Running away - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2008, 05:06 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I have been a camp host all summer long here in New England and now that the season is over and I had my 13ft. camper parked in the back-yard, I thought I wouldn't go out until next May when the snow is all gone...BUT!!!

I find that I am having a hard time adjusting to my life back at home.
No more 7 AM walk arounds, no more getting all bundled up, and going outside to cook breakfast, lunch or dinner.
No more going to take showers when the temps are in the 40's.
No more sitting outside all day listening to the chipmunks running through the leaves.
No more cooking over the wood fire and sitting around the nice warm blaze and walking the 1 mile walk around the campground every hour, from 6:00 to 11:00 pm.

I couldn't stand it...

I got all the cushions back in the trailer...took out some of the things I had packed into the trailer for the winter and "Ran Away From Home".

I got to a campground, only to realize I had no wood and it was COLD and the regular season being closed, there was none to be bought.

I knew friends would be up on thier regular Tuesday night get away but they have been known not to arrive until as late as 9:00pm so I put on every stitch of clothing I had and waited.

My friends being seasoned winter campers would have WOOD and luckily they showed up at 7:30 or they would have had to drag me to their fire to thaw me out.

I only stayed out the one night and now the camper is back in the back-yard but....I left the cushions in it because ...I'll never know when I will want to run away from home again.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gerry...You got it bad son!!! Take two Aspirins and call me in the MORNING!!! Me ...I got a good dose of "WITHDRAWL" and the trailer is under cover 1 hr. away, and "All I got is a photograph to remind me of the places we used to go"
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I went camping last weekend for the first time since I drug the Burro home from my host gig.

I am surprised I did. Thought I wouldn't go for quite awhile from burn out.

I had full hook ups, unlike at Heartbar, and I actually managed to sleep in, walk the dogs when I wanted to, I only peeked into the bathrooms to see the "ick" factor.. and I thoroughly enjoyed relaxing in front of my rig without anyone interupting my "Break" time.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Pack your rig and head south -- Find a National Forest that needs a camp host.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi gerry----i, too, am in withdrawal from camping., my husband dennis put the trailer in the carport and i said.....hey! don't do that. i still want to go camping!! but so far, we haven't gone.
but i don't remove the cushions and stuff from the trailer...only the foodstuffs that might spoil or freeze...does everyone else remove their cushions/towels/etc...????
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 77 Scamp
*peeks head in* am I in the right room.......Hi my name is Brandy...and I too am suffering from P.C.W.S....post camping withdrawl syndrome.....lucky for me my doctor perscibed me these.......

Quote:
hi gerry----i, too, am in withdrawal from camping., my husband dennis put the trailer in the carport and i said.....hey! don't do that. i still want to go camping!! but so far, we haven't gone.
but i don't remove the cushions and stuff from the trailer...only the foodstuffs that might spoil or freeze...does everyone else remove their cushions/towels/etc...????
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
I don't have a trailer any more and the few nice weekends we had---it was "oh I know what I would like to be doing"

I was off work for 5 weekends with a sore back and not able to go camping ---NOT FAIR!!!!!
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #8

bummer....that really is a sad story. Sorry no trailer, not sure why you don't have one but I hope another finds its way back to you.

Quote:
I don't have a trailer any more and the few nice weekends we had---it was "oh I know what I would like to be doing"

I was off work for 5 weekends with a sore back and not able to go camping ---NOT FAIR!!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
Oh, we sold our Boler and are awaiting a new Escape....But I would still like to be out there(although today was POURING rain and COLD!!!)
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #10

Oh well now I don't feel so bad.....a NEW shiney escape....ow la la.enjoy.

Quote:
Oh, we sold our Boler and are awaiting a new Escape....But I would still like to be out there(although today was POURING rain and COLD!!!)

Old 11-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 13 ft Deluxe
gerry,

don't know your circumstances, but San Carlos, Senora, Mexico (beach camping) is great this time of year! It is very inexpensive, lots of international travelers around, ocean view, cold beer.

all that wander are not lost....
dennis k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #12

I know there are other jobs and campsites all over the country willing to hire but unfortunately the wife still has a full time job so I can not stray too far from home.
Also, I had mentioned to the wife that I could become a full timer in our 13ft trailer....her reply was
NO WAY!!!
I guess the thought of getting up every morning and have to go outside to eat or going outside for a walk to go to the bathroom is a little much for her.
I keep looking at larger trailers with bathrooms but she loves her little Boler as long as after a week or so she can come back home to the indoor plumbing.
The campground I stayed at this week was one of the campgrounds that the same company that hired me, keeps open all winter.
During my walk around the 29 sites, I found myself finding lots of things that the host of this campground did not take care of.
Lots of ropes in trees, nails in trees, firepits not clean.
I found myself cutting ropes and pulling nails.
I have to realize that the host of this campground is an elderly man in his 60's so maybe that is why the work wasn't getting done right but who knows.
Again the weather in New England is WARM so the camper is still not covered and in a matter of minutes I can be on the road again.
As far as coushion I do not leave them in for 2 reasons.
Although I sealed all holes, I never know if maybe a mouse will get in somewhere and then there is the mildew problem if they do get damp so it is just easier to take them in the basement.
If I do go out next week I for sure will not forget to bring some wood from home to keep warm until my friends come later in the evening.
Gerry
Old 11-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
OH, OH! Gerry
Whoa back a bit!
What do you mean "elderly in his 60's"? More likely he just didn't care. I'm 68 and STILL canoe, hike and camp. When did I cross the line into Elderly?
You know, "Its OK to get old. You just don't have to BE old."
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It's not Age, it's Attitude!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:11 AM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
I couldn't stand it...
I feel ya', Gerry! I've had a heckuva time adjusting to life sitting still here at the brick-n-mortar home after just 10 weeks on the road. It seems so crowded here (inside and out) and life's just...different. Perhaps this is a hazard they should've warned us about!

J

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #16

oopps, Sorry about that.
I agree with Pete D.
Its attitude not age so maybe I should have said "in his 60's but acts elderly".
Heck I am in my mid 50's with an artificial hip but I will still hike and climb a tree if there is a rope in it to cut down.
I am sure when I am in my 60's I will still be able to do the things I can do now, maybe not as fast or I may have to think of another way of getting it done but I wont just turn my back on it.
ATTITUDE goes a long way.
I've seen others in rehab when I got my hip and thigh bone replaced and they just gave up on life.
I was asking my DR., "when can I go rock climbing again".
Gerry
Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gerry... Age is just "Mind over matter" If you don't mind it doesn't matter!!! My little Titanium insert is like a Timex Watch " Takes a lickin' and keeps on tick'n".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #18

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
It's not Age, it's Attitude!
correct.

My moto:

It's not that I [b]can't do it anymore, it's that I don't [b]have to.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Yep, it can't be age. My eldest brother is 65 (or is it 66?) and he runs in the senior olympics (200 meter dash, long jump, etc) and brings home medals. He also hunts deer all over the place and drags 'em out by himself. I'm 50 and he runs rings around me, physically speaking... and I am not a couch potato, either.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote