Rumors from Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2015, 12:04 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, I'm done. I'm not going to beat up on Scamp. I OWN one. It's still about budget and layout. Make Memories!
The smug Escape owner says....

I am with you Donna I think that Scamp builds a great little trailer for its price point & you do have to giggle just a little as to how slow they are to embrace the new age stuff or change how they do things especially communicating with their customers... just a little lost in the 80's.

The Maxxiair vent would be an improvement for sure.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:04 AM   #16

Name: alvin
Trailer: '72 Boler 13ft
Manitoba
I was at scamp picking up some parts, last month, and was told they were trying a different gelcoat. Went for a brief tour and saw one in the assembly area. It was very white and with the lighting on an area looked a little on the blue side. The guy with me said that was what other people said as well. It definitely was busy. With the ones in the assembly area and on the grounds there must have been nearly 50. I have seen at least two people from this site pick up at beginning of April. He said they were pumping out almost 10 a week, and thinking of trying to do 15 but they can't increase staff any more.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:53 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
It's been interesting to me reading the threads over the years of how Scamp doesn't change much with the times. It hasn't seemed to be a problem for sales though, so maybe they are on to something and doesn't really matter. From comments by owners, there seems to be just a few that really come up often. To many rivets (curtain rods/slinky), door seal/hinges (maybe a flat door change?) and on line customer service.
To be fair, Casita doesn't seem to change much either. A few of the newer companies seem to be eager to do custom changes for a buyers wants/needs, even to installing customer supplied items. All makes have a market place and a following which is good. Anyway, just observations from your posts.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #18

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Picked ours up on April 3rd along with Brian. Mine has the front window his doesn't. Do I wish I had the power vent? Not sure. Guess I got the last window. They also put a shower curtain in a 13 and not a 16 how come. I installed my own. Rod brackets and all.
Ken
Old 05-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We got the shower curtain on our 16`. Took it down, did not even know they could be made so light weight. We are kicking around the idea of using a shade to protect the door. There is not that much driving water from the shower. Using the shade will give more space without fighting with the shower curtain all the time. Carl
Old 05-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
As with most things you get the basics right and the little stuff will take care of itself. If your Scamp those basics are pretty well established. Be nice when answering email is one of them but they manufacturer stuff and think like a plant not a dealership.

Some of the companies in the market consider getting the custom work right to be the basics of their business. Have a focus on making the customer part of the process so they end up with exactly what they desire.

Rolls Royce used to have locks on the hoods, only certified RR mechanics had the key. Ford model A had to go up long hills backwards because they lacked ability to deliver fuel to the engine for long on an incline nose up, gravity fed fuel system, tank toward the rear. Somehow both managed to stay in business and thrive. Takes all kinds I guess.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #21

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Carl Pa. I have a Question We have the same trailer layout but ours is minus shower curtain. Our 2013 minus our 2015 minus. Your 2014 Has, I don't get it? I was told ours has the white covering on the inside of the door that waterproofs it. Is it because ours is a deluxe so they give less? I put my own in.
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
scamp 043.jpg  
Old 05-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Carl Pa. I have a Question We have the same trailer layout but ours is minus shower curtain. Our 2013 minus our 2015 minus. Your 2014 Has, I don't get it? I was told ours has the white covering on the inside of the door that waterproofs it. Is it because ours is a deluxe so they give less? I put my own in.
Ken
Two points...
A shower curtain is a must, deluxe or not. in fact if anything it is more essential in the deluxe.
If yours came without a shower curtain rod, be happy.
A conventional shower curtain and rod are too bulky and space consuming for comfort. Replacing it with a cafe' rod and half of a clear shower curtain liner suspended buy stainless key rings makes more room in the shower, easier stowage, and prevents the curtain from clinging to you being pushed buy the cooler air coming in on the door side of the curtain.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0075.JPG   DSCF0073.JPG  

DSCF0069.JPG  
Old 05-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #23

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Gee, such exciting, forward looking changes. NOT!

Walt
Old 05-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #24

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
On PERFECTION??? I have a list of enough objections to know that Scamp is NOT perfect and we all know that no RV is. I think the Oliver would come close. But you WILL pay for it.

I feel the ONLY reason they're starting to change is they're finally looking outside their window at Backus to realize the competition is picking up.. "Happier Camper"? I believe to be the latest.

Unsatisfied customer? How about the one that just picked their new Scamp up only to realize it doesnt have a front window in the bath anymore??? AND they werent told? I would not want my bath without it. The vent should have been an option to ADD not substitute the window out. But, I heard they cant get that window anymore which also means they wont be putting it over the stove area as well I guess.

Have they hinted at LEAST to changing their ugly red stripe??? I had them to put "Scamp" on there but leave off that VERY dated "racing stripe" And a BLACK propane tank??? What is wrong with those people?? Typical Scamp.

Others have stated less emphatically than I that Scamp is WAYYY behind times in making some very much-needed changes both physically and aesthetically to their trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It is ,of course, difficult to improve on perfection, or to break a stereotype.
But dozens of changes have been made over the years many of them in the last decade. I am glad at least that they have not yet decided to succumb to that "bigger is always better" canard... thereby destroying the primary mission of the genre.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Gee, such exciting, forward looking changes. NOT!

Walt
I have seen and worked on just about every fiberglass trailer on and off the market. If I were buying today, it would be a Scamp, hands down.
It appears that "forward thinking" involves ever increasing size and weight.

As for quality and function, nobody yet builds anything to compare to the Scamp Deluxe.
I would happily compare my eleven year old Scamp with anything on the market today...and it was built before some of the newcomers hit the drawing board using "forward thinking ideas" mostly taken from obsolete brands.
Through a policy of constant improvement, Scamp has been satisfying customers for over 45 years and is still expanding production while many so called "forward thinkers" have come and gone.

"Thinking smart" beats "thinking forward" every time.While that involves "thinking forward" it does so with respect for past,..."bringing forward" those things which have proven themselves.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #26

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
But, if you to their FB page and you don't need an account: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scamp...97691030279431 and look at the happy faces........ Scamp allows families and others who could not make a bigger investment to get out and enjoy! Changes cost money to make and who do think those costs would be passed on to? Their weight and price point are two things the others aren't beating and that is a good place to be at.

Yes, they should have let the person that got a vent rather than a window know ahead of time. And, there have been some other issues. But, in the big picture, since I follow the RV world, they do pretty darn good.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Funny I went to great lengths to have my racing stripe replaced as it originally was (how it was positioned in relation to the S of Scamp changed over the years) I like the red pin stripe, and the green tree decals.

Might be why I wanted to buy a Scamp, I like the physical layout and way it is designed and the aesthetics. But then I think old U-Hauls are sexy, EggCampers are way cool, and Bolers are totally groovy.

Some of the newer models are pretty nice too but that is what is great, folks get to buy what they like that makes them feel the FGRV love.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
I've wondered about Scamp's future as a business. They are very casual in how they do things, e.g., I call and ask for the parts department and they tell me that it is closed for the morning because the parts guy had to go to the dentist. On most phone calls I make to them a receptionist answers the phone, but other times it is a salesman that I suspect is older then me (and that means about 70!). Before I got my used Scamp I called Casita numerous times and never had any weird experience. BTW I love my Scamp and chose it over the Casita because of tow and tongue weight.

Tags
scamp