Rumors from Scamp - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #71

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Last year when we bought our new camper price was the best on a Scamp. For a fix income we can not look at the top of the line. SS only goes so Far . We would like a better camper but I see a Scamp better than a tent. Also it had a better lay out with more room it than some others. Also more counter space than others. Also tows good not like the box type campers.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #72

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
What size tires? Did u get yours with a bath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
Last year when we bought our new camper price was the best on a Scamp. For a fix income we can not look at the top of the line. SS only goes so Far . We would like a better camper but I see a Scamp better than a tent. Also it had a better lay out with more room it than some others. Also more counter space than others. Also tows good not like the box type campers.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #73

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
No water tank , no shower, no stove , no gray tank, 13 inch Scamp tires the 5000 mile ones.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #74

Tennessee
Sounds like yours is on the "lighter" side of the scales that's good. I thought Scamp had gone to at least 14" on the 16's. They NEED to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
No water tank , no shower, no stove , no gray tank, 13 inch Scamp tires the 5000 mile ones.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #75

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Sounds like yours is on the "lighter" side of the scales that's good. I thought Scamp had gone to at least 14" on the 16's. They NEED to.
13" C Load is the standard.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #76

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
So you think they really need 15s
The 13s are rated to carry a 3100# trailer with adequate tongue weight.
Figure the average Scamp actually weighs about 2400# with 300# on the tongue. That leaves 2100# on the axle on tires rated for 2720#.
That's a 30% margin on stock tires... More than adequate for OEM.
That hardly represents a NEED for larger wheels and tires.
Those who desire them can simply order them on their trailer or change them after purchase.

Every one of my cars received new tires on the day of purchase, but I upgraded my Scamp tires only after four years and 27000 miles...(didn't see the need.)
Old 05-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #77

Tennessee
Floyd...are your eyes failing??? I never said anything about 15" tires/wheels. As Carol says, with the 13" C Loads (which is what I have)....rethink... for me, 175's are 1360 each. With my 13' trailer weight 1700lbs empty..yes...they're more than adequate! If his tires are the 185's then again, and his trailer is 2400lbs or lighter, as I stated, he's plenty of safe with them. You were a participant on the Scampers Yahoo group at one time when SO many were writing in that their 16' and 19' Scamp tires were blowing. RARELY ever mentioned was a 13'er. Why??? You KNOW the answer.

Glad to see at least you can still do simple math. Too bad you cant read others' posts correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So you think they really need 15s
The 13s are rated to carry a 3100# trailer with adequate tongue weight.
Figure the average Scamp actually weighs about 2400# with 300# on the tongue. That leaves 2100# on the axle on tires rated for 2720#.
That's a 30% margin on stock tires... More than adequate for OEM.
That hardly represents a NEED for larger wheels and tires.
Those who desire them can simply order them on their trailer or change them after purchase.

Every one of my cars received new tires on the day of purchase, but I upgraded my Scamp tires only after four years and 27000 miles...(didn't see the need.)
Old 05-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #78

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
You were a participant on the Scampers Yahoo group at one time when SO many were writing in that their 16' and 19' Scamp tires were blowing. RARELY ever mentioned was a 13'er. Why??? You KNOW the answer.

LOL well here is my casual observation of the topic of tires - whether it be on Yahoo or here.

It does not matter what make/size/brand that are on a trailer, tires will fail for a multitude of reasons yet there will be many who will blame it on the Brand &/or size &/or load rating of the tires the manufacture or PO but on the trailer no matter what make &/or size they used
Old 05-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #79

Tennessee
"Marathons" caught the most havoc during the hottest "tire failure" period if I recall. From all the posts, one cant HELP but feel there possibly COULD have been a problem with a run of those tires??

[QUOTE
It does not matter what make/size/brand that are on a trailer, tires will fail for a multitude of reasons yet there will be may who will blame it on the Brand &/or size &/or load rating of the tires the manufacture or PO but on the trailer no matter what make &/or size they used [/QUOTE]
Old 05-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #80

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
"Marathons" caught the most havoc during the hottest "tire failure" period if I recall. From all the posts, one cant HELP but feel there possibly COULD have been a problem with a run of those tires??
Perhaps but as they are a very poplar brand amongst trailer owners it could possible have been the number of failures reported was simple related to the number of them on the road vs other less popular brands. Or it may also be that people put so much faith in to the fact they have such a good tire on their trailer vs some no name made in China tire they are not as diligent about checking their tires and maintaining them as they would if they had the cheaper tires.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #81

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I upgraded to 14" tires when I also replaced my old AL-KO axle on my 16' Scamp. The original was a 4 lug hub and wheels with 7" brake drums. Flexiride does not supply brakes with 4 lug pattern so wheels were to be bought anyway.
Of course one change begets many and this brought about new wheel wells etc.
The 14" tires are taller, but the Flexiride axles are adjustable and that is one reason I chose them.
The 14" load range C tires have more margin than the 13" and the wheels turn slower along with the contact patch larger.
I installed the new wheel wells so that I could keep the lower ride height and maintain clearance to the top.
The axle ended up with less clearance on the sides, but there is enough. I also had to cut out the wheel openings to be able to get the tire on the hub in the case of a flat tire.
One change begets many! I hope it is worth the effort.
Since the original axle was rated 2500 lbs and I have added some weight with the frame and bathroom mods I wanted to err on the side of safety.
I had the Flexiride made to 3000 lb rating so I thought that the tires ahould be good for more than that.
Load range C means that the tire can be inflated cold to 50 PSI and the amount of weight that equals varies with the size of the tire.
The 205 75 - 14 is good for 1760 lbs or 3522 for the pair. The 13" is good for 1360 each or 2720 which is a little close to the running weight for me.
Especially running on hot roads in the summer.
To each his (or her) own.
Of course you could go with 13" load range D for 1610 lb rating, but they are harder to find out on the road if you have a problem.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #82

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Floyd...are your eyes failing??? I never said anything about 15" tires/wheels. .
No but you said "at least 14s" which carries with it a clear implication.!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #83

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Having to change a trailer tire on the side of the road (Done that twice) is so much fun I'll take any additional margin of prevention I can get. On my '95 13' Casita I upgraded the 13" tires to 14", then on my '94 16' Casita I replaced the axle with a high lift and upgraded the 13" tires to 15" LR E. On my Bigfoot, next tire replacement will replace the 14" to again 15" LR E.
Over the years Casita went from 13" to 14" and recently to 15" tires on all their trailers.

Walt
Old 05-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #84

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:

[QUOTE
It does not matter what make/size/brand that are on a trailer, tires will fail for a multitude of reasons yet there will be may who will blame it on the Brand &/or size &/or load rating of the tires the manufacture or PO but on the trailer no matter what make &/or size they used
[/QUOTE]
I felt that the "B" rated Marathons were marginal on my trailer when purchased, so I ran them at 40PSI for four years and 27000 miles. I then removed them with about 40% tread evenly worn and replaced them with "C" rated Carlisles.
One can't HELP but consider all reasonable causes of tire failure as well as the possibility of manufacturing defects.

Still the question has to do with whether there is a need for a larger tire or just a desire for one.... Scamp offers 14" tires as an option on the 16 and Standard on the 5er. If there is a cost difference , I'm sure it is negligible.

Tags
scamp