin' heavy metal -- but the Theme song from "Friends."

"L" is for Losers!

Then the small girl-child starts whining she's cold, she's tired (it was getting chilly, it was getting late) and her mom tells her to stretch out int he cab of the truck and go to sleep. Hello! Campers 100 yards away can't hear themselves think, wolves 1000 yards away quit talking, too! ( And dang-nabbit, they scared our cat! I found her under the wooden bridge just up the road a bit the next morning. Sure, she was having a fine time, watching the hummingbirds, and not wanting to leave her spot, but still.)

I was very annoyed and disappointed. Those people were reacting to being in nature by being scary but mostly they were being scared.

This happened a while back. Since then I have been thinking, okay, that is one way to be: it is not a Park or a Real Campground, it is just a place. And I sure appreciate how my little family likes to be in that place, or in any place, considering the alternatives.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #57

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
A good 15 years or more ago I & several other ladies had a pack of Girl Guides in group cammping at a Prov.Park when 2 of the girls --1 of them my oldest---came to use & said there was a man in the ladies shower soooo 2 leaders troop off to the showers==oh yha there was a man there but he was no alone --boy were their faces red--(ours too) we follow them to their campsite were there were many people both adult & kids -- then we reported to office -- ranger got back to us that this was not going to be happening again! we asumed they got kicked out

the only other thing that has happent to us,-- was before radio free sites when the kids were small & we camped with a tent-- some people have no brains -or no manners!!!
I belive it was Six Mile Prov.Park & the song was "Take this Job & Shove it" ( how long ago was that?)

we are trying this winter to find some maps of Crownland were we can camp come summer
even the MNR is not sure were(or how) to get the maps!
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #58

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
We were camping near Mantua, Utah in the Box Elder Campground. A Mormon youth group settled into the campground and they were so noisy that we decided to pull up stakes and boondock about a half mile down the mountain.

We STILL heard them all night. The screeching sounded like a pagan sacrifice ritual. If I hadn't grown up Mormon, I would have thought the strangest things about the religion.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #59

Name: Kriss
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Nebraska
Which campground membership is that?
Kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #60

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
We were at a campground that had a seasonable behind us with two really loud barking howling basset hounds half the night.....Next day when those idiots took them out I barked at the dogs and got them going immediately...she asked why I was stirring up their dogs....I told her to tire them out early.........she put them in that night..
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote