Rumors from Scamp - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #43

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I read Steve's post with amusement and agreement. I bought our 1999 Scamp 11 years ago, a good friend has owned five different RV's in that time. He sells them before they begin looking ratty and loose all value. Similar Scamps to mine are still selling for at or above what I paid for mine. The only non-Fibreglass RV that I would even consider is an Airstream, but I would hate giving up the bed in the loft!

Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #44

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Carl Pa. I have a Question We have the same trailer layout but ours is minus shower curtain. Our 2013 minus our 2015 minus. Your 2014 Has, I don't get it? I was told ours has the white covering on the inside of the door that waterproofs it. Is it because ours is a deluxe so they give less? I put my own in.
Ken
Don`t know Ken, wish they coated the back of my door. I will look into that coating as to what should be used. Sounds like that would be my best option. Carl

Old 05-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #45

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
My worry is that if they were to go out of business where would one get repair parts from?
LOL I don't think you need to worry Scamp builds the trailers uses parts that are readily available at pretty well any RV shop in NA.

As far as going out of biz goes I don't think you need to worry about that happen any time soon, if comments here are correct they are currently at their max production level and no further room to expand.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #46

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Yet they still do not offer any LED lights. And I can talk. Tonight (yes THIS VERY NIGHT) my 1988 Scamp will have brand new LED side marker lights installed, all four of them.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #47

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I think that there is a strong trend toward smaller RV's. This winter while travelling with the Scamp, we spotted more small trailers than I have seen in years, both Glass and stick built.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #48

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
They do offer led lights in the parts department.. Good price $5.00 each
I wouldn't want anyone to think we don't like our Scamp. Quite the contrary - I wish we had known in advance of deliver about the switch to the vent as we ordered last Oct but chose an April delivery. We still would have ordered the Scamp - it wasn't a deal breaker. Did they breach the sales contract - certainly but we still took delivery .
We sold a 2012 Scamp 13 with front washroom because we thought we wanted bigger and had a 2013 17 Casita Spirit Deluxe which we enjoyed but not as much as the small Scamp. Both manufacturers are easy to deal with and both make a fine product.
One final point - with all the talk of the large bed being available on the 13 standard, did you know you can order a 13 deluxe with the smaller bed and get lots and lots of storage?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 05-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #49

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
$5 per LED is not bad, but you can get them for about half that for US made on ebay, search 68 SME LED

Walt
Old 05-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #50

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I like my 1986 Scamp kit.
All I have had to do is repair the frame, replace the floors and axle, rewire, and the rest is pretty much because I want it done my way!
By the time I am finished I will have a lot of labor and a fair amount of money in it, but it will be set up the way I want it and it will last longer than it already has.
Of course a lot of people would not like what I am doing and as a matter of fact I might not either when it is done (or what passes for done). However since I have doe it once I can always do it over.
A great kit and it keeps a 67 year old delinquent off the street.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #51
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Back to the original topic At first I was surprised not to see a 54" bed in the 16' standard. But looking at the layouts I would guess 6 and 7 (Side dinette with and without bath) would be the most popular and tough to modify. Any thoughts?

In my opinion Scamp is the VW Beetle of fiberglass RV's. Keep it simple and keep the price down. Last I heard you could still buy a 13' basic for about $9k. That's tough to beat. Raz
Old 05-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #52
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Rumors from Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Great a black propane tank. I just see the fire reports with the over pressure valve opening up and spewing propane onto hot tow exhaust. Great idea reduce population and vehicles on the road.

I have a 5 lb. cylinder that fits nicely inside a 5 gallon bucket that can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot. I also have the "after market" lid that screws in to the top. Because Lowe's only sells the black lid, I was concerned about heat inside the bucket with the propane tank inside. I did want to keep the tank out of the weather. I bought a white screw on lid from Amazon. To my surprise, when sitting in the sun with a thermometer inside with the propane tank, the was no difference in temperature between the black lid and the white lid. Even a white propane tank left in the sun can get hot to the touch. I'm just not convinced that tank color makes a whole lot of difference as to the likelihood of the tank venting. I did drill holes in the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket just in case the tank valve vents when the lid is on. But I am with Byron on this one. Aesthetically, a black tank? Really! Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #53

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The infrared that heats things up is pretty color blind the wavelength is below the visible light band. The emissiveness of the coating is what is important. A flat black absorbs (and radiates more than a polished surface.
Knowing this I still buy a white car in South Alabama rather than a black one!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #54

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I have a 5 lb. cylinder that fits nicely inside a 5 gallon bucket that can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot. I also have the "after market" lid that screws in to the top. Because Lowe's only sells the black kid,...
What aisle are those black kids on, anyway? I've never seen any black kids for sale at Lowes...
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #55

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I am a lifelong fan of SCAMP after purchasing mine new in 2011. I am grateful that the company is slow to change and is so "retro" in its style and in their business dealings. While it may be a bit difficult to contact a staff member by phone it beats those automaton phone answering systems with a "bazillion" options! I have always received cordial and helpful assistance when I speak to staff members. I believe the SCAMP keeps its value over time because it doesn't change much, is built well and has a good price point. Small and lightweight were selling points for us. Basically, the SCAMP allows us to camp in a glorified tent and tow it with a sedan at a price we can afford!

As to visiting the "plant". We drove to Backus to pick up our new SCAMP from San Francisco. It turned out to be a fascinating trip both to (without the trailer) and from (with the trailer). We saw parts of the country we have never before seen. It was well worth it to make this trip our first "amazing adventure" with the SCAMP. I only wish we had had more time to spend in the Great Boundary Waters of Minnesota. I think it is worth it to go back there for another adventure.

This discussion actually makes me think of my recent trip to New Zealand which was a trip back in time about 50 years! What I'm saying is New Zealanders showed we Americans how to slow down and appreciate everyday. This is a lesson from which we can all benefit.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #56

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Slowing down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
This discussion actually makes me think of my recent trip to New Zealand which was a trip back in time about 50 years! What I'm saying is New Zealanders showed we Americans how to slow down and appreciate everyday. This is a lesson from which we can all benefit.
Gilda, A woman asked me "Do you believe in heaven?". I responded "Why?". She said "You're going there.". Of course she meant New Zealand, definitely a wonderful trip.

Slowing down came with our extended travels and has carried over to the last 15 years.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp