Rumors from Scamp - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #101

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Warts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Mike, are you certain that trailer would be in tradeable condition in 5-years?

Now, my actual experience with Scamp trailers only started a couple of months ago when I paid the princely sum of $300 for a 13' Scamp! My Scamp had been negected, and not used for several years!

Still, I will admit that I was somewhat surprised to learn about the many leaking areas throughout the trailer. I hadn't thought that a fiberglass pod could leak!

So I groaned and moaned to everyone who would listen. After all, a 37-year old trailer, which had cost me $300 should be in new like condition! Right?

I guess what I'm trying to say is this...Scamp trailers do have some warts, as do most man made products. It appears, based upon messages posted here, that a few owners refuse to admit the possibility that such warts exist. While a very few other owners can see nothing but the warts!

However, it appears that the majority of Scamp owners see the warts, but still love their trailers for many many reasons!

I believe I am in this last group of owners.

Bill
Our son has a 1977 Scamp 13, 38 years old. The only thing really wrong with it was part of the floor near the bed. He removed the rotted section and replaced it. Of course the inside and outside needed cleaning and some updating but after a $1000 or so it's their getaway spot, traveling all over the Northwest.

He bought his Scamp before ours and was part of the reason we own a scamp (Ours is only 24 years old).

I'm certain he can sell it for more than he paid.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #102

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Fiberglass "Pods" no not leak. It's all those ugly holes for things like windows, doors and hatches, not to mention neglected rivets, that leak.

However, if it was a 38 y.o. stick-built that was stored like that for that number of years you wouldn't even be having this discussion because it would have reverted to the original wood pulp pile it was made out of in the first place.

Water damage I my 42 y.o. Hunter, that was unused and stored outside in the SF Bay area for 10 years+ before I bought it?.......zero, to my knowledge, never had any save for a water pump leak, and that was minor.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #103

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Our son has a 1977 Scamp 13, 38 years old. The only thing really wrong with it was part of the floor near the bed....

I'm certain he can sell it for more than he paid.
No doubt he can! Even in the condition my Scamp is in today, I have had two offers from people offering to buy it for several times what I paid for it.

Seeing that I do like to buy and sell stuff...as long as I make a few dollars, I was tempted. However, it's highly unlikely that another Scamp this cheap will ever again come my way, I'm keeping it!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #104

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
As someone with a scamp that has had not just one, but TWO belly band leaks, I will argue that the fiberglass itself can and does have some potential to "leak"

Of course I've also had my fair share of window leaks, escape hatch leaks, door leak, and then my own fault, a "waterproof" cable inlet leak (thankfully for me this one was just leaking into the sink until I tightened the connectors).
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #105

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
You might be surprised by the answer..........I would say we put about 30,000 miles on a set of tires in 3 years.
I am not surprised at all. But to my point, you put as many miles on your trailer tires as I put on my daily driver, around 10K a year. I suspect that many, many trailer owners don't put a fraction of that on their camper's tires. I know we have gone camping what I consider a lot this past year (the first year I have owned the Scamp) at around 28 to 30 nights and probably have less than 1500 miles on the new tires. We are blessed with nice, interesting camping and destinations not too far afield although I am starting to expand our horizons a bit. Who knows, another 10-15 years I might get up 10K a year!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #106

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tim, Certainly life is about taking the first step, 30 nights is a lot.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #107

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Ok I have to stop whining about losing our front washroom window.. We stopped by the factory today on our northward trip home. Micah Eveland said he would put one in if we really wanted it but strongly suggested against it. We left without the window install. We stopped go to get the entry door adjusted.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #108

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
Ok I have to stop whining about losing our front washroom window.. We stopped by the factory today on our northward trip home. Micah Eveland said he would put one in if we really wanted it but strongly suggested against it. We left without the window install. We stopped go to get the entry door adjusted.

Brian, it's not whining when a new trailer is not delivered as the sale contract states it will be constructed.

It's whining when someone like me, buys a 37 year old trailer, and whines because of water leaks!

I'm glad to learn that Scamp was willing to install the window for you.

Bill
Old 05-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #109

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not sure why he suggested not doing it. We have the bathroom window and love it. Can't imagine NOT having it. We have the small gravel shield to cover it (came with the Scamp) that we use for traveling and just simply have not had a problem with either!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #110

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
They were having problems with leaks..our 2012 didn't leak as far as we know

Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #111

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Hi all... Alan here. First, we LOVE our 19' deluxe. After it hatched 09/29/08 it continued up into Maine... then to its new home in California. Since then it has been as far as Bahia Honda State Park in Florida (one island or so short of Key West). IIRC, It has visited 40+of the lower 48. GOOD trailer.

BUT...

We may be selling it soon. "We" (after a meeting of the Executive Committee, and with a ONE to NOTHING UNANIMOUS VOTE) have decided it is a tad small. (I know... compared to a 13?? LOL). And I TRULY admire those who go for LONG trips in their 13. WOW. No, "we" are looking at a stickie. Sorry. Slide out and everything. Maybe around 24'. Nothing decided yet... just in the thinking stage.

Earl Arrants (and Greg of the Scamp Owners International group) will Grandfather us in as Fiberglass Emeritus owners, I suppose.

I **STILL** agree with the philosophy behind FG. "Smaller and less complicated is better". Even if I had a ba-jillion $$, wouldn't get one of those behemoths that come with their own ZIP code. And with a basement for servants quarters. And an indoor pool. And, and, and...
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #112

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Alan
Sorry to lose you to the dark side. Take care out there.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #113

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weinel, Alan View Post
Hi all...

I **STILL** agree with the philosophy behind FG. "Smaller and less complicated is better". Even if I had a ba-jillion $$, wouldn't get one of those behemoths that come with their own ZIP code. And with a basement for servants quarters. And an indoor pool. And, and, and...
Ha! I'm sure there are many owners of 13' trailers that would think that a 19' or 24' trailer were "behemoth" trailers!

As a previous owner of a 33' Motor Home, in which my wife and I lived full time in it for two years...and spent several years weekend camping, I can only say...try living full time in a 33' RV, and then tell us how much you dislike them!

However, to be completely truthful....never have I lost so much money on a single item as I did with our 33' Motor Home! More than my first home cost!

Bill
Old 05-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #114

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Full Timing

Quote:
..try living full time in a 33' RV, and then tell us how much you dislike them!
Bill
The Executive Committee has already decided that we will NEVER full time. Going up a tad bigger WILL allow us to stay out maybe 6+ week.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #115

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
.try living full time in a 33' RV, and then tell us how much you dislike them!
Bill
I agree it's easy to get used to luxury, but it's not mandatory. There are many of us that get pleasure from following the KISS principle.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #116

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Hi all... Alan here. First, we LOVE our 19' deluxe. After it hatched 09/29/08 it continued up into Maine... then to its new home in California. Since then it has been as far as Bahia Honda State Park in Florida (one island or so short of Key West). IIRC, It has visited 40+of the lower 48. GOOD trailer.

BUT...

We may be selling it soon. "We" (after a meeting of the Executive Committee, and with a ONE to NOTHING UNANIMOUS VOTE) have decided it is a tad small. (I know... compared to a 13?? LOL). And I TRULY admire those who go for LONG trips in their 13. WOW. No, "we" are looking at a stickie. Sorry. Slide out and everything. Maybe around 24'. Nothing decided yet... just in the thinking stage.

Earl Arrants (and Greg of the Scamp Owners International group) will Grandfather us in as Fiberglass Emeritus owners, I suppose.

The stickies tend to have more luxurious-feeling interiors with loads more cupboard and countertop space. I can understand where the executive committee is coming from. Just a thought... if you can swing it financially, you might want to hang onto the Scamp for a year or two extra (while you use the new trailer) in case the committee reverses course later on. Some folks here have traded away their eggs and later on wished they hadn't; hindsight is 20:20, but foresight very often is nearsighted.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #117

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
The Executive Committee has already decided that we will NEVER full time. Going up a tad bigger WILL allow us to stay out maybe 6+ week.
Alan, you would be a very wise man to listen to the Executive Committee!

My wife and I greatly enjoyed the care free life of living full time in our RV for two years.

However, my wife could tell you of the many times she came across women who were crying in a KOA type campground restroom, all because their husbands had sold their homes to buy a RV, and she had to live in it full time...traveling the highways and byways of the USA! It wasn't fun for the wife to give up her family and friends...and her home!

We had a home to return to, so our two years was just a long vacation! And what a a wonderful vacation it was!

Bill
Old 05-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #118

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I agree it's easy to get used to luxury, but it's not mandatory. There are many of us that get pleasure from following the KISS principle.

Walt
Yes indeed! I have enjoyed both the luxury RV, and many nights spent in a Pup Tent, when we traveled cross-country on a motorcycle years ago.

In fact, I'm seriously thinking about taking the KISS concept to the point that I will not have a water tank, or any 120 or 12-volt power, nor any installed LP fixtures in my 13' scamp! Something like a large fiberglass tent with a large comfortable bed!

I should say that my wife has no interest in my latest toy. She says if there is not room for her sewing machine...she's not going!

Bill

Tags
scamp