Running with propane - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #41

Trailer: 77 Scamp
the tanks are to heavy for me to run with...but I can manage to walk briskly if they are not full
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I never noticed my refigerator not getting cold enough until I switched from Scamp to Casita. I soon realized that my 2003 Scamp had the refrigerator upper vent on the top of the camper while the Casita is on the side. I suspect that was the difference and then added a fan to the Casita. Seems to be much better. Guess I thought all Scamps were that way.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #43

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Cool

Quote:
Well Pete, ya got me there. We run with the Propane on and I don't even know what the Gxxx numbers are ur referring to....

Quote:
the tanks are to heavy for me to run with...but I can manage to walk briskly if they are not full

Ditto!

Ditto! With only one at a time however!

Pete, I even have a carrier on the rear of the Scamp and have carried two bikes back there as well. and an
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #44

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
>snip

Personally, I don't like to run with the LP tank turned on -- One more thing to worry about in a wreck.

Hmm, are the people who run with the LP on also the people who don't pay much attention to the Gxxx numbers?
In a major wreck, I'm not going to worry about propane tank or lines being cut or broken. Propane tanks are made from heavy gauge metal and are very heavy duty. Also, there are flow limiters built into the POL valves on the tanks. In most cases spilled propane will simply blow away.

What I will be concerned about is the flimsy plastic or sheet metal gasoline tank that can spill liquid gasoline all over the road, and take quite a long time to dissipate if it is spilled. It is routine to call the fire department to rinse the road when a gasoline leak has happened after an accident.

-- Dan Meyer

P.S. What is a Gxxx number?
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #45

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
What Pete is referring to are the vehicle and trailer weight ratings - GVW, GVWR, GTW, GCW, GCWR, etc. - http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-v...derstand.shtml

I pay attention to the G***s, but follow the lead of others who have used propane on the road with no ill-effects for decades, but everyone has their concerns, and the discussion never ends.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #46

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I've got a Dometic RM182B that was designed for the VW Westphalia. Darn thing is stubborn to light unless the system has been running on electricity. Pre cooling with the 120 helps, I've run it a few times on propane while travelling and only had it blow out once. My understanding is the intake and exhaust flues on this fridge are designed for travelling while lit.

I tried 12V last trip, but the 3 guys (me, myself and I) that wired the new harness, got things mixed up on the accessory pin 7. +ve on the TV end, -ve on the trailer. A battery fuse on the trailer saved the day, the Rangers alternater did not keep up with the fridge.

I have not installed the fans yet, but putting in a baffle and moving the vents made a big difference in cooling. I posted how I did it here which contains a link to a website on venting.

As for the legality. I know we had to take a bridge in Montreal because no propane was allowed in the tunnel under the river.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane