RV for a Nissan 4 Liter V6, 6500 lb tow cap - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #15

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I'll throw my two cent in here, since I am towing with a Frontier with a 4.0 and a six speed manual. I am towing a 19 foot "white box" ( not a fiberglass trailer ). It weighs 3780 pounds on the scale. You will be hard pressed indeed to find a 23 (or thereabouts) feet hard side trailer that weighs under around 5K pounds. Remember that the tow weight rating of 6300 pounds is really stated for the weight of a boat. Boats pull easier than big square boxes....so long story short is that pulling a 5K pound travel trailer with a Frontier is probably approaching or exceeding practical limits.

MC1 mentioned an Airstream. For sure, you should include those when doing your homework. The key there from a weight standpoint is that you'll need to get one ( as MC did ) that's a bit older. Airstreams got heavier in more recent years.

It's really a good idea to go and spend some time sitting in different floorplans to get a feel for whether a trailer feels "open" or "tight" to you. Personally I love my slide out room, and I would have a very hard time buying a trailer without a slide. To each his own on that issue.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #16

Name: Robert
Trailer: Sonic by Venture
Texas
Pulling a Venture Sonic behind a Nissan Frontier V6

I know this is an old post but I also have a v6 nissan frontier and we looked at travel trailers for 8 months before we settled. We looked at the 15 and 17 foot cracker boxes and the aluminum "Cadillacs" and for awhile we had settled on a Winnebago MicroMinnie 17 foot box. At the last minute we decided on a 22 foot Sonic by Venture. It weighs 4200 lbs empty and a check at the local truck stop proved that to be the case. Even though it has 2 axles, it only has an 800 lbs suggestion for gear and water. That puts the loaded trailer right at 80 percent of the 6500 lbs towing limit. We have pulled it about 600 miles in the 2 months we have had it and, with a weight distributing hitch (tongue weight is about 400 lbs) it pulls very well and, with a flat road and not much wind, I can get up to 70 with it behind me. I try to stay around 60. When I manage to keep control of my speed and the West Texas wind isn't too bad I get around 11 or 12 mpg. We are pulling about all that little truck wants to pull but we are in the safety specs of the vehicle. A trip to the mountains of New Mexico will probably test the real abilities of our setup but that will not come around very often. I am glad we went ahead and got the extra room. It is a comfortable space to be on those rainy days and there isn't a cabin fever issue. The Sonic line is amazing in what they pack into the weights that we were looking to tow. The one-piece roof and the huck bolt frame are two things that I think we will enjoy for a long time. We wanted a bigger fridge/freezer, a dinette slide out, two axles, black tank flush and a decent sized bathroom. We got all that and more in the sonic. The weight that you see on the Venture website is very accurate to what you get and it includes the expected extras like the ac. If you want to get the most out of what your Frontier can give you then I would recommend the Sonic.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #17

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Up Date!!!

Hi: All... Here's a pic of our 2014 5.0TA behind our 2010 Fronty. Lots of differing opinions on the ability of our tug. In theory bumble bees can't fly either.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040545.jpg