Rumors from Scamp - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #81

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I upgraded to 14" tires when I also replaced my old AL-KO axle on my 16' Scamp. The original was a 4 lug hub and wheels with 7" brake drums. Flexiride does not supply brakes with 4 lug pattern so wheels were to be bought anyway.
Of course one change begets many and this brought about new wheel wells etc.
The 14" tires are taller, but the Flexiride axles are adjustable and that is one reason I chose them.
The 14" load range C tires have more margin than the 13" and the wheels turn slower along with the contact patch larger.
I installed the new wheel wells so that I could keep the lower ride height and maintain clearance to the top.
The axle ended up with less clearance on the sides, but there is enough. I also had to cut out the wheel openings to be able to get the tire on the hub in the case of a flat tire.
One change begets many! I hope it is worth the effort.
Since the original axle was rated 2500 lbs and I have added some weight with the frame and bathroom mods I wanted to err on the side of safety.
I had the Flexiride made to 3000 lb rating so I thought that the tires ahould be good for more than that.
Load range C means that the tire can be inflated cold to 50 PSI and the amount of weight that equals varies with the size of the tire.
The 205 75 - 14 is good for 1760 lbs or 3522 for the pair. The 13" is good for 1360 each or 2720 which is a little close to the running weight for me.
Especially running on hot roads in the summer.
To each his (or her) own.
Of course you could go with 13" load range D for 1610 lb rating, but they are harder to find out on the road if you have a problem.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #82

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Floyd...are your eyes failing??? I never said anything about 15" tires/wheels. .
No but you said "at least 14s" which carries with it a clear implication.!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #83

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Having to change a trailer tire on the side of the road (Done that twice) is so much fun I'll take any additional margin of prevention I can get. On my '95 13' Casita I upgraded the 13" tires to 14", then on my '94 16' Casita I replaced the axle with a high lift and upgraded the 13" tires to 15" LR E. On my Bigfoot, next tire replacement will replace the 14" to again 15" LR E.
Over the years Casita went from 13" to 14" and recently to 15" tires on all their trailers.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #84

Registry
Quote:
"Marathons" caught the most havoc during the hottest "tire failure" period if I recall. From all the posts, one cant HELP but feel there possibly COULD have been a problem with a run of those tires??

[QUOTE
It does not matter what make/size/brand that are on a trailer, tires will fail for a multitude of reasons yet there will be may who will blame it on the Brand &/or size &/or load rating of the tires the manufacture or PO but on the trailer no matter what make &/or size they used
[/QUOTE]
I felt that the "B" rated Marathons were marginal on my trailer when purchased, so I ran them at 40PSI for four years and 27000 miles. I then removed them with about 40% tread evenly worn and replaced them with "C" rated Carlisles.
One can't HELP but consider all reasonable causes of tire failure as well as the possibility of manufacturing defects.

Still the question has to do with whether there is a need for a larger tire or just a desire for one.... Scamp offers 14" tires as an option on the 16 and Standard on the 5er. If there is a cost difference , I'm sure it is negligible.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #85

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Walt! YOU DA MAN!

And for Casita's change....Scamp are you listening????

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Having to change a trailer tire on the side of the road (Done that twice) is so much fun I'll take any additional margin of prevention I can get. On my '95 13' Casita I upgraded the 13" tires to 14", then on my '94 16' Casita I replaced the axle with a high lift and upgraded the 13" tires to 15" LR E. On my Bigfoot, next tire replacement will replace the 14" to again 15" LR E.
Over the years Casita went from 13" to 14" and recently to 15" tires on all their trailers.

Walt
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #86

Uh...for 'needing' 14/15", re-read Walt's post for my sake. Oh...and Casita's gone to 15's? Hmmmm... . Sooo, as the old saying goes my friend...

I REST MY CASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
No but you said "at least 14s" which carries with it a clear implication.!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #87

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post

Walt
I still run 13' tires on my Scamp13D. Having to change a tire on the side of the road is something I have not experienced on my own 11 year old trailer. I'm sure it generally beats the middle of the road though.

I do examine my tires pretrip, check them at every stop, and carry a spare. In the event of a tire failure my BAL stabilizers would make the job much easier than placing a jack in the dirt.

Pursuing the logic further, I see that they do make 24" hoops with a 5 on 4.5" pattern!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #88

Registry
Quote:
Uh...for 'needing' 14/15", re-read Walt's post for my sake. Oh...and Casita's gone to 15's? Hmmmm... . Sooo, as the old saying goes my friend...

I REST MY CASE!
Don't you have to make a case before resting it???

Sooo, as the old saying goes my friend...
"If Johnny jumped off a cliff ....."
Old 05-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #89

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Before we bought our trailer we went to the FL Scamp Camp. I left there with a list of 50 potential trailer mods. one was larger tires since some people had installed larger tires. We stayed with the 13s because we owned a new set. We're now in year 8 of trailer travels and have never had a flat on any of our 16 foot trailers, certainly there's a measure of luck because we have had flats on the tow vehicle.

We do change our tires after 3 years. We don't typically drive in the heat of the day, generally we stop around noon, Like Floyd I check the all tires at every stop and have sensors to monitor them while I drive. Of course we're not the fastest rig on the road.

All the good things said we have driven some awful roads, Ginny calls them the roads from hell. Oh yes, we use Goodyear Marathons. I know some complain about Goodyear but they have worked for us. No time for fixing what works. Generally I go by my own experience.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #90

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We do change our tires after 3 years. We don't typically drive in the heat of the day, generally we stop around noon, Like Floyd I check the all tires at every stop and have sensors to monitor them while I drive. Of course we're not the fastest rig on the road.
Norm, you probably put more miles a year on your tires then a lot of us do in several years of occasional camping trips. How many miles would say you put on a set in three years?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #91

Ok guys...no rumors here on this camper. Floyd and Carol will be thrilled to know I've found a potential replacement for my Scamp...right here in my OWN hometown!! Enjoy...

Eureka Campers Inc.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #92

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Norm, you probably put more miles a year on your tires then a lot of us do in several years of occasional camping trips. How many miles would say you put on a set in three years?
You might be surprised by the answer. When we make a loop of the USA, taking about 8 months, we may only put 10,000 towing miles on the trailer and 20-25,000 miles on the tow vehicle. There are a lot of people who tow their trailer that much in a year. We travel differently than a lot of people. For example we would not tow 4,000 miles to go for a weeks rally in a week or two or even for a month. When we went to the Oregon NOG, it was part of a loop of the USA, one of our longer loops.

I would say we put about 30,000 miles on a set of tires in 3 years.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #93

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I'm not surprised Casita made the change as Trailer Weights in the Real World show's Casitia's historically weigh more than Scamps.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #94

Registry
Quote:
Ok guys...no rumors here on this camper. Floyd and Carol will be thrilled to know I've found a potential replacement for my Scamp...right here in my OWN hometown!! Enjoy...

Eureka Campers Inc.
As you have made in so very clear your not happy with your Scamp on many different levels I would suggest thats the perfect solution. Market is VERY hot right now for used Scamps so its a great time to sell it and buy the trailer of your dreams.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #95

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Just looked at the Eureka camper site that was pointed out. How is this anyway comparable to any molded trailer other than having wheels and being towed? Reminds me of a slide on camper I mounted on a utility trailer 40 years ago.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #96

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Actually, it first reminded me of a homeless persons refrigerator box living quarters mounted on a Harbor Freight "Haul Master" trailer" LOLOLOL.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #97

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
How is this anyway comparable to any molded trailer other than having wheels and being towed? Reminds me of a slide on camper I mounted on a utility trailer 40 years ago.
Oh Come ON DAVE!!! Don't discourage it we and Scamp will thank you later!
Old 05-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #98

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:

Eureka Campers Inc.
Yuck, bleahh. Uggggly!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #99
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:

Eureka Campers Inc.
Just think in 5 years you might be able to use that trailer as a down payment to get the scamp back
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #100

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Just think in 5 years you might be able to use that trailer as a down payment to get the scamp back
Mike, are you certain that trailer would be in tradeable condition in 5-years?

Now, my actual experience with Scamp trailers only started a couple of months ago when I paid the princely sum of $300 for a 13' Scamp! My Scamp had been negected, and not used for several years!

Still, I will admit that I was somewhat surprised to learn about the many leaking areas throughout the trailer. I hadn't thought that a fiberglass pod could leak!

So I groaned and moaned to everyone who would listen. After all, a 37-year old trailer, which had cost me $300 should be in new like condition! Right?

I guess what I'm trying to say is this...Scamp trailers do have some warts, as do most man made products. It appears, based upon messages posted here, that a few owners refuse to admit the possibility that such warts exist. While a very few other owners can see nothing but the warts!

However, it appears that the majority of Scamp owners see the warts, but still love their trailers for many many reasons!

I believe I am in this last group of owners.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp